Anyone know a good way to strip enamel paint off?

Vifam7

Spray Easy-Off all over the part and stick in in a zip lock bag overnight. That should do it easily. If not, doing the same with brake fluid will take it off.

Is Easy-Off available at the supermarket?

This stuff won't melt the plastic will it? Just wondering if it'll be safe for me to spray it on tonight and come back to it 7pm tomorrow night. I got work to go to in the morning. :p

Is Easy-Off available at the supermarket?

This stuff won't melt the plastic will it? Just wondering if it'll be safe for me to spray it on tonight and come back to it 7pm tomorrow night. I got work to go to in the morning. :p

Yup. You can find it in most grocery stores. It won't melt the plastic. I've let my stuff sit for days and it was fine. The paint will just kind of dissolve. Use an old toothbrush to get into panel lines or cracks of necessary.

Yup. You can find it in most grocery stores. It won't melt the plastic. I've let my stuff sit for days and it was fine. The paint will just kind of dissolve. Use an old toothbrush to get into panel lines or cracks of necessary.

Fantastic!

Many many thanks.

You just saved me from ordering parts at HLJ.

Easy-off can damage plastic, craze the surface, and make smaller surfaces brittle in my experience. I use Brake Fluid.

Buy some automotive brake fluid and a $1 plastic shoebox. Soak the parts in the fluid overnight (it won't affect the plastic), and scrub under running water with a stiff brush. Be sure to wear rubber gloves.

Might take a couple applications. You may need to soak a paper towel in the fluid and drape it over it if the part tends to float to the surface.

You can also re-use the fluid. Additionally, you can get all this stuff at a Dollar Tree store, so you can have the whole project materials list done for $4-5 dollars.

Edited by AcroRay

I agree with AcroRay.

Brake Fluid overnight does it for me for the tough jobs, have had to let soak twice one time, but it works great.

I have used Oven Off and it is pretty quick compared to Brake Fluid, but is strong and quite hazardous to your lungs.

Brake Fluid can be put in a bowl and just sit their without as much worry as Oven Off.

I put the parts in Easy-Off last night. Seems to be working. The paint is has gotten soft but still takes some scraping to get it off. I think I'll let it soak for one more night and see what happens.

Next time I'll try brake fluid.

Thanks for the tips.

I put the parts in Easy-Off last night. Seems to be working. The paint is has gotten soft but still takes some scraping to get it off. I think I'll let it soak for one more night and see what happens.

Next time I'll try brake fluid.

Thanks for the tips.

warm water and old tooth brush

Hey guys, the Easy-Off worked!

2 nights in the Easy-Off made the paint very soggy loose. Some scrubbing under warm water followed by a bit of sanding got it done.

The Easy-Off didn't seem to affect the plastic. Could be that the plastic on this Bandai kit is made of tougher stuff. Nevertheless, I'll try brake fluid the next time I screw up.

Thank you all for the advice.

quick note on brake fluid for stripping paint:

DO NOT USE DOT-2 BRAKE FLUID. IT WILL MELT THE PLASTIC

DOT-3 is safe on just about everything as far as I can tell. DOT-4 is safe on ABS and polystyrene, but will soften/melt resin.

:edit: also I think most newer Bandai kits are made from ABS. ABS is less chemically sensitive than polystyrene so it holds up to oven cleaner better. I would still avoid the oven cleaner though. Toxic aerosol=bad times.

Edited by anime52k8

I've used several different things...

1. Scalecoat - Works well on 1/55 and similar "smooth" surfaces. By rubbing, you can remove some paints in as little as five minutes, with just a heavily doused cotton swab. Just don't rub too hard or you will mar the surface.

2. GooGone - Same as scale coat.

3. Orange Floor Cleaner - Will strip paint off a 1/48 (or most anything) without discoloring or harming the plastic, given about 1 month in a OFC bath. Plus it leaves a nice scent.

4. Simple Green - Will strip the paint off anything given a long period of time (approx 1 month). Not only will it completely remove paint, it will not harm the plastic. Also, it will remove old stuck on paint on plastic handled paint brushes and return the bristles to normal, just be sure not to soak wooden handled brushes as the Simple Green will bloat the handle. Oh, and it leaves a nice scent. ^_^

Always remember wash off anything you use to remove paint before priming or the resutls could be disasterous.