How to bend PVC back into shape?

sidearmsalpha

Hi,

not sure if this is the right forum for this, but maybe, I can get some suggestions here.

I'm sure many of you have this problem. Since a lot of Japanese figures are made out of PVC these days, I have quite a few that have bent parts because they were packaged in ways where the parts were fixed in a position that bent them out of place, or I stored the loose figures where they were piled on by other things like other figures, so some of the parts may have now been bent in positions other than the original.

Anyway, trying to bend the parts back doesn't seem to work. Even if I hold the parts for awhile or try to put something on them to hold them in the original position, the parts slowly end up bending back to the bent position. I have heard that if you stick PVC in boiling water, it can be bent more easily.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

you can put the figure in warm/hot (not boiling) water for a couple of minute..then once they are a little bit soft you can reposition them and then you can put something that will hold them in place ..a stick or something.. hope this will help..

fyi: this condition is sometimes called gashapon syndrom

Edited by dyowelb

Thin sections of resin can also be re-shaped with hot (near boiling) water. I've gotten many resin kit with bent wings, landing gears, etc, and I've been able to fix them all with this trick.

Just heat up a cup of water in a microwave, grab the part with a pair of tweezers or something, and hold it in the water for a few seconds. The part will be flexible for as long as it's hot, but it'll still retain it's general shape (it won't turn into goo on you).

You can also use a lighter instead of hot water in a pinch. Just be sure to hold the part well above the flame, or you'll run the risk of singeing or even burning the part.