Macross Frontier English Dub Cast Predictions/Theories Thread

Since most of the Macross franchise is to be available on Disney Plus later this year, there’s a chance that the series may get some English Dubs

so who would you think would voice which character in English?

My pick for the main trio

Alto - Bryce Papenbrock

Sheryl Nome - Cristina Vee

Ranka Lee - Brianna Knickerbocker or Cassandra Lee Morris

Eh... I'd expect that they'll be subs-only when they debut since most of them haven't been dubbed before.

Production of any dub(s) would likely fall on the various distributors who licensed the titles for global distribution like Nozomi Entertainment and Animeigo... and they might not even bother given that subs-only is basically the norm for streaming anime these days.  If they were going to Sony Crunchyroll, I'd expect a dub to follow eventually months or a couple years after the fact because they do their own via their merger with Funimation.

Given how proprietorial many distributors are about their stables of voice actors, I wouldn't even begin to hazard a guess at who'd get cast for who.

6 minutes ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I loathe dubs in general. But ones with singing just sound stupid.  The voices do not match. 

Do they even dub songs anymore?

I don't really do dubs anymore, but last I recall the practice of re-recording or outright replacing songs was largely abandoned by the mid-1990s because it was expensive and the distributors increasingly felt it was unnecessary for most audiences.  The only distributor I recall doing it past that point was 4Kids.

37 minutes ago, JB0 said:

I think I heard they cast Chris Pratt for everyone.

Jack Black as Basara :lol:

In all honesty, I highly doubt any previous Macross anime will get dubbed, except for perhaps future upcoming ones.

Who would fund that kind of production just for a Disney+ stream release?

Edited by VertexNebula

5 hours ago, VertexNebula said:

Jack Black as Basara :lol:

I’d watch the dub version just for that. But to be honest, it will probably just be a bunch of the usual no name over actors they usually get for modern dubs.

Christopher Walken for Exedol’s head in Macross 7 please

1 hour ago, Big s said:

Christopher Walken for Exedol’s head in Macross 7 please

I was just going to suggest Walken for all roles. Pretty much the only way that I'd enthusiastically listen to a dub.

On 4/10/2024 at 4:26 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Do they even dub songs anymore?

I don't really do dubs anymore, but last I recall the practice of re-recording or outright replacing songs was largely abandoned by the mid-1990s because it was expensive and the distributors increasingly felt it was unnecessary for most audiences.  The only distributor I recall doing it past that point was 4Kids.

Not that I have seen.  But I haven't watched a dub for a long time.  I did see Island episode 12 on youtube and when Tamura Yukari starts singing, I fell over laughing. 

I meant that dubs for Musical animes just don't work.

3 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

Not that I have seen.  But I haven't watched a dub for a long time.  I did see Island episode 12 on youtube and when Tamura Yukari starts singing, I fell over laughing. 

I meant that dubs for Musical animes just don't work.

After some research, it seems that this practice was Not Quite Dead as recently as the early 2010s.

Funimation apparently occasionally/rarely indulged by recording English versions of OPs or EDs for a few titles including Ouran High School Host Club (2006), Fruits Basket (2001), and Free! (2013).

I'd thought the practice had died out back in the 90's, as the last case I could recall that wasn't 4Kids replacing songs outright was Tenchi Universe back in '97.

20 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

After some research, it seems that this practice was Not Quite Dead as recently as the early 2010s.

Funimation apparently occasionally/rarely indulged by recording English versions of OPs or EDs for a few titles including Ouran High School Host Club (2006), Fruits Basket (2001), and Free! (2013).

I'd thought the practice had died out back in the 90's, as the last case I could recall that wasn't 4Kids replacing songs outright was Tenchi Universe back in '97.

Really.  I know that Seto no Hanayome 2007 (My bride is a Mermaid) did it for an insert song, Your Gravitation.