WW2 Aircraft Question.

I want to get Crimson Skies... Other than that, I don't know of any "non-serious" sims.

Vostok 7

hey V7, i must mention this, u must get CS, it's a blast to play on the Xbox version as well as the PC version,

I really like BF. Be aware that the flight controls are quite simple, though, but that may not be such a bad thing. You may want to get the game of the year edition or whatever, to get the Road to Rome expansion, which will allow you to get the experience WWII mod, which improves the realism of the standard stuff and adds a lot of new weapons and vehicles.

Just to be sure, I flipped my reference book (Hitler's Luftwaffe, Salamander Books, ISBN 0-86101-005-1) and found some discrepancies.

hs-129b-3.jpg

Hs-129B-3/Wa "Waffentraeger"

"Waffentraeger", if my lousy pick-up-from-web German is correct, means "Armed Tractor"? Very odd name for an attack aircraft..

me-210ca-1_zerstorer.jpg

Me-210CA-1 Zerstorer

This is almost certainly a ME 410 Hornisse, not a ME 210; this can be seen by the weapon (which is 50mm BK 5 on ME 410) and the engine exhaust.

Also, although the ME 210 has a C variant, no mention of a CA variant could be found.

ju-87g.jpg

Ju-87G-1 Stuka

The funny thing about the Stuka is that, despite claims of a G-2 or even G-3 subtype, I've never seen documented proof of any subtypes other than the G-1. And the data on the G-1 is sometimes inconsistent -- some G-1 has spats on the gears, some don't. Tamiya's 1/72 G-1 kit doesn't come with spats though.

It was interceptor aircraft that only got to the prototype stages. In all, only 3 were built total. Armament consisted of four Type 5 30 millimeter cannons with 265 pounds of bombs. Maximum speed was estimated to be 466 miles per hour. It flew for only 45 minutes, and a few problems were found, but it was still flyable.

Its a magnificent looking aircraft! I had never heard of it before! Man its sweet ^_^

Whats the largest cannon ever carried by a propeller driven aircraft? Im curious.

-BEN-MAN-

The Shinden is one of my favourite WWII designs, even if it only reached the prototype stage. A beautiful aircraft ( did you know there were plans to fit it with a turbojet engine? ). The Shinden famously guest stars in one story of the Ah! My Goddess manga.

The USAAF trialled a similar configuration, the Ascender, as did the RAF with a few prototypes made by Miles aircraft.

AFAIK, the largest cannon carried by a WWII aircraft was a 102mm weapon installed on an Italian bomber. Probably the largest cannon ever carried by a propeller-driven aircraft is the 105mm weapon carried by some variants of the Hercules gunship - the "Spectre".

anyone know anything about the IL2 update that supposedly will allow for p-51 mustangs and p-38 lightnings?

i'd love to mix it up in a p-38

Yeah, there was a expansion released awhile back called "Forgotten Battles." I forget what planes are in it, but I know a few american planes were added.

Vostok 7