How was this allowed to happen?!

wakobi

Whats going on?! How was this allowed to happen? How did Manga get its hands on such a big property as Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex?!?

Manga Entertainment and Bandai to jointly Distribute GitS: SAC in the West (AnimeOnDVD)

I can only hope Bandai keep Mangle in check with some good Quality Control. <_<

I'm praying to every god out there that if Manga get ONE release right let it be this, PLEASE let it be this! :angry:

Edited by wakobi

I don't understand. Co-distribute? How does that work? Who will be handling what? One do the dub, the other the authoring job?

Wierd. With Bandai involved, I would imagine there would be at least some level of QC involved there, thankfully. If it was Mangle alone, I would have wept. :(

The abreviation is GITS SAC

if that does not scream innuendo I don't know what does..

Ag he got my gits sac!

err...yeah. :huh:

anyway, I'm just glad it's finally getting released over here. And as others have said, it's a good thing Manga isn't working alone on it. I'm wondering how the dubs will turn out...

Don't worry about quality of this release.

GITS release by Mangle was normal.

Quality of video depends on transfer quality, but othen telecine transfer exist only ONE, if it good, all world DVD releases is good, if it s*itty - all world DVD releases going to trash.

As example i have Macross Plus Ova and movie from Mangle and R2 from Bandai, quality of transfer is SAME, this mean source for this was ONE telecine transfer.

As example i have Macross Plus Ova and movie from Mangle and R2 from Bandai, quality of transfer is SAME, this mean source for this was ONE telecine transfer.

Manga Macross Plus movie release is comparable to the R2 release?

uh...

uh no... I've owned both. The Mangle version was a VHS dump. The Bandai R2 version is nice and clean transfer.

Maybe this is just a rights issue (like we haven't had enough of those) Perhaps Manga gets their name involved simply becasue they hold the licence to the "Ghost in the Shell" name, but the actual work is being performaed by Bandai.

I'd say it's more likely that since the GITS movie was such a huge property for them, Manga would have jumped at the chance to be involved with the production.

Mangle completely bent us over on the Macross Plus movie edition. Not only was it a VHS dump, with NO remastering whatsoever, but also with the VHS's hard subtitles still etched in. A complete lack of effort on Mangle's part.

I would be very wary of Mangle is handling the actual production of SAC.

I normally don't advocate this but may want to hold onto the fansubs this time just in case. I olny have through ep 3 so I'm SOL at the moment. Hopefully Bandai makes sure it's done right.

Edited by Anubis

Hate to say it guys, but Manga UK confirmed two things last night. Firstly that they would be handling ALL of the authoring, production and distribution (ex.asia) of the GITS: SAC DVD's and that secondly lucky UK anime fans (such as myself) will see the first volume released one day before their U.S counterparts.

It would appear the Bandai's part in this is to be in charge of the series' broadcasting across T.V networks such as Adult Swim etc....

If I wasn't worried to begin with, I am now. :(

ya just reading about that. This blows

Manga UK Clarifies Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Confusion (09:57 PM EST): After yesterdays press release about the joint release plans for the GitS: SAC series this year between Bandai and Manga Entertainment, one reader in the UK sent of an inquiry to the Manga UK branch to see if they could ferret out some information there. According to questions and responses, the following was learned:

"The UK will release the first volume on June 28th, actually one day earlier than the US. " So the date in the press release is only slightly off.

"Manga will handle the worldwide (ex. Asia) releases on DVD and Bandai will handle the TV rights across the same territory. " This makes it clear that Manga will be handling the DVD authoring and distribution of the show. For those keeping track, the Japanese releases are 16:9 anamorphic and have Japanese 5.1 audio tracks on them with 2 episodes per disc. Manga has not yet indicated what will be on the R1/R2(Europe) discs yet.

http://www.animeondvd.com/

never mind

Edited by Anubis

most of us can rest easy

Bandai Entertainment Clarifies Further (07:00 PM EST): Providing a different look at what's going on with the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex series here in North America compared to what we heard from Manga UK yesterday, Charles McCarter of Bandai Entertainment posted this today:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We would like to clarify this issue and prevent any further rumors or speculation from spreading about the release of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Bandai Entertainment will be handling the English adaptation and DVD authoring for the North American release of Ghost in the Shell; we have been working on this for some time already.

Bandai Entertainment will also be coordinating the marketing activities for this title. Manga Entertainment will be handling the distribution for this title in North America. (This is similar to the distribution arrangement we had with Pioneer in the past, but is only for Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.) Manga Entertainment will also be handling DVD distribution worldwide, with the exceptions of Asia and France.

We hope that this explanation will put the rumors to rest. We know that the fans are looking forward to seeing this title released, and we are grateful for your enthusiasm and support.

http://www.animeondvd.com/

Just found that on Anime on DVD. Thank goodness. Manga is just doing distro (satisfying their option on GitS sequels they probably had when they originally liscensed GitS), while Bandai is doing the leg work.

A large sigh of relief, and there was much rejoicing.

And with Bandai, we may get a 6-disc format as well, hopefully!! :D:D They've been among the best so far about being consistent with good episode counts.

Manga's UK rep would have led us to believe they were doing everything. <_< He probably did not get clear info himself, so it's probably not his fault.

Edited by Anubis

• 4 months later...