Flashback 2012

makurosu

I just finished watching Flashback 2012 after trying to download it for a couple days off of the iMacross servers. It was well worth the time, and an item I will be adding to my DVD collection as soon as I get the money.

I've seen a couple of these music video with recycled and new footage montages before, and haven't been too impressed. The main disappointing one was Live, Love, Alive, but that's more because of the horrid guy voice versions of the songs, and Yellow's new look. (Insert barf emoticon here). This one was well done. Right down to the war black and white war footage over "Love Drifts Away". (Sorry, I can't remember the Japanese name off the top of my head. :p )

It was also great to finally see the footage of the Megaroad taking off. The VF-4 was also neat, though I didn't care for that goofy looking helmet Hikaru had on.

Anyhoo, that was a fantastic and satisfying end to SDF:Macross/DYRL?

Yeah, FB2012 is cool... BTW, the Japanese title of the song is "ai wa nagareru". It is a kind of closure to the original open-ended series.

It would also be cool to see a new updated version of Flashback featuring Fire Bomber, since Mac7 was equally (if not more) open-ended. How about Flashback 2048??

The reason M7 is so...er, "controversial" is that Kawamori didn't "visit" it in the first place. He set out the main ideas and story, did a few designs with Hal and Miyatake and then carried on with MacPlus and Escaflowne.

I blame Tetsuro Amino for all of M7's annoying repetition and cheesy directing. Had Kawamori or Shinichirou Watanabe taken the mantle of directing M7 we'd have a show which everyone would agree is kickass. With a Flashback update, Kawamori could put M7 back on the map. Mikimoto already played a big part in making it cool enough with his few scenes in the excellent D7 opening.

The reason M7 is so...er, "controversial" is that Kawamori didn't "visit" it in the first place. He set out the main ideas and story, did a few designs with Hal and Miyatake and then carried on with MacPlus and Escaflowne.

I blame Tetsuro Amino for all of M7's annoying repetition and cheesy directing. Had Kawamori or Shinichirou Watanabe taken the mantle of directing M7 we'd have a show which everyone would agree is kickass. With a Flashback update, Kawamori could put M7 back on the map. Mikimoto already played a big part in making it cool enough with his few scenes in the excellent D7 opening.

Didn't he do that with Dynamite? Asking cause I never bothered to look at who directed it...

Personally, I'd really like to see a 'DYRL?' style big budget movie version/remake of Macross 7. Don't get me wrong, I like the series, but there's a some things about it that I think could be improved upon, mainly (almost entirely, actually) stylistically.

Still, I'm content with Dynamite 7, which basically imrpoves upon a lot of what I wasn't entirely happy with in M7 (such as the costume designs, villain designs, and we got a bunch of great new mecha and some excellent new songs).

Personally, I'd really like to see a 'DYRL?' style big budget movie version/remake of Macross 7. Don't get me wrong, I like the series, but there's a some things about it that I think could be improved upon, mainly (almost entirely, actually) stylistically.

Still, I'm content with Dynamite 7, which basically imrpoves upon a lot of what I wasn't entirely happy with in M7 (such as the costume designs, villain designs, and we got a bunch of great new mecha and some excellent new songs).

They probably couldn't make it worse...

Personally, I'd really like to see a 'DYRL?' style big budget movie version/remake of Macross 7.

It didn't do well enough to warrent a big budget animated film.

Macross 7 actually did pretty well in Japan, unliek the original Macross is actually lasted it's full running length. <_<

And unlike most Japanese TV shows which fade after a year or so it stayed popular among fans thanks to continued releases of Fire Bomber music. Not to mention the movie. And the OVA series.

That isn't quite fair. The original Macross was cut down by the suits before it aired; once it aired, it was so popular with the TV audience that it was extended, though admittedly not to the originally-conceived 50-odd episodes.

Edited by ewilen

Here's a semi-related, amusing quote from Hiroki Sato, the producer of Evangelion:

"At the time when we announced Evangelion, the only Evangelion that had been released was Sadamoto's manga. The fans said `What is this? Give us Macross Seven!' We were nobody then."

Not explicit proof, but amusing none the less.

Got that quote from A Fans View, btw.

What's not fair is ignoring the massive popularity that Macross 7 had.

Since this comment appears to refer to mine...

Who said I was ignoring it? It may have seemed that I was taking sides in an M7 vs. Macross debate, but I wasn't. I was commenting on the accuracy and fairness of "unliek the original Macross is actually lasted it's full running length." Macross lasted the full 26 episodes that were approved in pre-production, and was extended by 10 episodes due to popular acclaim. If you'd like to compare that to M7 being approved for 49 episodes, and running the whole length, fine.

Edited by ewilen