Macross II

Mohawk

Interesting, I always wondered what happened in the Macross II timeline between DYRL and MII. Is there a summary of events (for those that cannot read Japanese) around that fills in the gaps? Doing some google searches left me a bit confused with several contradicting explanations, including some that deny the existance of a separate timeline.

Yeah, there's a LOT of misinformation out there about the Macross II continuity, due in part to the fact that the only widely-available English-language publication covering the OVA is Palladium's wildly inaccurate Macross II RPG, goofs made by fans trying to correct Palladium's work without access to official source material, and errors made over the years like Macross Ace's incorrect timeline placing Macross II in 2090 in the main continuity, which is wrong on a number of levels.

Some time ago, I got bored and wrote out this mildly detailed continuity, though some elements of it need to be changed in light of new information... particularly the period when the Macross was partially refitted by the U.N. Spacy. I can't post the changes there anymore because I was banned for pointing out the facts of the Macross licensing situation when I saw one of the mods there spreading misinformation about it:

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...&forumid=24

Sorry, who's Seto again and why did he write that timeline?

That'd be me... and I wrote that timeline out of boredom using the sources at my disposal to give people a general idea of what the Macross continuity looked like prior to Kawamori booting Macross II over to parallel world status and inserting Macross Plus in its place.

He's probably the closest thing there is to a Macross II expert in the west. He's also apparently some kind of nefarious ringleader who organizes his legion of fans into strike teams whose sole purpose is to annoy Robotech fans.

Flattery will get you everywhere. :p However, I still don't get why every member of the Robotech lunatic fringe singles ME out as the "ringleader" whenever anyone decides to argue with them. Sometimes I'm not even involved and people attribute it to me.

Seto wrote this up a while ago:

Although I think he said he was planning on revising it at some point.

Yeah, there's a LOT of misinformation out there about the Macross II continuity, due in part to the fact that the only widely-available English-language publication covering the OVA is Palladium's wildly inaccurate Macross II RPG, goofs made by fans trying to correct Palladium's work without access to official source material, and errors made over the years like Macross Ace's incorrect timeline placing Macross II in 2090 in the main continuity, which is wrong on a number of levels.

Some time ago, I got bored and wrote out this mildly detailed continuity, though some elements of it need to be changed in light of new information... particularly the period when the Macross was partially refitted by the U.N. Spacy. I can't post the changes there anymore because I was banned for pointing out the facts of the Macross licensing situation when I saw one of the mods there spreading misinformation about it:

Thanks a lot, you two ^_^

Feels a bit strange to be linked to a RT site and actually get accurate info on a Macross production :blink:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showuser=2536

He's probably the closest thing there is to a Macross II expert in the west. He's also apparently some kind of nefarious ringleader who organizes his legion of fans into strike teams whose sole purpose is to annoy Robotech fans.

cool, thanks man, I was also missleaded by getting send to the homotech forums

I always wondered about that gap between the events of DYRL and Macross II, but I skeptical to read all that thinking it might be some fanfic story were admiral Rick Hunter flagship was still on his way to earth, hahahahaha :lol:

I do have to wonder... Why the heck did they refit the Macross with so many beam weapons? Not to mention it doesn't have a crew or it only needs to two people to operate.

well going by the general design philosophy of MacII, 'The more big cannons, the better.' They sure went crazy with loading everything up with big cannons.

Feels a bit strange to be linked to a RT site and actually get accurate info on a Macross production :blink:

Don't worry, I'm drafting an updated, more detailed version that I'll post here on MacrossWorld over the Christmas break.

cool, thanks man, I was also missleaded by getting send to the homotech forums

I always wondered about that gap between the events of DYRL and Macross II, but I skeptical to read all that thinking it might be some fanfic story were admiral Rick Hunter flagship was still on his way to earth, hahahahaha :lol:

lol, don't worry. I've got official publications to back up everything that's in there (with the exception of the aforementioned corrections, which are due to ambiguous remarks by Kenichi Yatagai). Between that and the tiny bit of new info published in Macross Chronicle, we've got possibly the clearest view of the VF-2SS's capabilities that we've ever had... I think it may be the only VF other than the VF-1 for which a canon reactor output is actually given in addition to its engine thrust... 'course those thrust figures only cover the fighter's main engines...

I do have to wonder... Why the heck did they refit the Macross with so many beam weapons? Not to mention it doesn't have a crew or it only needs to two people to operate.

Unfortunately, I have no in-universe explanation for why the Macross was fitted with two pairs of additional booms for the main gun. According to Kenichi Yatagai, the U.N. Spacy was refitting the Macross with the intention of returning to ship to service, and that work on the ship (which included fitting it with a new main cannon) was terminated at the start of one of the later conflicts with the Zentradi, after which the still-functional ship was retired and made into a monument. Kenichi Yatagai doesn't get any more specific than that, unfortunately... and doesn't specify which conflict caused the U.N. Spacy to abort their restoration work on the ship.