Coming to theaters on June 3 is Approaching the Unknown, directed by Mark Elijah Rosenberg and starring Mark Strong (Merlin in Kingsman: The Secret Service, Sinestro in Green Lantern) as an astronaut on a lone mission to Mars that goes wrong halfway, pushing his mission and sanity on the edge.

It looks very... selfish? Cynical? Like, my immediate reaction is that it feels like a cheap cash grab riding on the coat tails of The Martian, but lacking its sense of camaraderie. It's trying to echo that film's sense of adventure and optimism, but the main character is putting a selfish personal desire above not only his own safety but the chances of a successful mission.

Instead of "Going to Mars is dangerous as hell, but here's why you should," it seems to be saying, "Going to Mars is dangerous as hell, so let me show you why you shouldn't."

But I'm definitely keeping an eye on it. I tend to like Mark Strong's performances. Can't for the life of me remember what else he was in, though...

But I'm definitely keeping an eye on it. I tend to like Mark Strong's performances. Can't for the life of me remember what else he was in, though...

He was in Kick-Ass, Stardust, John Carter, Robin Hood, Body of Lies, among others.

This movie looks interesting. But I have to agree on The Martian remark too.

• 3 weeks later...

Movie Nation Review: Approaching the Unknown

2 out of 4 stars

"I liked the practicality of the spaceship, and Strong’s performance. But 'Approaching the Unknown' feels incomplete. The drama comes from situations that are old hat — 'Approaching the Overfamiliar.' The third act is straight-up recycling which any classic sci-fi film fan will recognize. Rosenberg is nobody’s idea of a 'Star Child'." - Roger Moore, Movie Nation