Who's into Airsoft?

I figured that we had that real weapons thread a while back, so I'd start an Airsoft one.

Anyways, who on MW is an airsofter? Or who just likes, collects, whatever, airsoft?

I'm just getting into the sport. I had a coupl eof springers, and one gas, but nothing too good. Today, however, I bought my first real battle worthy gun, a KWA, gas, fully automatic, Beretta M93r. It's got great power and accuracy, and good ammo capacity, so it could stand up to AEG assacks quite well. And it's mobility is great in a CQB situation.

I'll take a pic or two next week when my Treo comes.

So, other airsoft owners, what do you guys have? And how into it are you.

And, by the way, I know one of the SoCal guys is pretty hardcore. Where do you guys play? I'd be interested in coming on a walk-on day, if they have them at one of the fields around.

I'd like to start collecting these but it'll get waaaay too expensive for me. I know for sure that Solscud is into air soft and possibly kidkorrupt too. One of these days I'll get into it, but not now. :p:D:lol:

I've recently started designing my own guns; turning a passtime into a career is really fun! :lol:

Sadly, the oppressive commie government of canada doesn't allow us to collect Airsoft guns anymore; they DO however allow us to own BB guns, which, unlike airsoft, fire metal pellets which can be lethal at close range... Someone please explain to me the rationale behind that one! <_<

Airsoft and Macross, two great tastes that taste great together. I have been into airsoft for a while now and I agree, it is way to expensive and purchasing a real gun would be a better investment. However, for anoying neighbor dog/cat controll I can recomend no better weapon than a supressed TM MK.23 Socom. Extremely accurate, high amo capacity, and best of all, quiet. :ph34r:

Airsoft and Macross, two great tastes that taste great together. I have been into airsoft for a while now and I agree, it is way to expensive and purchasing a real gun would be a better investment. However, for anoying neighbor dog/cat controll I can recomend no better weapon than a supressed TM MK.23 Socom. Extremely accurate, high amo capacity, and best of all, quiet. :ph34r:

Just for the sake of my own concience and for pet owners everywhere, please don't shoot the animals. :(:lol:

I own one Airsoft pistol, a cheap spring cocking Beretta that I use to plink soda cans off the couch for fun... when the thing is not being tempermental and jamming or freezing up. It came with a neat little sticker on it rife with engrish informing me not to "shoot at the creature". :ph34r:

You do bring up a good point about Airsoft though that even I as an outsider noticed: the price.

Airsoft AK-47: $300... real working Romanian MAK-90 at the gun store: $300.

Bag of Airsoft BBs for that gun: about $15... 50 rd. box of cheap-ass Wolf 7.62 for the real gun: $15

Weird.

Well, you have to realize that the high end airsofts aren't just for collectors.

With a real gun, you can't exactly shoot at each other and walk away from it.

Real guns are much harder to get.

Real guns are loud, whereas you can fire an airsoft in your backyard or whatever with no problem.

And that 15.00 bag of pellets contains 5000 rounds.

One thing you also have to realize is that airsofts are most popular in Japan, where you simply can't (legally) get a real gun.

Plus, you can have the fun of full auto assault rifles with airsoft, something very hard to obtain in California.

And, when you really thing about it, a Tokyo Marui AEG, which can be had for as little as 200 bucks, is really no more expensive than a quality paintball gun.

And, by the way, if you think airsofts are light and plastic, you should check out some of the high end stuff. My new 93r, while mostly plastic, is a special "heavy weight" plastic that has a metal content, making it weigh nearly as much as the real steel, and some components are real steel, like the magazine. And it's pretty dang solid, too. You could probably use the thing as a hammer.

And, Duke, by the way, what's the problem? You can't stand to see an O/T thread stick around for a couple of hours?

Edited by Commander McBride

I'm into Powderhard.

Yup, count me in as another "real steel" collector too. I devote enough of my limited budget on them to fool around with Airsoft as well.

And Captain America, there's still a few Airsoft importers operating within our borders. Not many, but there are one or two. If you ever wanted something I'd get it now before they decide to clamp down on them.

I used to collect, but I never got into the clubs or anything. I had a gas blowback Luger that was really cool, an M93 and an AEG rifle (Tokyo Marui I think). I never had any problems with jamming. I sold them, along with tons of other stuff, when I decided that I had to eliminate the credit card debt.

I kind of regret getting rid of the Lugar, but I really have no use for it.

Another airsoft collector here.

Seeing some of Solscud's collection when he posted it on this forum a couple of years ago got me psyched up about it. He's probably that "hardcore SoCal collector" that you mentioned.

I have an unhealthy fascination with weapons, but I'm not all that thrilled about having a "real steel" assault rifle (or pistol, even) in the house. Something about excessive lethality. I'd personally rather have a $1000 airsoft AK-47 than a real $300 AK-47. (not that I even like AK's)

Airsoft lets me collect interesting replicas of weapons. And in the event that I ever want to make a fool of myself, It's easy enough to find a local game out in the "bush" and use said replicas to legally shoot at other fools. :p

I only ocassionally use the guns out into the backyard to plink targets taped over the open end of a trashcan...

For most of the airsoft guns available nowadays, you can buy metal body kits to increase their realism. My full-metal SR-15 RAS must weight in pretty close to the real deal. That's one gun that I'd hate to lug around the field all day.

Guess I'd never be able to cut it in the army. :p

BTW, anyone know how viable these are as a non-lethal home defense weapon?

I've heard of pretty gruesome injuries from close-range contact with airsoft weapons. I'd imagine that it'd be pretty painful to be hit with a couple hundred BB's travelling at 275+ fps in the space of a minute.

My modest collection:

Sig552 SEALs

Glock 23

M41A pulse rifle (Aliens) / M1A1 Thompson

IMG_0519_small.jpg

Knight's SR-15 RAS

IMG_0541_small.jpg

Felix

Edited by flyboy

Nice pulse rifle flyboy, I built one of those for a friend recently, where did you get the "grenades" ?

Got the grenades and box from a seller on eBay.

He machines them himself. They're made from 6061 aluminum with a brass "primer".

Nice workmanship

Here's his website:

http://www.m41a.com/

Drop me a PM if you want his contact info.

Felix

DAMN! I had no idea that airsoft was so finely and accuratly detailed. The only drawback that I have learned through "research" is how short range and relatively inaccurate they are at extended ranges. The sniper rifle is nice, but they really really need to find a way to up the range. Maybe propel the plastic ball with say... a 17 Rem cartidge :) would double the effective range, and be lethal at about 12" :D

Nice M41A pulse rifle, where they heck did you buy that?

EDIT------

correct me if I'm wrong... its a Thompson with a "conversion" kit on it to make it a pulse rifle??

Edited by Southcross

Hi Bsu.

"And Captain America, there's still a few Airsoft importers operating within our borders. Not many, but there are one or two. If you ever wanted something I'd get it now before they decide to clamp down on them."

Might you possibly be able to recommend a source for these in Canada? I've been searching relentlessly on the internet, but a lot of the links to retailers that look promising end up being dead or outside the country, and I don't think we're allowed to import them from outside... Unless I'm missing something?

Cheers,

Might you possibly be able to recommend a source for these in Canada?

Hi Cap,

Here's all I have left for working links to dealers in Kanuckistan...

http://www.rangersairsoft.com/index2.html

http://www.air-soft.com/

Also, you could check the forums at

http://www.planetairsoft.net/

or

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/index.jsp

I think some of the sellers have gone "underground" so to speak.

and I don't think we're allowed to import them from outside... Unless I'm missing something?

Well, that's the trickey part. For average schmoes like us, importing one is indeed like trowing money away. If you can even find a dealer who will ship to Kanada, the odds of it getting siezed by customs are pretty good. However, if can find one of the few dealers left in the country then there's nothing illegal about buying one. I don't know how these guys are getting their stuff into the country, but I hear that those days are coming to a close. Technically, there's nothing illegal about airsoft, as they should qualify as low-velocity airguns under our commie laws. But as you know, the Liberal govt will simply rewrite the law whenever and however it suits them. <_<

BTW, anyone know how viable these are as a non-lethal home defense weapon?

Useless.

Airsofts, no matter how "hopped up" are still toys. (Yes, no matter how much some people will argue airsoft things are toys as they serve no practical purpose, are mostly made of plastic and in several countries are marketed towards children and adults to "play games" with) Most of the super powerful ones that I have seen (600+ fps) are horribly inaccurate, lose power quickly over distances and cannot even break the skin through clothing. Airsoft is all bark and no bite, the guns look intimidating but when it comes to home defence when your life and the lives of your loved ones are in peril I place my faith in my .45, not in a toy. Because most home invasion robberies are perpitrated by armed thugs, not your run of the mill scrawny teenager with a razor blade. I'd rather face a perp with a real piece than a toy because that toy will still get you shot either way because it looks like a real gun... the only difference is with a real gun you can at least fire back with the same if not more power than the perps are shooting at you. "Low lethality" devices are good and all but they are used when it is possible to take someone down without the use of deadly force... in the case of an armed home invasion you are usually put in a kill or be killed situation and that is no place for toys.

I fully understand people buying airsoft because they cannot afford, don't want or are afraid of the real weapons... but if you ask me, never place your life in the balance with one of those toys. If you think that there is a chance you will ever need to defend yourself (which to be honest is very very rare) then I'd advise buying a real gun and keep it locked up under your bed just in case. A nice home defense shotgun can be had for under $175 nowadays, those have increadible stopping power but will not penetrate walls if you live in an apartment or large house... and all it takes to own one of those in every state of the union is being 18, having the money to buy it and filling out the NICS yellow sheet (background check).

All I'm saying is don't ask a toy to defend your life. I'll just back out of this thread again as I doubt you guys want to hear me lecture you about defense and the "way of the gun" any more than this. :p