VOTOMS is being rereleased

bandit29

saw this at animeondvd.com. This is a good show.

ARMORED TROOPER VOTOMS - STAGE 1: UOODO CITY DVD COLLECTION

325 minutes

USMD 2436

- Available Fall 2004 -

Newly dubbed, remastered and repackaged with new DVD features, including a director’s commentary.

Caught in an illegal mission to steal military secrets, Armored Trooper Chirico Cuvie is left to die by his traitorous commanders in Uoodo City - a hive of criminals! As he struggles to escape the conspiracy, full-scale invasion breaks out.

DVD Features:

• Director's Commentary (Episodes 1-3)

http://forums.animeondvd.com/showflat.php?...sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I'm impressed they're doing it. I was always under the impression CPM took a hit on the chin when they released all bazillion episodes of VOTOMS, which I didn't think sold very well.

Looks like there's going to be a good episode/disc ratio. Might be worth picking up.

They did kind of botch the release method. Low ep count, increased the price after it was anonounced for much chreaper.

325 minutes? That definately looks more appealing. Let's see the price point. Might pick it up this time.

Edited by Anubis

I know CPM has in the past released Votoms on VHS, but did they ever previously release it on DVD or is this new box set the first time for an R1 DVD release?

And here's some more Votoms questions, which I hope some of our knowledgable members will be able to answer: -

1) Has Votoms ever been been shown on US TV? If so, during which year?

2) Can any of our European or South American members please let me know if Votoms has ever been shown on TV in your country, or had an official licensed VHS or DVD release?

Thanks in advance,

Graham

I could easily do without the dub, but still, this sounds pretty cool :)

Especially a directors' commentary, even if it's only for the first 3 episodes.

And Graham, Votoms was never on US TV. If I'm not mistaken, it was out on DVD (both in boxes and individual discs) for a time, but it's been out of print for a while now.

I know CPM has in the past released Votoms on VHS, but did they ever previously release it on DVD or is this new box set the first time for an R1 DVD release?

I believe VOTOMS was indeed released here on DVD, animeondvd.com has reviews on it. I think it was a situation like the Bubblegum Crisis DVDs where a third party licensed it from the rights holders here (in this case CPM) to release it on DVD.

1) Has Votoms ever been been shown on US TV? If so, during which year?

Yes. It was shown on the International Channel a few years ago. Sometime around 2000-2002.

If it helps, Graham, to the best of my knowledge. VOTOMs has never been broadcast or released on DVD or VHS in the UK.

Well, lets face it, how much anime do we ever see on tv here in the UK? We haven't even had Sailor Moon or Gundam wing except on satellite channels. Even VHS and DVD releases tend to be second rate rehashes of US material, anyone remember a reworking of the original MS Gundam released as Johnny Destiny, Space Ninja? :o

I don't think there has ever been a specific UK release of Votoms on DVD but I have the first 4 episodes of Uoodo City on a region free disc from U.S. Manga Corps.

Edited by Mechmaster

Anime on UK TV is something I've pretty much given up on. I'm lucky in that I'm usually able to afford any series I'm interested in, and in this era of rapid licensing and region-free DVD players I find it a subject I can't get worked up about as much as I used to. However, I know that not everyone is as lucky as I am.

ADV - whatever their other faults - do deserve some praise for rapidly ramping up their UK release schedule. Its probably going to be some time before the UK ever approaches the US as far as anime is concerned, but at least I don't automatically have to consider an import for a series I might be interested in now.

And yes, I remember Johnny Destiny, Space Ninja. I haven't seen it, but had an opportunity to buy a copy several years back and have long regretted not doing so... :p

Edited by F-ZeroOne