Arii Macross model kit bonus figure question

GU-11

Now that I'm finally ready to paint something, I dug out a couple of unpainted plastic figures that came with the old Arii Macross model kits. These are random-packed, and the ones I got were Roy and Quamzin.

Thing is, it's been over ten years since I last left them in storage, and the plastic's become sticky--something to do with plasticizers separating, or something like that. Are these still worth painting up?

A coat of primer should solve the stickiness problem, but I have no idea if the figures will just disintegrate sooner or later.

So, are they worth the trouble or should I just toss them in the trash bin?

Then go to Autozone! I use duplicolor primer. Works great for me. Besides, there's not a lot of detail that can plug on those figures.

(null)

Unfortunately, I don't think there's an Autozone outlet in Malaysia. My best shot would be hardware stores, but for some reason, they just don't like to stock primer.

BTW, I heard that FFP (Future Floor Polish aka Pledge) makes a decent primer. Is this true?

I have a PVC Guyver female figure that's been sticky for years, painted in Tamiya Purple. It took almost ten years for the dust to stop sticking to it. After that, I started using a wax and grease remover on the old plastic and PVC kits, and it seems to work. It was called DX330 by PPG. Don't know if Malaysia will have it though...

PS: If anyone has the Milia figure from that set, I'd make it worth their while to sell it to me via Paypal. I'm in the USA.

I have Max, Roy, Misa, Millia and Quamzin. Lacking a Hikaru. Most probably will try painting them. Not good with human figures though:)

I'm an utter newbie when it comes to painting anything, but at least these bonus figures are dispensable in a way. I mean, if I don't paint them, they're just going to sit there for another ten years collecting dust.

I have Max, Roy, Misa, Millia and Quamzin. Lacking a Hikaru. Most probably will try painting them. Not good with human figures though:)

And dont forget the 2 different Minmay ones too. ;) I have one, but it is still sealed in the packages.

I have had good luck with sticky figures by painting them first with a product here in the states called Krylon Fusion. I generally prefer krylon to any primer because of it's huge temperature tolerance (many companies claim similar tolerances but I find most of them don't have the same predictable results).

Anyway the Fusion stuff claims that it bonds on the molecular level. Now I don't know about any of that but I have used it on these same figures and the sticky stopped.

I don't know what is available where your at that's comparable.

I've heard of Krylon being sold locally, but it's not nearly as popular as other cheaper brands like Pylox or Anchor. To make matters worse, most hardware shops here just don't like to stock primer.

I'll try my luck at a few stores and see if I can find a can or two of Krylon primer.

If you can't find primer, just go with a flat color paint like gray or white. The formulations can be identical sometimes. Try cleaning it with soap and water first to remove any residue that has bled out. That's the problem with cheap vinyls and polymers, they just break down. - MT