PLUM brand 1/35 AS-5E3 "LEYNOS" (PLAYER TYPE)

^_^ hey people!! ^_^

i just put bought a copy of this model that just came out this April;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200622749002&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_Suits_series

LEYNOSAS-5E31-351.jpg

LEYNOSAS-5E31-355.jpg

LEYNOSAS-5E31-357.jpg

LEYNOSAS-5E31-356.jpg

LEYNOSAS-5E31-354.jpg

Plum-135-AS-5E3-Leynos-Model-Kit-Snapfit-Review-By-Hobby-Stock-01.jpg

Plum-135-AS-5E3-Leynos-Model-Kit-Snapfit-Review-By-Hobby-Stock-02.jpg

Plum-135-AS-5E3-Leynos-Model-Kit-Snapfit-Review-By-Hobby-Stock-03.jpg

Plum-135-AS-5E3-Leynos-Model-Kit-Snapfit-Review-By-Hobby-Stock-05.jpg

Plum-135-AS-5E3-Leynos-Model-Kit-Snapfit-Review-By-Hobby-Stock-04.jpg

Plum-135-AS-5E3-Leynos-Model-Kit-Snapfit-Review-By-Hobby-Stock-11.jpg

this is a personal dream come true.

back in 1990/1991, perhaps a year at most after my parents bought me my very first VG console, the SEGA GENESIS/MEGA DRIVE,

during it's X-MAS 1989 U.S. debut, i was bought this absolutely fantastic Mecha game called "TARGET EARTH"

which i came to find out, a bit over a decade later, was an Anime-style Mecha game called "ASSAULT SUIT LEYNOS" in Japan,

but, that fact aside, T.E./LEYNOS was, in all honesty, one of my earliest exposures to the japanese "Real Robot" genre,

and it was instrumental, along with some light exposure to ROBOTECH as a toddler back in the mid-80's

in grooming me for my future as an OTAKU.

i have both my original, 1990-bought, threadbare U.S. T.E. edition game, as well as a copy of LEYNOS that is nearly mint, and quite complete;

SEGAGENESISCOLLECTION1-5-111.jpg

like all early-era SEGA GENESIS/MEGA DRIVE games and consoles, there is NO regional lockout,

so my copy of LEYNOS plays just fine on my early-era U.S. GENESIS console.

indeed, i have played my T.E. copy into the ground throughout the 15 years i enjoyed it until i picked LEYNOS up in the mid 2000s.

it still works fine, and i occasionally have pangs to play the game through again every so often,

but now i use my LEYNOS copy exclusively.

anyway, i have always loved the game, and have always liked the AS-5E3 "Leynos" ASSAULT SUIT design.

as such, i have always dreamed of having a model or pre-fab figure of the Mecha,

but have always figured that such a thing could never happen outside of perhaps the Garage Kit industry.

well, this "PLUM" company has come out of nowhere just this year and made my dream come true!!

this is a VERY EXPENSIVE snap-fit polycapped injection kit, and isn't going to be like the typical BANDAI MG GUNDAM.

i CANNOT MAKE a mistake with it, lest i'll have to live with it, as this model is much too expensive for my budget

to be tackling half-heartedly.

i am a fairly basic-skilled plastic modeler, but a PRO i am most assuredly not.

therefore, i am NOT going to be giving this thing a total paint job.

i'll be adding, fine details wherever necessary, but the model at large will remain in it's molded finish.

if i REALLY wanted, i THINK i could make a an overall serviceable whack at a pro finish,

but i'd rather have a detailed toy-like model that i do not have to worry about handling,

so paint work will remain limited to fine detail.

EBAY says i should expect to receive this about mid August.

being that the seller is HONG KONG in origin, and judging by the many HK EBAY purchases i've made before,

that ETA sounds about right. we'll see...

Edited by Shaorin

wheee!! it just came this morning!!

AS-5E3PLAYERTYPEJohns7-28-11.jpg

BIG box, absolutely packed with parts frames! NO wasted space!! it looks like it'll build to a nice, beefy size, a solid 1/35 to match those figures i bought for it!!

still have yet to receive that VERLINDEN fighter pilot, but that should show up soon enough!

i've already started the base coat on that DESERT STORM figure set, and i'll be painting that pilot to basically match.

got a lot of work to do now!!

Mmmmm,I loves me my Leynos. I bought one kit as soon as it hit the market, but still have no time to build it. It looks like PLUM likes doing videogame mecha, since they also made the Silverhawk kit from Darius Burst. When I do find some time, I hope to give my Leynos an olive drab theme. Good luck on your build!

Mmmmm,I loves me my Leynos. I bought one kit as soon as it hit the market, but still have no time to build it. It looks like PLUM likes doing videogame mecha, since they also made the Silverhawk kit from Darius Burst. When I do find some time, I hope to give my Leynos an olive drab theme. Good luck on your build!

they also have done the SA-77 "SYLPHEED" fighter from the SEGA-CD game, and it's updated PS2 remake.

check their Site out; you'll likely get a real kick out of what their "PLUM" brand name is an abbreviation of;

http://www.pmoa.co.jp/

also, see my progress on this beauty in this thread;

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=35120&st=35

They presented the WALKEN prototype at wonderfest this summer: now I'm really excited.

"VALKEN" actually.

everyone out there seems to prefer the VALKEN game and it's mecha design.

i must be one of the tiny handful of people out there that actually prefers LEYNOS.

don't even get me started on the 1997 SEGA SATURN A.S. LEYNOS 2, however;

i despise it and it's 1990's American comic book chara design, and i was unimpressed with it's gameplay, as well.

i personally disown that game as an entry in the series, and am even ashamed to admit that i actually own a copy of it...

Edited by Shaorin

I loved that game, bought the "Target Earth" US version after a friend of mine rented it. Friends said it was hard, but I played through it. I really did like the feel of being in a battle, especially the space ones with warships and other mecha flying around shooting and shooting at each other. I tried real hard to save NPCs (mecha or ships). Space and ground battles, base busting, and air/space-borne drops. The game had it all for a sci-fi & war "anime" feel to it.

The nice part, from what I had with the US version, was that there really was no clear cut "badguys."

Back in high school when this title came out, I did like the designs. Drew it all over my book covers along with tons of VF-1 Valks ^_^

I loved that game, bought the "Target Earth" US version after a friend of mine rented it. Friends said it was hard, but I played through it. I really did like the feel of being in a battle, especially the space ones with warships and other mecha flying around shooting and shooting at each other. I tried real hard to save NPCs (mecha or ships). Space and ground battles, base busting, and air/space-borne drops. The game had it all for a sci-fi & war "anime" feel to it.

ya know, i felt the same exact way growing up with it.

like i have mentioned on this forum, as well as on others; LEYNOS was one of the founding experiences that ingrained the seed of my Anime fandom.

today, Anime is all about the Cutesy Girls, and i very much enjoy that, but there is indeed something to be said about the good old-fashioned

military mecha Anime of the 1980's, of which LEYNOS was clearly heavily inspired by...

I never heard of this before, but that mecha is bad-ass. Just the aesthetic I like.

The mecha is from the old sega genesis game Assault Suits Leynos otherwise known in the U.S. as Target Earth. The original game had a semi-prequel/spinoff that came out for the SNES called Assault Suits Valken otherwise known in the U.S. as Cybernator. Later on the programing crew that made the game "zombies ate my neighbors" decided to make a new game, and being fans of both blaster master and cybernator and seeing how neither was getting a sequel anytime soon, they decided to combine ideas from the two and the game Metal Warriors was created. Eventually sequels to both Leynos and Valken were made, although Valken II is a strategy Rpg unlike the originals side scrolling platformer.

Metal Warriors gameplay

believe it or not U.S. born gajin were behind this game from Lucasarts published by Konami. Its a great game that was released late in the SNES lifespan, yet it is also insanely difficult with no cheat codes, save files and limited continues. This is one of the few games I know I will never beat without cheating.

Edited by renegadeleader1

I never heard of this before, but that mecha is bad-ass. Just the aesthetic I like.

Even if you were old school gamer with the 8 & 16 bit days, it doesn't surprise me you didn't hear of the title. Didn't get that wide a release but I count myself lucky.

- I loved the intro also. Gave that space war anime vibe like it was nobody's business B))

The ending was short, but sweet and cool.

Edited by Warmaker

I really like the mech's design. I'm a really big fan of cylinders sticking out at odd angles on my mecha.

omg, Metal Warriors. I had that game when I was younger, and single player was INSANE hard. Multiplayer was a blast tho, because you could swap suits during the match, completely changing your playstyle.

Edited by one_klump

Assault suit Valken AKA Cybernator

omg, Metal Warriors. I had that game when I was younger, and single player was INSANE hard. Multiplayer was a blast tho, because you could swap suits during the match, completely changing your playstyle.

I used to love using the Drache and dive bombing him to death in seconds from completely offscreen.

Edited by renegadeleader1

Assault suit Valken AKA Cybernator

I used to love using the Drache and dive bombing him to death in seconds from completely offscreen.

yeah, i've had METAL WARRIORS for over a decade now. it truly is difficult.

i just picked up copies of both VALKEN and CYBERNATOR off EBAY for peanuts a few days back.

this will be my first time experiencing the game...

oh, and and i'm nearly finished with my paint work on the AS-5E3. pics will come soon as i'm done...

Edited by Shaorin

just started playing the U.S. CYBERNATOR port of AS VALKEN a few days ago, and, what can i say? PURE AWESOME.

my GOD, where has this game BEEN all my life? i GET INTO this game, in the very same way that i have always gotten into LEYNOS.

it isn't perfect, and neither is LEYNOS. but i'll be damned if both of them aren't CLOSE ENOUGH to perfection for me!!

they just don't make 'em like this anymore. a RARE GEM, even in it's day.

i have made it to the final boss so far, and have almost managed to defeat it before running dry of credits.

i use the NAPALM weapon cheat every time i play through, otherwise the game would be next to impossible.

i have a SUPER FAMICOM copy of AS VALKEN coming soon, and a pass-through converter to play it on my SUPER NINTENDO.

i already know the CYBERNATOR version like the back of my hand, so i'll be able to spot all the differences

between the two versions instantly...

Cybernator was a fun game, gotta love that beam gun.

Check it out, PLUM is releasing the earth type Leynos later this year: Earth Leynos. It looks like it might be pricier than the first Leynos kit, but dammit this will be mine too!

the NAPALM is the most powerful weapon in the game, however.

yeah, i've heard of that one. i believe i heard that it is priced higher because it's a DENGEKI exclusive limited release,

but i could be mistaken.

i'm happy with the SPACE type that i got. if PLUM eventually release a VALKEN,

then i'll most likely pick one of those up to complement the LEYNOS i already have...

Edited by Shaorin