Transforming the VF-21

samuraid

Anyone have an English translation of the trnsformation instructions for the VF-21?

Getting mine into a gerwalk mode that isn't just a "mass of floppiness" with no hope of standing up under its own power is tricky to say the least.

I must be doing something wrong here...it doesn't seem that it should be this difficult to transform- the parts seeming like they're close to breaking with every dangerous twist and turn.

Any help would surely be appreciated :)

Anyone have an English translation of the trnsformation instructions for the VF-21?

Getting mine into a gerwalk mode that isn't just a "mass of floppiness" with no hope of standing up under its own power is tricky to say the least.

I must be doing something wrong here...it doesn't seem that it should be this difficult to transform- the parts seeming like they're close to breaking with every dangerous twist and turn.

Any help would surely be appreciated :)

The floppyness issues are just an inherent design flaw in the toy. As to difficulties with the transformation your going to have to be more specific for any of us to help you.

Gotta' have faith and patience with the '21. Are you playing with the Fast Pak version? Just try to take it one step at a time and get to know the Valkyrie well. If you give it a chance, it will work out in the end.....

That's just how it is. The yf-21 is my absolute least favorite Yamato for those reasons. I just leave it in fighter mode because it is too unstable in the other modes. I believe I use the term "pineapple standing with toothpicks" as an analogy in the past". Perhaps Yamato will revisit the yf-21 and do a better job in the future.

Thanx for the responses.

I was wondering if anyone could post a pic of the YF in gerwalk mode...

I can't even get the main body to "clip?" into place so that it doesn't fold in upon itself- like when it's in battroid mode...

Is there even anything on the underside to keep it in Gerwalk mode?

Without glue, I'm not sure how to have the toy look like the one on the box.

Without the arms clipped in place near the thrusters, mine won't have a main body that can hold together at all.

Hmm, I'm beginning to wonder if I don't have some weird version of this toy...

After looking at the pics in the toy section on this site, I noticed that the removable shoulder pieces were on the YF-21 in fighter mode.

I have to say that mine would never be able to keep these shoulder pieces in this configuration without breaking the wings; there is absolutely no space between the wings and arm slots.

Thanx for the responses.

I can't even get the main body to "clip?" into place so that it doesn't fold in upon itself- like when it's in battroid mode...

Without the arms clipped in place near the thrusters, mine won't have a main body that can hold together at all.

If you want to try to increase stability. Remove the legs from the hip, and put some clear nail polish on the balls. I have two coats on mine, and it stands pretty well. With the backpack, just.... get used to some floppyness.

PErsonally, my 21FP is staying in fighter without the packs. The sleeker body shape looks quite nice. I have my older non-FP behind it, in battriod mode.

Thanx for the responses.

If you want to try to increase stability. Remove the legs from the hip, and put some clear nail polish on the balls. I have two coats on mine, and it stands pretty well. With the backpack, just.... get used to some floppyness.

PErsonally, my 21FP is staying in fighter without the packs. The sleeker body shape looks quite nice. I have my older non-FP behind it, in battriod mode.

That's what I did and it worked for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Nope- the floppiness is mostly gone in the main body, although the legs are often still all over the place at times. (I'll eventually get up the nerve to try the nail polish)

I tried to keep the rest of the toy in Fighter mode while first getting the legs down- that way the canopy/nose section stayed locked to the main body- after the first few scary creaks, this worked well.

I think myk put it best: "Gotta' have faith and patience with the '21"

I found this to be very true, I really needed to put the instructions away completely, and play around with the toy to learn its 'ins and outs' for a while.

IMHO, I feel that the YF-21 is certainly worth getting, and is actually the favorite in my collection now.

post-4-1076192182.jpg

Edited by samuraid

Wow, I n ever had any trouble transforming it... even the first few times... just take your time and follow the pictures. Still my favorite valk after the Low-Viz.

I see there's lots of love for the 21 here. I'm somewhat less enthusiastic about mine. I'm glad there's a toy of the 21, but I wish Bandai would have made it, instead of Yamato.

<-----ducks to avoid tomatos from MW audience

Yamato had a great idea, just a not-so-great execution when it comes to transformation and general quality control. After all, mine was missing an essential part in the left leg. I'm still thinking maybe I should have got the VF-11 FP. :)

Hey, how do I remove the legs so I can apply a coat of nail polish?  And do I use a clear nail polish?

One screw holds each hip socket to the ball; remove the screw, and the two halves fall right apart.

Then apply the clear nail polish on the ball and the socket joints. Once it's dry, apply six more coats, and again let it dry. Once it's dry, put the legs back together and screw it in place.