Macross Delta Zettai Live!!!!!! - Available on Blu-ray Sept 28, 2022

Marzan

14 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Yup.

Macross Delta is a metaseries that brings a lot of Unfortunate Implications to the table that the story acknowledges but never properly examines or resolves because they make the heroes (Xaos) look incredibly bad.

I wonder how the story would have differed if they had fully examined/ resolved that issue?

Yeah, I guess they were trying for the same kind of bait-and-switch that Macross Frontier did when they hinted that Ozma was going to die.

Passionate Walkure makes it look like Messer's going to survive when he dodges the shot that killed him in the Macross Delta TV series... only to die anyway a few minutes later from the damage Var syndrome did to his body.

I think they need to stop with the "gimmick deaths" and stupid twists already, JMO.

Yeah, Humanity was engineered the same way the Protoculture created the other humanoids in the galaxy.

The topic comes up for the first time in one of the post-timeskip episodes of Super Dimension Fortress Macross, "Satan's Dolls", where the implications of the earlier discover that the Zentradi are virtually identical to Humans genetically are discussed... including the conclusion that Humanity is another creation of the Protoculture.  The official timeline and other materials explicitly confirmed that conclusion as fact, and even in-story it's essentially treated as the only reasonable/sane explanation for why every sentient species other than the Vajra is humanoid and apparently genetically compatible enough to produce viable hybrid offspring.

Macross Zero confirmed it in-story, when Humanity found the failsafe the ancient Protoculture left behind on Earth in case Humanity were to develop into a spacefaring species before resolving its own internal disputes.

Now, why is it I can imagine that if they ever found that the Protoculture survived, that Humanity, Zolans, Windemerans, Zentraedi/ Meltrandi, Marduk and the rest of the gang drag them into Intergalactic Court and sue the pants off them? :p

7 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I wonder how the story would have differed if they had fully examined/ resolved that issue?

Well, the Xaos PMC the protagonists belong to would probably have been absorbed into the New UN Forces the way SMS was late in Macross Frontier.  Xaos are mercenaries, so the rules of war prohibit them from participating in a declared war between nations and they can't claim prisoner-of-war protections because they're unlawful combatants.  That's something that comes up briefly when Hayate, Mirage, and Freyja are captured and put on trial in the TV series.  Xaos being drafted would have likely changed the course of that entire conflict dramatically since they would've collaborated with the Brisingr Alliance NUNS instead of ignoring them and getting underfoot.

The stuff surrounding Lady M's crimes might not change too much... except perhaps making Heimdall the good guys in the Absolute Live!!!!!! movie for wanting to bring Lady M to justice instead of arbitrarily trusting that she's the Big Good.

I think they need to stop with the "gimmick deaths" and stupid twists already, JMO.

Yeah, Messer's death was poorly handled in both versions.

Roy's death in the original/DYRL? and Ozma's fakeout in Frontier are both impactful became the character was loved by the audience.

Messer's death in the Macross Delta TV series and first movie fell incredibly flat because he was an antisocial jerk who was rude to basically everybody and his death was badly telegraphed by him being an undeveloped character until right before his death.  Trying to play him off as a beloved colleague after the fact fell hilariously flat, and the reveal he carried a torch for Kaname is kind of creepy in hindsight because his "distant guardian angel" routine just means he's a benevolent stalker.

It was only one-upped for terrible presentation by Absolute Live!!!!!!'s painfully telegraphed character death, with...

Spoiler

Freyja

... seemingly feeling compelled to not only cover the Death Flag Greatest Hits but also raise a new death flag every other line of dialog.

Now, why is it I can imagine that if they ever found that the Protoculture survived, that Humanity, Zolans, Windemerans, Zentraedi/ Meltrandi, Marduk and the rest of the gang drag them into Intergalactic Court and sue the pants off them? :p

I'm sure the statute of limitations has run out after more than half a million years.

• 2 months later...
  • azrael unpinned this topic