Question on Gundam Markers

Macross_Fanboy

Well, I know this topic has come up before because I remember seeing it a long time ago. Anyways, I wanna add some detail to the panel lines on my Yamato Valks. So how good are the Gundam markers at making panel lines without smudging or anything? I'm not a pro-customizer, last model kit I built was a partially completed VF-1 and VF-0, and that was many years ago. Hopefully I can see some examples that any of you might have done. ;)

Well, I know this topic has come up before because I remember seeing it a long time ago. Anyways, I wanna add some detail to the panel lines on my Yamato Valks. So how good are the Gundam markers at making panel lines without smudging or anything? I'm not a pro-customizer, last model kit I built was a partially completed VF-1 and VF-0, and that was many years ago. Hopefully I can see some examples that any of you might have done. ;)

I find a graphite pencil works much better for subtle panel lines, if you make a mistake it can be easily removed too. If you mess up with a Gundam marker...you're not getting that off without a fight.

There are 2 types of Gundam markers used for panel-lining.

One has a thicker tip. The gray (or black, can't remember lol) one is GM21-200. This works kind of like a wash. Fill the panel line, and wipe off the excess with a non-abrasive cloth. The excess ink rubs right off clean if you do it within a minute.

The other type of marker, and a representative one of the same color is GM02-200. It has an ultra-thin tip, and feels more like you're using a pen or pencil.

Both types rub off easily with a cloth if done fast, and can also be rubbed off via rubbing alcohol. G-markers are great for novice model building, but once you start to work with other types of paints they react somewhat strangely and inconsistently, so I would suggest graduating to some sort of enamel wash :) .

However, G-markers will probably work fine with toys with the error-correction methods I described above. Note: I don't take responsibility for wrecking yammies. Good luck :p

A minor correction and addition to the above.

GM21 has a thin soft tip point. It contains gray acrylic paint.

GM02 has a ultra thin hard tip point. This one contains gray lacquer paint.

For panel lining a Yamato, I'd recommend using the GM21 since it's acrylic paint and tends to come out easier if you make a mistake. I also read somewhere that Yamato's plastic doesn't react well with the lacquer paint of GM02.

As written above, the easiest tool is a soft graphite pencil (perhaps an artist's 2B pencil).

Edited by Vifam7

Gundam marker is too fat and sloppy for any kind of fine panel line work. I use a 0.3 mm mechanical pencil. Though plain lead works fine, on my Yamatos I used a higher density (2H) lead that's harder and draws lighter; I didn't want dark, sloppy panel lines. Not prone to smudging at all, either.

post-5703-1260891316_thumb.jpg

Gundam marker is too fat and sloppy for any kind of fine panel line work. I use a 0.3 mm mechanical pencil. Though plain lead works fine, on my Yamatos I used a higher density (2H) lead that's harder and draws lighter; I didn't want dark, sloppy panel lines. Not prone to smudging at all, either.

Thanks for the pic, I guess I'll go with a pencil, I got a .7mm pencil so that won't do at all, looks like I'll order one from HLJ since I won't have time to drive to a shop and get one. :)

Thanks for the pic, I guess I'll go with a pencil, I got a .7mm pencil so that won't do at all, looks like I'll order one from HLJ since I won't have time to drive to a shop and get one. :)
I like the option to keep finished details very impermanent although that is not to say that Gundam markers are not good it's just that a well prepared surface maximizes the results. A careful sanding with grits ranging from 100 grit to 900 give the surface a pristine kind of look. Between the sanding is the best way to apply the color I found between 400 and 600 grit is usually good especially if it is a dense surface like epoxy resin kits and ABS plastics. A middle tone gray marker is good then black afterward when all the details are finished I like a little graphite on the surface between the panel lines just as a finishing touch. I've heard from other aircraft modeling sites some people like to use powdered colors ( pastels, crushed charcoal) to great affect I haven't tried anything except for the surface priming method and the graphite finish. Edited by leading edge