Street Fighter X Tekken / Tekken X Street Fighter

Announced at Comic-Con, press release ripped from eventhubs.com:

SAN DIEGO, CA — July 24, 2010 — Capcom, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games today announced that Street Fighter X Tekken is in development for the PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system and the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft. The title will make history as fighters from these two bastions of the fighting genre come together for the very first time.

Utilizing the same technology that powered Street Fighter IV & Super Street Fighter IV, Tekken characters such as Kazuya Mishima and Nina Williams will make the transition into the Street Fighter universe having been re-imagined using the much-loved art style of these seminal titles; while retaining their unique characteristics and signature moves as they go head-to-head with classic brawlers from the Street Fighter franchise in what promises to be the ultimate match up.

As in Street Fighter IV, 2D gameplay will feature fully realized 3D character models battling for domination in both new and familiar highly detailed environments that are brought to life with engaging animations. In addition to modes such as Versus and Training that will feature new enhancements to make the fighting experience more in-depth and enjoyable, Street Fighter X Tekken will include Tag Team combat where players select two fighters to deliver knockout assist attacks and special combos.

The announcement, which took place at Comic-Con in San Diego in front of thousands of Street Fighter fans, was made by the Producer of Street Fighter X Tekken, Yoshinori Ono, and Tekken series Director, Katsuhiro Harada. Commenting on the origins of this project Yoshinori Ono said: “This is history we're making. Two fighting games that have rivaled each other are finally standing on the same stage. This isn't just a showdown between Tekken and Street Fighter, but a decisive battle for Capcom and Namco Bandai Games. So I'm going to give it my all.”

And because reading is boring, here are some video links

More pumped for this, than MvsC3.

I find it blessing that a constraint has been placed for only SF and Tekken characters.

This way we won't have the completely weird and wacky characters, that just don't fit in filling the roster.

awesome, i hope the gameplay is more akin to Tekken than it is to SF4 (dynamics, 3D rotating environment, etc.), with specials and goodies sprinkled in from the SF franchise. Really never saw this coming but am exciting by the prospect.

There's actually two games, Street Fighter X Tekken is based around a 2D field similar to SF4 and is being done by Capcom. While Tekken X Street Fighter is going to be based in a 3D field, feature more Tekken like mechanics, and is being developed by Namco.

As far as I know, only the Capcom iteration was available (unexpectedly) to play at comic con this weekend.

My "perfect" combo would be Tekken 6's graphics/style, but with SF4's 2D play and mechanics.

mine is definitely the opposite, but that's more due to my experience in both genres. I was actually a Capcom snob and always ridiculed the Tekken groupies because my assumption was that they lacked the quick fingers and split second reactions to keep up in the world of Capcom fighting. This was around the time of X-Men vs SF/Tekken 3, which i was a dominating competitor of the former, and my friend had introduced me to Tekken 3 when it hit the console. That's when i learned that Tekken (IMO) was truly the superior fighting game, it's all based on timing and strategy (down to the smallest detail), not speed and maximum hit combos like the SF franchise (at that time anyway). I do think that SF4 has taken back a lot of territory that was lost in the "VS" franchise of games, and timing has now become very critical once again, but where SF had to bring themselves back to basics Tekken never strayed from it and the difference is in the details.