Gold paint ?

Ioda

I'm working on the Perfect grade Wing 0 Gundam, but before you blast me for it not being Macross related, I'm not interested in views on the kit. What I need help with is getting the really rich Gold/Yellow paint that shows up on the shoulders and head of the Gundam.

Has anyone found a good smooth gold paint that I can use without having an airbrush? Everything I've seen/used has been pretty flecked.

Thanks.

post-3-1077758992_thumb.jpg

If you don't want to go the foil route, much as I hate to support anything Games Workshop, the Citadel paint gold colors are very nice.... two to choose from, one is shinier than the other....

Looking at that picture, I'd say that the Burnished Gold is the shade you'll want.

Edited by gnollman

try painting the parts silver with testors enamel silver(hand painted works better i think). and then mix a bit of tamiya clear orange and clear yellow and paint over that(airbrush is better, hand paint is possible but may get unevenness). let the silver dry first before applying the clears.

Edited by Eternal_D

I myself went the "Tamiya clear yellow over silver" for my PG W0C, though that's pretty "goopy" stuff too. Thin the heck out of it IMHO, and spray thinly and evenly. It will be VERY apparent if the amount of paint over an area is uneven. Don't try brushing it unless you're felling lucky. Honestly I didn't like the final color very much (their yellow is too green and too orange, simultaneously). I'd try the foil route, or look for craft paint golds, they make some quite finely-ground ones.

Finally, the cheap, generic, tiny-bottle Testor's gold actually is a quite nice paint to work with, and very finely ground. Not quite "chrome silver" smooth, but among the smoothest I know of, for any paint anywhere. Color's rather coppery, but it is about the "smoothest" non-silvery paint you can get, if you don't want to try to foil the curved shoulder pieces.

I wonder why Bandai didn't do like they did with SO many of their 1/100 Wing kits---gold-plate the parts. It's exactly the look most people are going for. And they could do like their MG Hyaku-Shiki and arrange the parts so the "scars" are on the back-side of the parts. Only 3 gold parts in the whole kit, but very important, and should have been plated.

(Ironically, Bandai's gold is actually clear yellow over chrome, but it looks nicer than most people can do, since they vacuum-plate the chrome)

Edited by David Hingtgen