Yamato SV-51 question

Cowboy17

I bought a cheap loose SV-51a off of ebay this week and just got it in. I knew it would need some work - what do you guys use to tighten the ball joints that the tail stabilizers are attached to on the arms? Future floor wax? Or does something else work better? 

They're not actually ball joints, just slightly wobbly pivots, if I recall.

It's been years, but I remember disassembling the entire forearms to get at those pivots, and never really got very far.  In the end, I think I wound up settling for a few drips of thin CA superglue on the pivots, rotating the tails while I let the glue dry.

This can definitely fog up the plastic somewhat though, typical for CA glue.  I'll see if I can find my original post on what I did, and link it here, but I'm not sure if I took any photos or anything.

Undiluted with a brush. Just drop a little in, move the joint around to get full coverage, and let it fully dry. I give it about 24 hours to be safe. If it is still loose after that just repeat the process. For any additional coats try not to brush or move the piece too much as it will start to break down the first coat and you will be back to square one. Just drop and let dry.

10 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

They're not actually ball joints, just slightly wobbly pivots, if I recall.

It's been years, but I remember disassembling the entire forearms to get at those pivots, and never really got very far.  In the end, I think I wound up settling for a few drips of thin CA superglue on the pivots, rotating the tails while I let the glue dry.

This can definitely fog up the plastic somewhat though, typical for CA glue.  I'll see if I can find my original post on what I did, and link it here, but I'm not sure if I took any photos or anything.

yeah. I just tried to disassemble the forearms and that was a huge mistake. i got everything apart, but concluded that i didnt want to go through that pain on BOTH arms to coat the peg (it's just a peg with a screw in it that spins freely in a hole). Took about 2 hours to get it back together because pieces kept falling out and the spring kept flying out.