The curious case of the VF-0A

VF5SS

So I was chatting about VF-0As when I noticed this weird discrepancy.

vf-0a-battroid.gif

Here's a VF-0A.

vf-0a-head.gif

Here's the head. Notice the head is completely different.

So this lead me to MW's own magazine archive where I found this

april-hj-page6.jpg

Note the small insert artwork of the VF-0A which is different from the main art.

Then I went to the DVD inserts which shows this

page03.jpg

Which is clearly a big version of that small insert of early VF-0A art.

So uh, what happened to the final VF-0A head lineart? Does it exist?

madness

ok, maybe "completely" is a bit of an exaggeration, but "superficial" is a big understatement. Single laser and monoeye aside, the contours (how the "face" wraps around the "eye"), the back of the head (especially the lower back), the vents, all look quite similar in both designs.

Of course it's not the same head, but it's definitely a closer relative than let's say that of the VE-1 and the VF-27.

So I was chatting about VF-0As when I noticed this weird discrepancy.

Nice find. One of those obvious things that has been staring you in the face all along. >.<

So uh, what happened to the final VF-0A head lineart? Does it exist?

Macross Chronicle uses the official/final head lineart - BUT it's only the previously seen battroid picture cropped to show just the head.

Perhaps no lineart exists as it might have been something came up at the spur of the moment during CG modelling?

Well let's take into the fact that the VF-0 in the design works looks very concept sketch like, which I think Kawamori's famous for making changes for production standards. I'm sure he had a lot of great mechanical ideas seeing how this was going to be a CG series but a lot in the end gets standardized instead so you got to cut some things out. More moving parts on a CG animation involves more time and more money.

The VF-0 to me was an awesome design, a great merge between aerodynamics and robotics that seemed to get shafted in the end when you look at something say the VF-25 which craves anime magic to me.

The VF-0 to me was an awesome design, a great merge between aerodynamics and robotics that seemed to get shafted in the end when you look at something say the VF-25 which craves anime magic to me.

just paint the VF-25 gray and it's super legit

yf-29 too

post-1819-0-43563200-1315003266_thumb.jpg