Oy vey! Another merger. Not sure what I think about this one, but I got sent a message from RightStuf today letting me know about it. RightStuf/Nozomi is merging with Crunchyroll/Sony. 

It’s also all over the internet now. :blink:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-08-04/crunchyroll-purchases-anime-retailer-right-stuf/.188366

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2022/08/04-1/crunchyroll-closes-deal-to-acquire-anime-superstore-right-stuf

Edit: It looks like RightStuf had to remove its entire line of adult anime, manga, and figures to prepare for the move. A separate company is now getting ready to step in and sell these abandoned products.

Edited by technoblue

• technoblue changed the title to RightStuf joins Crunchyroll
3 minutes ago, Big s said:

Hopefully that means that more of their stuff ends up streaming

According to the FAQ, these points are still being worked out. The one thing that is known today is that RightStuf/Nozomi had to abandon all their adult products for the merger. I edited my original post to include that point.

Another company is stepping in to sell the 18+ products (anime, manga, and such).

The me of 5+ years ago would be pretty upset about this,   I ordered from them almost exclusively and had a string of years where it got crazy how much $$ I spent with them.    Then their customer service completely fell apart,  because of this they lost my business and I literally cold turkey cut them off.     As of late the only things I was getting from them were Right Stuf exclusives like Aniplex titles,  and Sunrise items.    

They were literally the defacto anime distributor in the US.   Sentai, Funi, Aniplex.. Sunrise, BigWest..      I would be curious if Sentai pulls out now that CR owns their distribution methods. 

RS at least packed their items like they gave a ****,  unlike amazon where it was Wild West with how much protection things had.

Edited by Stampeed Valkyrie

2 hours ago, technoblue said:

According to the FAQ, these points are still being worked out. The one thing that is known today is that RightStuf/Nozomi had to abandon all their adult products for the merger. I edited my original post to include that point.

Another company is stepping in to sell the 18+ products (anime, manga, and such).

I’m not really concerned about the 18+ items. I’m just curious since a lot of the right stuff and partnered companies had the licenses to some nice retro stud as well as almost every gundam show and may be getting some of the Macross stuff. I’d love to have those on a streaming site rather than have to buy the shows. I’m not totally against hard copies, but I’d love the streaming option 

I expect this change won’t effect outside licensors like Discotek or GKids too much. How this effects Nozomi’s license contracts, I have no idea at this point. You do raise a good point about Gundam, @Big s.

However, I’m still into the physical stuff. ^_^ I don’t get the feeling that blu-rays and such are going away…yet. Certainly, more streaming would be good for those who lean that way. It’s just that for me, personally, it’s not a must have. I’m not one to have more than a few streaming contracts at once. 

The adult stuff I can deal with too, but I’m curious to see what falls into that category with Sony holding the censorship hammer.