Macross Zero 10th Anniversary

Crossboy

That didn't happen on October 16th.

Not that particular episode, but Macross 7 started on October 16th... ;)

The context was when Kawamori introduced "magic" into the Macross universe.

Edited by Zinjo

This sort of goes against the humorous/poking fun spirit of the thread, but I didn't want to dredge up years-old threads to discuss new things that it brought to mind :D

Oddly enough, this winter break gave me and the wife some time to watch Frontier again, and it really brought a lot of clarity when she was asking me to explain some of the things in it. Just before we get to "Legend of Zero," we watched Macross Zero so she'd know what the in-series movie episode is about (literally finished watching it about half an hour ago), and it was a real eye-opener. Keep in mind, this is the first time I've watched it in years, but I was previously of the mind that it was just a kooky nature/magic themed Macross OVA that wasn't really a high point for the franchise. Frontier, sort of like Metal Gear Solid 4, has managed to wrap the prequel up much more nicely for me, and got the gears spinning in my thinking cap.

I'm sure it has been discussed to death already, but I got to thinking about the AFOS being basically a synthetic Vajra queen, and how it might have also been engineered with its own sort of V-type bacteria/virus/nanotech/magic cooties which would have crept into the Mayan civilization's DNA (and perhaps even their ecosystem) like how Ranka was infected in Frontier. Sara's interface with the AFOS looked creepily similar to how Grace plugged into the Vajra queen, as well. Brera finding the artifact on the Vajra homeworld also seems a bit more meaningful, but less as a hint of things to come and more of a "yep, we were here studying these things."

I still can't find what AFOS stands for, however.

That's an interesting concept about the virus thing. I hadn't thought of it that way. However, I've asked about that thing next to Brera at the end of the Frontier series and nobody here had any explanation as to what it really is. The fact that they put it in a quick scene at the end doesn't really tell you that it's something all that important. I could be wrong, though...

There was also the glowing forest insect, didn't that respond to Sara's song?

Thinking down this line, the odd thing is that Sheryl is a direct descendant of those who might have had exposure to something akin to the V-type bacteria. Yet she is the one dying from the infection.

If the Protoculture group that studied the Vajra Queen at their home world was the same group that built the APHOS & seeded humanity on Earth, that gives the end of Frontier an interesting twist. In a way, the M25 fleet really was returning home.

True, but it's a safe assumption that Sheryl is only 25% Mayan, since Mao obviously left the village to join the 117th research fleet. A hereditary immunity would definitely be reduced in that case, unless for two generations they married only within their own culture.

V-type bacteria don't seem to multiply within humans or migrate between host bodies (Alto & Sheryl, cough cough), either, so it would seem reasonable that immunity is not hereditary and occurs as a result of exposure.

In-series, the only known method to contract the bacteria and develop immunity/symbiosis unassisted is to be exposed during gestation (like with Ranka), a point during physical development where the immune system is not yet active. Mayan villagers were pretty isolationist, and would probably all meet this criteria, but later generations could easily not be exposed since the AFOS is gone and/or the people left the island (which was also napalmed). Perhaps the bacteria isn't so much the problem as the human body's response to it, if existing immune systems try to attack? Ai-kun was pretty friendly since nobody tried to hurt him, but being hit by Alto's paper airplane provoked him. Same behavior on a multi-cellular scale :)