looking for guide to paint 1/55s

bigkid24

I swear that a few months ago someone had posted a nice step by step guide to customizing Bandais. I can't find it through the forum search and was wondering if someone kept a copy of it. Unfortunately, I don't remember who wrote it.

If you have it can you post it or e-mail it to me? Thanks.

I would dive into this, but to be honest, I'm doing so many 1/55 customs, that it consumes my time aside from writing music and the band and juggling women. But listen, most important thing: Remember how you took it apart and don't lose pieces. That's rule #1 :p

No real tricks to painting a 1/55. Here is my process:

1. remove all decals and use goo gone to get the stickiness off.

2. clean with a soft toothbrush to get dust and crud. Soap and water can aid this.

3. quick rubdown with alcohol

4. take the sucker apart - remember what parts go together and what screws go where. The screws are basically identical throughout, but the threading is sometimes off and can make it hard to replace later.

5. using a Wizard (or Dremel), sand down areas that will rub. I do the tail wings, the underside of the back plate where the main wings sweep in, the airbrake hinge, the inner part of the forearms where the hand slides, the shoulders, the elbows, and the knees.

6. use primer if you are radically changing the color, or using a light color, like orange or yellow. Otherwise, primer is optional for me. Make sure you allow a few hours drying time before touching the parts.

7. clearcoat everything before reassembly

8. touchup then reapply clearcoat after assembly.

Hope that helps. Please PM if you have any other questions.

tank asked me a question about washes so I figured I'd throw this up. It's not a valk but I think it's pertinant info.

First I washed it.

Then I primed it black

ten I gave it a quick coat of black paint

then I drybrushed it with gunmetal

then I gave it a brown wash over a tiny bit of red wash on the feet [for a rusted effect].

here is a pic I posed it for. Only the lower half has been given the brown wash so you can see the difference. Only the very bottoms of the gun barrels were washed at this point as well . I believe I posted a pic of the finished one in the custums thread if anybody wants to see it.

here is another picture of a wash. The entire custom was primed and painted black. Minor detail was added, such as the blood/gore inside the cockpit. I then gave it a couple of washs of red, one in fighter mode and one in battroid mode. You can see the concept behind washing best on the wings and the chest plate. The pigment collects at the lowest point/recessed areas. As such think about how you want the pigment to collect. If you want to give friction wear in fighter mode have it "stand" nose up in fighter mode and work you way from top to bottom.

here is another picture of a wash. The entire custom was primed and painted black. Minor detail was added, such as the blood/gore inside the cockpit. I then gave it a couple of washs of red, one in fighter mode and one in battroid mode. You can see the concept behind washing best on the wings and the chest plate. The pigment collects at the lowest point/recessed areas. As such think about how you want the pigment to collect. If you want to give friction wear in fighter mode have it "stand" nose up in fighter mode and work you way from top to bottom.

sweet, morbid fighter, i like how ya ussed the lighter wash in that one,,,,,,,cool

I swear that a few months ago someone had posted a nice step by step guide to customizing Bandais. I can't find it through the forum search and was wondering if someone kept a copy of it. Unfortunately, I don't remember who wrote it.

If you have it can you post it or e-mail it to me? Thanks.

Is this the thread you're looking for?

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...=ST&f=24&t=2818

If you're lloking for old threads, and know which forum they used to be in, go to that forum, (in this case, "How to Customize Macross Toys") and just under the listings, you should see adjustments for how far back you want it to list. If you just change the last 30 days to the begining, it'll now list every topic ever started in that forum, except of course deleted one.

I swear that a few months ago someone had posted a nice step by step guide to customizing Bandais.  I can't find it through the forum search and was wondering if someone kept a copy of it.  Unfortunately, I don't remember who wrote it. 

If you have it can you post it or e-mail it to me?  Thanks.

Is this the thread you're looking for?

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...=ST&f=24&t=2818

If you're lloking for old threads, and know which forum they used to be in, go to that forum, (in this case, "How to Customize Macross Toys") and just under the listings, you should see adjustments for how far back you want it to list. If you just change the last 30 days to the begining, it'll now list every topic ever started in that forum, except of course deleted one.

tom

Yup, that's what I was looking for. Thanks. I always have trouble using the search function even when I'm VERY specific because I know what's in the post.

Thanks everyone else for posting. The more I can read about customizing the more comfortable I feel about doing it. If there are more guides keep'em coming.