FFXI Christmas Spectacular!

Vostok 7

Oh yeah, I'm dropping Great Sword. I decided that since I'm going with Paladin, Great Sword wasn't that necessary of a skill. Plus, regular swords are alot cheaper ^_^ and I miss hitting more often.

I went from 48 to 68 regular sword on Saturday with one good party. I made sure to tell them what I was doing and said if they wanted me to use the great sword I would, but we didn't have any problems.

I was going to buy a Braveheart (finally) with the 10k someone nicely gifted to me, but getting to lvl 25 means new armor, so basically everything I have is getting sold to buy new armor because chainmail is 33500 and someone else is using theirs apparently. :angry::p

So right now, until I can get the keys and get everyone togeather to go kill the Dragon, I'm stuck gil farming to make some measly cash.

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

Then I went to help a couple of friend kill the emissary dragon. Easy fight, except for me and the whm Vostok pted with on saturday, the pt was between lv22 and 18. Easy fight, no one got cursed.

You could get her to help us ;):p

Vostok 7

I'm not getting her to help you because she is barely ever on. <_<

And besides... you got a linkshell now... use it!!

Edited by Abombz!!

I'm hardly ever on <_<

And yeah, there's like no one in my LS lol. I can get a DRK probably, and the owner is a PLD. But I haven't seen any WHMs yet.

Vostok 7

I'm hardly ever on <_<

And yeah, there's like no one in my LS lol. I can get a DRK probably, and the owner is a PLD. But I haven't seen any WHMs yet.

Vostok 7

Then you better find a second rdm for this. And specially one that isn't an elvaan.

Yosho already has crap MP because he is an elvaan, even with apple pies and orange juice, he still going to have substandard MP..... and him as the only healer won't work.

Either you have 2 rdms subbing whm with decent MP..... or you have 1 taru whm subbing blm.

I might be able to get a Mithra RDM, but he's never ever on. I ran into him in Qufim last night and that's the first time I've seen him in a month...

I think my LS has a RDM/WHM but pretty low lvl. I'll keep my eye out and maybe even ask around.

Why is it finding WHMs is always a problem? geez.

Oh yeah on saturday in the party with Matelle, there was this other party camping near us and they kept giving us trouble. There was this one jerk that would "cheer on" whatever we were fighting and then get mad when we won... Then when a couple of our members got killed he was kicking them and stuff :rolleyes: Oh yeah, and when they linked 2 pugs and I voked one of them off and our party killed it and saved their party, only one person came over and thanked us after two more pulls :rolleyes: Gee, we didn't HAVE to save your party's ass. I was half considering just letting them kill them all. I let it soften them up a bit before pulling it because pretty much everyone in the area agreed they were jerks.

Vostok 7

Ah, Dynamis all I know is it might be the PvP area. The playonline site did announce they would do it eventually. Hey just being able to help out in killing things is cool enough. And they're putting another way of sorting in which is good, but I wish they would put in a sort feature for the AH already.

And Vos about that PT, did that happen to be DT cheering the monster on? <_< It sounds like something he would do. Not the kicking part... but he did poke the corpse of one of his party members. :lol:

Interesting... lvl increasing mobs... relic equipment?... status increasing furniture (took them long enough to make those expensive pieces of crap actually worth something)...

Interesting stuff.

Vostok 7

Furniture still isn't worth anything...... except for brass beds.

As for PvP area.... I thought they were going to call it limbo. :blink:

And I still don't see how PvP would work in this game.... if they make a separate area, palis will rule everything simply because they can cast protect on themselves and heal, while everyone else has to pray on being able to get criticals often. If they use 2h.... palis can counterattack with invinsible.

Mages would never venture into those areas. Something is really wrong with PvP in FFXI.

I'm betting it's not PvP... The job classes really aren't sorted out right to make good PvP like Abombz said.

Also, if you read the announcement it says "enemies"... I'm betting it's some sort of really tough subworld with some really cool nasty things to kill.

Vostok 7

I'm betting it's not PvP... The job classes really aren't sorted out right to make good PvP like Abombz said.

Also, if you read the announcement it says "enemies"... I'm betting it's some sort of really tough subworld with some really cool nasty things to kill.

Vostok 7

Sounds like they are getting ready to increase the lv cap again.... I hope they go all the way up to 150 this time. :)

I'm really looking foward to Genkai 1..... yeah right!! <_<

lol figures they'd increase the lvl cap when I have no chance of ever even getting to lvl 75 anyway lol.

The problem with making this place a new lvling zone is it's not permanent... So maybe they're working on new areas? How could they do that really though? It's not like they could add another continent lol.

Vostok 7

It would be interested to see how PvP is handled in FFXI. I don't think there would be a problem with the actual classes but more so the about setup of the game system. Fighting isn't instant like other games so that is going to make for some strange and frustrating PvP. The time it takes to get into battle mode for any class would allow your enemie to get in several hits, not to mention taking the time to target someone, even with shortcuts. Also why is there PvP between the players anyway, it goes against the story doesn't it? I mean aren't the nations suppose to be allied with each other against a common enemy? Will you be able to join the nations controled by the enemy? Or are these simply battle arenas with no real goal?

It would be interested to see how PvP is handled in FFXI. I don't think there would be a problem with the actual classes but more so the about setup of the game system. Fighting isn't instant like other games so that is going to make for some strange and frustrating PvP. The time it takes to get into battle mode for any class would allow your enemie to get in several hits, not to mention taking the time to target someone, even with shortcuts. Also why is there PvP between the players anyway, it goes against the story doesn't it? I mean aren't the nations suppose to be allied with each other against a common enemy? Will you be able to join the nations controled by the enemy? Or are these simply battle arenas with no real goal?

That's why it's an "alternate universe"... So if they did do PvP it would make sense because it's some sort of evil subworld.

But I don't see PvP happening. Alot of people have been looking forward to it happening, but I for one wouldn't participate because I don't think it's a good idea. PvP is one of the things I absolutely hated about SWG, and from what I heard, it was better in that game than most PvP able games.

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

Actually.... no. They would probably set it so whenever you chose to engage another player theres a pause so both can start battle mode. But then again.... thfs would be useless in PvP that way.

So I say.... keep FFXI PvP free!! <_<

And besides.... PvP in a game that requires no skill what so ever is retarded. <_<

They will most likely have to revamp the battle engine... which means we might have an expansion coming.

Edited by Abombz!!

Honestly.... these Dynamis areas sound like big private areas where you can bring friends in and fight things like a massive alliance while still getting xp individually, and having lot for the entire area.

Sounds awsome if you ask me... specially since its a big free for all as mobs aren't taken anymore.

Thats just me dreaming though.... feel free to disregard. :)

Honestly.... these Dynamis areas sound like big private areas where you can bring friends in and fight things like a massive alliance while still getting xp individually, and having lot for the entire area.

Sounds awsome if you ask me... specially since its a big free for all as mobs aren't taken anymore.

Thats what it sounded like to me reading through it, and I really hope that's what it is because that sounds immensely cooler than PvP. Kinda like when the twinkling treant was around...

If that's what it is then, I'm in... Otherwise, I'll forget it even exists.

Vostok 7

Thats what it sounded like to me reading through it, and I really hope that's what it is because that sounds immensely cooler than PvP. Kinda like when the twinkling treant was around...

If that's what it is then, I'm in... Otherwise, I'll forget it even exists.

Vostok 7

See.... the previously upcoming MMORPG called Mythica had that sort of private area.... but MS pulled the plug on it. Too bad it was the only MMO based on Nord Mythology too. :(

See.... the previously upcoming MMORPG called Mythica had that sort of private area.... but MS pulled the plug on it. Too bad it was the only MMO based on Nord Mythology too. :(

Maybe they lifted the idea since MS shelved it?

My question is if it is one of these really tough private kill zones without PvP, how will dying be handled? I'd assume you'd still loose some when you get killed... If not, then it would be an excellent place to get togeather and get mad XP.

If it is PvP, how are they going to handle drops and XP? That's one reason I'd never PvP because I wouldn't want to loose my stuff. And what about /anon players? I could go on and on.

Vostok 7

they could add another continent if they needed too... might involve shutting down a zone or two first, but we can live with that.

I'm betting it'll be an arena of some sort

For a continent they would need to release an expansion.... unless they already have the code in the game.

For example... they are adding a new avatar because the code is already in the game. Apparently, when you type the command line for summoning Fenrir, it says you don't currently have the avatar, while typing a random cmd line for a random avatar (like Bahamut) will give you "command line doesn't exist".

Theres plenty of things that could be added. But what I miss most.... is previous FF cameos and weapons. I would love to see a GS called "Buster Sword", or a sword called "Gun Blade", or a double bladed staff like Zidane had.

I made my decision..... I'm playing FFXI till the end of April, and then moving on to Lineage 2.

FFXI really became boring to me this past few days. I used to log on whenever I could, now I can't stand the thought of logging on outside pting hours.... and even then I can't play for more then a few minutes before thinking about logging again.

I'm a lv27 sam now.... and just thinking about reaching lv40 and then restarting as a dragoon, makes my stomach twist. Its not so much the game.... but the community itself.... I'm getting burned, and I'm getting burned fast, and I usually take that as a sign of moving on time.

My LS is moving on to Lineage too.... so I figured I might jump on their band wagon and play a game with ppl I know, usually makes things more fun. And besides.... it would be a group of ppl on the same lv, so that might be even more fun.

Lineage 2 seems to be a cool game with emphasis on soloing..... so that might be fun... if not... oh well.

And besides... I'm a sucker for dark elves. :lol:

P.S. this ain't one of my many "I'm going to quit!!!.... or maybe I won't" thing. This time I'm really going to quit at the end of April.

Edited by Abombz!!

I have officially given up on being a sam. Its war all over again and I rather not have to go through that crap again.

And besides.... sams aren't fun. They are like wars who can hit better then wars, but not take dmg well. And besides.... I'm always stuck with tank dutty, if I wanted to be a tank I would've been a pali.

If I'm going to stick around only for a moth or 2.... I might as well get something out of this game, something I haven't been getting.... and that something is called FUN!! <_<

I have officially given up on being a sam. Its war all over again and I rather not have to go through that crap again.

And besides.... sams aren't fun. They are like wars who can hit better then wars, but not take dmg well. And besides.... I'm always stuck with tank dutty, if I wanted to be a tank I would've been a pali.

If I'm going to stick around only for a moth or 2.... I might as well get something out of this game, something I haven't been getting.... and that something is called FUN!! <_<

Then help us out! I'd like to get pali before thinking about quitting.

Feh, great, another game for you to get all into. Yeah, it's fun to play with your friends... I wish I knew what that was like. :rolleyes::p

I have another friend who's all about Lineage 2 as well :p

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

Damn Lineage II has gotten a lot better. Was just checking out the site. A lot better then it was a few months ago. Still Ultima X is still looking like the game for me. Though it sucks that I have no real life friends that play these type of games. My friend from high school, who turned me onto Everquest back in the day, I've lost touch with. Online friends are great as well but still would be nice to know people outside of that.

Damn Lineage II has gotten a lot better. Was just checking out the site. A lot better then it was a few months ago. Still Ultima X is still looking like the game for me. Though it sucks that I have no real life friends that play these type of games. My friend from high school, who turned me onto Everquest back in the day, I've lost touch with. Online friends are great as well but still would be nice to know people outside of that.

The Ultima name has been defiled for me. Ultima Online sucked big donkey nuts, and Ultima 9.... well.... I don't really need to say anything about that, do I? <_<

I was looking at EQII screens yesterday.... and I can say that game looks like crap. Just from the screens you can see that its going to have extremely choppy animation (from limb display).

BTW Yosho.... why the heck were you telling your brother that getting the Ninja flag is hard? Its extremely easy, more so then getting the Pali flag. All he needs is help to kill the 3 slugs.

PS the only reason why I'm considering Lineage 2 is because the game can be played entirely solo or pting.

Any idea how Lineage II is going to be handled as far as international communities? I know they're promoting the game internationally, moreso than FFXI, and the game is originally a Korean game which had open betas in both the US and currently Japan as well.

I snuck my way into the Korean beta last year and the Korean community was unfriendly to say the least. I'm sure you all experienced the whole "I only play with Japanese, sorry" messages in FFXI, but in L2 it was more like, "You American, I will kill you", which was not very cool, imo. The game itself allows PK which is loosely governed by a Karma system (bad Karma is gained by killing people, but can be worked off by killing monsters). So if you speak in English, your level 5 delf mage was suddenly smacked down by some uber-Korean level 60 player. Japanese won't play with Americans because they lack skill. Koreans will kill you because they hate you. :(

The game was fun, albeit a bit more tedious to level than FFXI. At the time I played however, the two classes were very unbalanced. You can either be Mage or Fighter and fighters were better than mages in almost every single way. Fighters run faster than mages, so if they need to escape, they can do so easily. Running away for a mage was by comparison somewhat of an adventure. My warrior friends could rip through spiders like they were nothing, but my mage would always get its spells interrupted and running away was pointless as the spider was faster than I was. Fighters also have less downtime as my friend could probably level himself once every four hours, while I'd fall asleep trying to recover my mana.

However, those great Asian aesthetics are there as the character models are total eye-candy. :) The women especially... wow. Dark Elf females were especially cool, as the better your armor got, the more nekkid they'd look!

Shot00070.JPG

Fantastic stuff! There's also a greater sense of teamwork in the game as opposed to FFXI. In FFXI you'd have a linkshell, but there's nothing that really holds its members together. It's more like a glorified chatgroup than any actualy semblance of a team. In Lineage your clan's ability to work together and gain points for itself determines territory you own and your power.

Lineage is a good game, but after all the trouble I went through during the beta, I don't know if I can stomach it again. To be fair though, I also had a lousy time during the World of Warcraft Alpha, but seeing how so many people are starting to quit FFXI, I may move on to simpler pastures as well. World of Warcraft on paper sounds like the best of all of the mmorpgs, but the engine is incredibly dated, and the game isn't even out yet. Oh well, I'll reserve judgement until I see a retail version. Until then, I'll keep trudging along in FFXI.

Edited by imode