Pic of Bandai's SOC Zambot and Kanada's bike

GobotFool

Aside from the bike and the eye candy I can't stand the animated Akira.

Neither can I...

But the day I saw one of those real life mock-ups of Kaneda's bike in person and got to sit on it with the ferring down I have an all new respect for that design. I wish I could remember the name of the guy who makes those 1/1 bike mockups because they are one of the neatest things I've seen a geek do in a long time.

I might have to get that bike toy just to have some fun with it... and it seems it is in 1/12 scale to boot which will match most of the other real world bike models there are on the market.

Aside from the bike and the eye candy I can't stand the animated Akira.

Neither can I...

But the day I saw one of those real life mock-ups of Kaneda's bike in person and got to sit on it with the ferring down I have an all new respect for that design. I wish I could remember the name of the guy who makes those 1/1 bike mockups because they are one of the neatest things I've seen a geek do in a long time.

I might have to get that bike toy just to have some fun with it... and it seems it is in 1/12 scale to boot which will match most of the other real world bike models there are on the market.

While I like Akira alot, I agree it is one of the most overated animes out there.

1/12 scale, is that larger or smaller, or the same size as the McFarlene version?

Edited by GobotFool

Wow...all of the SOC fans that thought it was such an unholy travesty for Evangelions to be part of the SOC line must really be shitting their pants to see the line infiltrated by Kaneda's bike. Heheh. :p

The bike looks nice, but I'm not much for Akira so I'll pass. Zambot looks interesting, but I'm completely unfamiliar with the character/mecha.

Wait, a SOC Kaneda's Bike should be about the size of a micro machine car, and cost a hundred bucks...

Stange, if this one is that big... :blink:

It's not a Chogokin. It's a Popynica (sp?). So it's not all metal. And thus it's cheap(er).

But if I'm reading the ad right, it DOES have a die-cast frame.

It actually looks like it's a pretty decent size for the price. 200mm long, which is about 7.9". I think that's about the same size as the McFarlane one, but it looks a hell of a lot better.

And according to HLJ, the price is Y6500. Not too bad...

http://www.hlj.com/cgi-perl/hljpage.cgi?BAN922945

Wow...all of the SOC fans that thought it was such an unholy travesty for Evangelions to be part of the SOC line must really be shitting their pants to see the line infiltrated by Kaneda's bike. Heheh. :p

The bike looks nice, but I'm not much for Akira so I'll pass. Zambot looks interesting, but I'm completely unfamiliar with the character/mecha.

SOP is different. It's more focused on the anime vehicles. SOC (GX) and the usual Chogokin (GD), not The Chogokins have always focused on robots; and I've always had this impression that anime robots with at least 20 years of history are bestowed the SOC title. I was proven wrong with the Eva units inclusion - perhaps the sure-sale figures has proven too irresistible to the fellas at Bandai to deviate abit.

SOP is different. It's more focused on the anime vehicles. SOC (GX) and the usual Chogokin (GD), not The Chogokins have always focused on robots; and I've always had this impression that anime robots with at least 20 years of history are bestowed the SOC title. I was proven wrong with the Eva units inclusion - perhaps the sure-sale figures has proven too irresistible to the fellas at Bandai to deviate abit.

My bad, BoB, I didn't notice that the bike was SOP until now. Actually, I've never heard of the Soul of Popynica line, what does Popynica mean?

Taken directly from ToyboxDX's Glossaly DX!

POPINIKA/ POPYNICA - A word made by combining "Popy" with the Japanese spelling of the word "Mini-Car." (Mini-Car is the Japanese name for "hot wheels" or "matchbox"-style car toys.) Popinika are representations of the cars, motorcycles, rockets, aircraft, and other vehicles used by animated and live-action characters in their respective shows. The release of the first popinika predates the first Chogokin by several months.

For more hobby-related words, go:-

http://toyboxdx.com/glossary.html

Edited by Beware of Blast

Wow, that bike looks nice. I've always liked the design of that bike. If this turns out to be all metal, then I'm buying it. But if it's just plastic, I'll pass on it. So when can we finally see a voltes V or Daimos to the SOC line? Man I hate waiting! :p:D:lol:

Zambot looks very cool...lovely "old school" design :D

The bike looks nice even though it's a completely unrealistic performance motorcycle design that a lowly Honda Rebel could effortlessly school on even the most moderetly twisty of race tracks :rolleyes: ...ye gods! with that front rake, long wheelbase, and lack of ground clearence good old G1 Optimus Prime has a smaller turning radius than Kaneda's bike :blink:

The bike looks nice even though it's a completely unrealistic performance motorcycle design that a lowly Honda Rebel could effortlessly school on even the most moderetly twisty of race tracks :rolleyes: ...ye gods! with that front rake, long wheelbase, and lack of ground clearence good old G1 Optimus Prime has a smaller turning radius than Kaneda's bike :blink:

Yeah. But the bike looks so damn cool. B))

-b.

Allthough the bike is from an anime cartoon that has just soooo much basis in reality I always was under the impression that bike was more of a drag bike than a crotch rocket. When it comes to drag bikes it has a few things going for it... but as for a crotch rocket it is useless. Having sat on one of the 1/1 mockups (those mockups are just for display, no engine or other things to make them work) I got the feeling almost of claustophobia behind that ferring and sitting back in that ramped side seat. That bike has more in common with a top fuel dragster than a street bike.

I think that is why I like the design so much, it just screams speed with absolutely no handling.

i can't wait for the SOP bike! real-world functional or not, the design is classic and cool. :)

although it's not fair to compare with mcfarlane's based on materials and price, bandai at least has the design + proportions right! i mean, as detail obsessed as the mcfarlane guys seem, i don't know how they let that design out with the huge wheel in the back, small wheel in the front, improperly fitting kaneda, and horrendous engine/mechanical detail. *ugh* :angry:

here's hoping to as many of the actual decal/sticker designs as possible!!!

Allthough the bike is from an anime cartoon that has just soooo much basis in reality I always was under the impression that bike was more of a drag bike than a crotch rocket. When it comes to drag bikes it has a few things going for it... but as for a crotch rocket it is useless. Having sat on one of the 1/1 mockups (those mockups are just for display, no engine or other things to make them work) I got the feeling almost of claustophobia behind that ferring and sitting back in that ramped side seat. That bike has more in common with a top fuel dragster than a street bike.

I think that is why I like the design so much, it just screams speed with absolutely no handling.

It wouldn't even be a good drag bike...the only thing it has in that department is the long wheelbase, the laid back front rake while adding straitline stability at speed is fairly useless under hard acceleration as it isn't a responseive enough setup for the minute ajustments needed just to keep the bike going in a strait line...compounding that is the laid back low slung seating arrangement...while this makes for a good set up on cars (even drag cars)....it doesn't work well at all for a bike where the rider is required to shift thier own weight around to make the bike perform....

No the bike won't make even a halfway decent "crotch rocket"...but then again drag bikes are mostly long wheelbase modified "crotch rockets" anyway, so those bikes have been doing something right all these years (not to mention that such crotch rockets even in showroom stock unmodified condition are the quickest production drag bikes you can buy...hell, quickest production street vehicals you can buy period!)

Here's actual production scooter type of Kaneda's bike:

http://www.ymg.urban.ne.jp/home/madr/conte...stingrayhtm.htm 

Production?...erm, no it's only a custom with a 250cc motoscooter powerplant.

i prefer the suzuki bike inspired by kaneda bike's

whoa. that's pretty cool!

when did that come out? and what info is there on it?

It never came out...that is a concept bike. Just like the car industry the bike industry produces a number of one off custom concept bikes for the yearly industry shows. Most such one off bikes never see production...

A real production Suzuki bike (scooter actually) that draws inspiration from the concept bike:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/AN650K4/