Display Case

Skull005

I snatched mine from a shop that redecorated his display cases. They where free and custom made for the shop so I was lucky. On the other hand they are pretty small and only hold 3-4 Valkyries (and no YF-29 with Super Parts). ^_^

I think IKEA is the place to go. I made the experience that display cabinets can be way expensive especially when you buy from shops that are specialized for serving business customers (and/or are pleasing for the eye). There is a reason why almost every collector had one or more IKEA Detolfs at some point. :)

My main concern with the IKEA display cases are the 1/4" gap all around the front door. For those who have the IKEA case, is dust getting inside a problem or am I just overthinking it? I was thinking of buying rubber edge trimmer to seal the gap but then the display case would look like butt I think.

The detolfs are cheaper imo. There could be cheaper ones. But for it to be airtight, preventing dust, I dont think that the price will be less.

As for the detolfs, dust does get in. But it's minimal. I didn't go cleaning my display for a year or so and it just required minimal wiping. Not a huge thick layer of dust.

The amount of dust in one's home is dependent on a variety of factors, including how many people live there and how much the rooms are occupied. Bear in mind that the vast majority of dust is simply dead skin cells that fall off and accumulate on your furniture and floors. Ergo, it stands to reason that you get a lot of dust in rooms where people spend the most time. In our home, I've noticed that the rooms with the highest occupancy (bedrooms and family room) accumulate the most dust quickly. Also, electronic appliances attract dust.

I keep my Detolfs in my office which is located in the basement, windowless, and is usually only ever occupied by me. There's a little dust that gets in but not much. I think you'll have a hard time finding a glass display case with as much bang for the buck as a Detolf. You might get lucky from a store going out of business and unloading its cases at a bargain. My experience has been that most mass produced glass display cases you find at furniture stores

1) are a lot more expensive -- several hundred dollars at least

2) look more like things you would store fine china or silverware in -- think of your mom's china cabinet

Dust in everyone's home is different. Dust comes mainly from dead skin and hair cells, but also lint, papers (especailly newspapers and magaines etc) etc.. keep your skin moisturized! lol. Also it will depend on your HVAC systems as well. Some forced air units have have great filters in them etc. Some people even use a separate HEPA air purfification system. Some people contorl humidity better than others. FWIW more humid conditions make dust heavier and it will settle. more dry coniditons keep the dust suspended in the air so while you may have dust, it will not settle on your figures and displays. Also if you live in or near a city, you will have a higher amount of dust just by opening a window etc. I lived last year in the worst possible conditions for dust (ok maybe not but def. not ideal)...humid (so it settles), no forced air so no filtered air, no separate air filter, tons of papers etc. Also i have dry skin. lol. The bottom shelves of detolfs and the figures sitting there definitely accumulated a layer of dust after about 1.5 months or so and needed to be dusted. however...dusting figures after a month or so is easy...any of those feather, microfiber or even swiffer duster takes seconds per figure. the shelf even less. The trick is to not let dust on a figure too long and get caked up (having dust settle and then having big changes in humidity and tmperature will cake dust on) where you have to wipe away vs. easily dusting it off. This year after my move 2 months ago, its still not an ideal environment but i checked last night...still no need to dust. that being said it'd b really nice to not hav eto dust at all. lol. eventually i'll get nicer cabinets but for the money $60....they are impossible to beat. then there is teh othe rargument...why put thousands of dollars or toys ina $60 cabinet. to each ihis own. someone linked these a while ago...not outrageous pricing at all. http://www.specialtystoreservices.com/productdetails.aspx?productid=34319 i'll look into that someday....maybe when i stop buying $300 valks all the time.

Spending less on the display case means spending more in what goes in them!

true, but their lack of width is...annoying. They actually hold very little for the space they take up. one cabinet twice as wide as a detolf will absolutely hold well more than twice the amount of stuff a detolf can without looking nearly as cluttered. I know some do the double detolf mod to fix that...but i'm not a fan.due to the double metal beams in the middle that result. i right now have only 3 detolfs that can display about 1/3 to 1/2 m collection of toys. Debating on getting a 4th or just redoing everything with wider cabinets. heck its only the price of 1.33 valks. lol