Yukikaze

areaseven

Who would you rather date?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather date?

• Edith Foss (Sentou Yousei Yukikaze)
    • Aries Turner (Macross Zero)

Funny.. I just started watching this yesterday. And I also thought that the two main guys were getting it on.. anyway.

My review:

huh..? what happened? did ANYTHING happen? But damn, the planes look great!

• 1 month later...

As I've said before, I think Bandai should have made the official R1 English dub a comedy. They should have hired Carson Kressley and Ted Allen from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy to do the voices of Rei and the commanding officer and played them as being really camp. That would have been so funny IMO :p

Graham

I've been trying to find the Limited Edition DVD, but to no avail. Has anyone here picked it up? And is the squadron patch worth it?

i found the deluxe edition of #1 but there was no mention of a patch on the case. is this another one of those super limited pack in items?

personally I was kinda disappointed at this show the story sucks at least what ever was on the screen that might one day be a plot.

the main character is a prick that I wish would die from the first 20 seconds. This guys loses two RIO's and he doesn't give a crap.

the animation while a step above vandread the CG still doesn't go well with cell shaded. they need to lose the high gloss.

They should have hired Carson Kressley and Ted Allen from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy to do the voices of Rei and the commanding officer and played them as being really camp.

That certainly brings new meaning to the title "Battle Fairy," doesn't it? :lol:

I don't think the animation is anywhere near A material. Most of the time it looks like the digitally rendered plane is being moved across the 2d animated background by hand. It's nowhere near as blended as M0. I think if they had animated the planes without the cg, and added a bit more plot/story (in the sense it's not confusing as all frakk) it'd be A+ all around.

yukikazecover04.jpg13up.gif

Sentou Yousei Yukikaze - Operation:04 ( 戦闘妖精雪風 )

GONZO Digimation/Victor Entertainment/Bandai Visual, 2004

Bandai Entertainment (Projected Release Date: late-2004)

Directed by Masahiko Okura.

Rated 13-Up for violence and mature situations.

Fitted with a new set of engines, Yukikaze - with Rei and Jack at the controls - travels through the dimensional portal to Earth, Where it receives a not-so-friendly welcome from the Japanese navy. Then, without warning, a group of JAM fighters make their appearance and attack the naval fleet.

Story: B-

After the snooze-fest that was episode 3, the storyline finally shakes up a bit. We get to know a little more about novelist Lynn Jackson and we get something we've been waiting for a long time: high-speed dog fights. But the story is still as incohesive as ever. Let's hope that Operation: 05 ends the series in a good note.

Animation: A++

Evolution is the key factor to the animation quality, and Yukikaze's quality level has evolved a lot compared to the first episode. The dog fights have become more intensive and the effects have greatly improved. And Yukikaze's launch from the aircraft carrier is unbelievable.

Soundtrack: B+

Well, I'm finally adjusting to Yukikaze's background music. Aside from that, nothing much has changed.

The Bottom Line

The series is almost finished, but there are still a lot of questions yet to be answered. Nevertheless, Yukikaze has become more of an eye candy addiction than ever.

Links

Bandai Entertainment's Official Yukikaze Homepage

Official Sentou Yousei Yukikaze Homepage (Japanese)

Victor Entertainment's Official Sentou Yousei Yukikaze Homepage (Japanese)

Reference

CDJapan

Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

Are you sure you saw ep 4 because the official site said ep 4 wont be releaed until april 23. I saw the preview on their official site and it seems like ep 4 takes place on earth. Rei even talks to Lynn Jackson and we also get to see the Jam attack a carrier battle group. Pat are you absolutely sure you saw this?

Operation:4 was broadcast in advance in Japan on the AT-X channel.

Here's my take on the soundtrack.

ost.jpg

Sentou Yousei Yukikaze: Original Soundtrack( 戦闘妖精雪風 )

Victor Entertainment, 2003

U.S. Distributor Pending

Composed by Satoshi Mishiba and Dougen Shiono

Produced by Shiro Sasaki

Track Listing

1. Lynn Jackson

2. Rei's Theme - Prologue

3. Rei's Theme

4. Forest of Antenna

5. Suspicion

6. Light Trap

7. Rei's Theme - Congestion

8. Into the Deep

9. Adrenalin

10. Web

11. Monologue and Stimulation

12. Fairy

13. Ready to Fight

14. Rei's Theme - Piano Ballad

15. Tail Spin

Lowdown

Sentou Yousei Yukikaze - since its video debut in 2002, it has caught the attention of anime fans and aviation enthusiasts with its excellent animation and some of the best dogfights since 1994's Macross Plus. And with any anime title, a soundtrack comes with it. But how good is the soundtrack?

Instead of using orchestral music like Macross Plus, Yukikaze uses techno and synthesizer music by Satoshi Mishiba and Dougen Shiono. The CD's first track "Lynn Jackson" perfectly blends heavy drums with a calm piano tune. Many of the other tracks such as "Ready to Fight" go well with the action that occurs in the series, even though majority of the dogfights don't use BGMs.

Of course, the soundtrack's not perfect. Some of the tracks like "Into the Deep" are rather depressing, while a couple of the "Rei Theme" variations are flat. "Fairy," on the other hand, has a very eerie feel to it (which is actually pretty cool). The track starts with a mellow piano piece and transitions into the dark synthesizer/guitar tune played on the episode previews. It would also help if the CD included the ending theme "RTB" by Monsieur Kamayatsu (which is currently available as a single).

The Yukikaze soundtrack is good, but it just doesn't rank up there with the works of Yoko Kanno (Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop). Mostly for diehard Yukikaze fans only.

Rating: B+

Currently Available At

CDJapan

Reference

Anime News Network

For those wondering if the limited edition DVD is worth buying over the standard edition, it really depends on what you really want out of it other than the Boomerang 50 patch.

Yukikaze DVD 1

Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1, Japanese Dolby Digital 5.1, English 2.0 Stereo, Japanese 2.0 Stereo

Extras: Making of Yukikaze segment, mission briefing, technical data files, glossary, trailers

Yukikaze DVD 2

Audio: English DTS Surround, Japanese DTS Surround, English 2.0 Stereo

Extras: NONE

In short, if you don't have a DTS-capable stereo system, it's not worth getting the Limited Edition.

Edited by areaseven

For those wondering if the limited edition DVD is worth buying over the standard edition, it really depends on what you really want out of it other than the Boomerang 50 patch.

Yukikaze DVD 2

Audio: English DTS Surround, English 2.0 Stereo, Japanese 2.0 Stereo

Extras: NONE

Just a correction, the Japanese track on DVD 2 is also DTS, not 2.0.

Edited by Panon

hey, where can I find a subbed episode 3? or at least what sites can I download it from. K-lite seems to dropped alot of anime recently. Any response is appreciated.

Try emule. Normally they have lots of "hard to find" files (I guess they have 5 or 6 versions of Yukikaze Ep.3, different subtitles, bitrates and resolutions). Be warned however that emule is VEEERY slow (5 TIMES slower than k-lite).