New Trailer for Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

UN Spacy

Didn't Amano design the characters for FFIX?  At least that one seemed to be a far departure from VII and VIII.

Amano did the character designs officially for Final Fantasy I-VI and IX. However, there's reason to believe that Square isn't entirely honest about Amano's involvement in all of the Final Fantasy games.

Officially, Nomura did the character designs for FF VII, VIII, and X. Yet there's a huge difference in the designs between VII and all the later games.

There's also Amano artwork for VII that is 'officially' reported as being done after the fact as promotional artwork only.

Then there's the fact that FF IX's characters were designed well before Amano was brought in on the project. I wish I still had the link, but the website I originally found the artwork at has long since closed it's doors. A good long while before FF IX was released, or Amano was brought on board, there was artwork of several key characters from the game. Afterwards, Amano was brought on board and "designed" the characters...characters that had already been designed. Funny, that.

Still, whether or not Amano designed the characters, the actual ingame designs we see were done by someone else. The same person that turned all of Amano's designs from the previous games into their sprite forms. I forget his name at the moment, but I rather love his work and think he, not Nomura, should be handling most of the FF design work for the main series. At the very least, he should have handled the online FFXI.

It's my belief that Amano did not design the FF IX characters, his involvement was entirely to promote the game with his name attached, since at the time a lot of people were less than happy with Nomura's designs.

I also believe it's entirely possible that the opposite situation occured with FF VII, that Amano designed the characters, Nomura redid them into sprite form, but Nomura was touted as the designer in light of Amnano's decision to leave Square, and Square wanted to make their new head character designer look as good as possible. Unlike the FFIX situation, there's no real proof of this happening. Just a possibility given that we did not hear of Amano leaving Square until after FF VII was already getting lots of attention.

If you actually care still...

When I still got Nintendo Power, they did have a couple of images for "FF 7" when it was planned for the N64. Of course, when Square wanted to do the shiney movies, the cartriage system had no room, so they when with Playstation.

Anyways, the point being, the characters they showed looked nothing like the final ones. They were in such an early stage, they looked like how the characters were done outside of the battles. Maybe he designed the preliminary ones.

• 11 months later...
WHO has seen this movie?

*Raises hand*

WHEN is it out on DVD?

It's out right now on R2 DVD *hugs DVD*. The R1 street date is 3/28/06. It was going to come in January but it got pushed back.

HAVE you seen the LAST ORDER anime?

Yes.

I still haven't seen this movie.

350713[/snapback]

Ummm, okay.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=16208

Edited by azrael