I think i figured out Macross7

RDClip

The only specific's people need to know, are that LOVE WILL SAVE YOUR HEART! LOVE WILL LIGHT THE LIGHT!!

That and it would help if someone explained what a marcupial pouch is?

... And you like 7. Which kind of proves its shallow. I see the whole thing as both gay and straight innuendoes, in some bizarre kiddie manner. I am not trying to start trouble (as I promised I wouldn't) but seriously. I see ZERO substance in the entire show, and you guys already know my list on negatives which fill the void normally occupied by plot. Even the questions here you guys are answering poorly... Keith shows up and says something like 'Basara is a manly man!!!' and you guys all jump for joy. Why doesn't someone actually summarize what a normal person should take away from this show?

First off Agent1 - have no fear that you will be assailed for starting anything because I'll always back you up.

Second - there is zero substance in the entire show - that's sort of part of the point. Let me put it this way: there are generally two ways to look at things: through emotions and through reason. The majority of people look at things through a combination of both - because all of us feel a little and all of us reason a little.

Some people sometimes tend to reason more and feel less, other people feel more and reason less. Nekki Bassara doesn't reason. He's totally unreasonable - and therefore there is no substance to him. There's nothing reasonable.

Sounds convey emotions. Language is the rationalization of sound in order to convey reason. Another way to put this: "um-um...mm..." muttered while rubbing your stomach might convey the feeling of hunger. "Could I please have a large pepperoni pizza with extra cheese?" is an example where sounds have been rationalized into a language which attempts to signify very definitive things or actions in order that people can better understand their true desires and be able to interact with a view to the fulfillment of those desires.

However - sometimes - it is possible to use sounds which have been rationalized into language to reach back to the irrational roots of language: sounds.

Huh?

Well - lemme put it this way: the more words we come up with to define our world, the more those definitions trap us in conventions. Words like "monster" or "transsexual vampire" or "gremlin with a lolipop in his hair and cotton candy as pants" seem to explain the Protodevilin to us - but in fact they make it more difficult to understand the protodevilin.

In the extreme, language, which is a rationalization of sounds meant to help us rule the world and live better can end up ruling us by closing the world off from us - making it impossible for us to experience the world without the filter of language which, rather than signifying something meaningful, suddenly takes up a meaning all its' own and blinds us to the thing it is attempting to grasp.

This is where the urge to rebel against language comes in - the urge to return to a more primordial experience between man and the universe. Yet since we are trapped in history and most of us have been throw school and nurtured in a culture where thoughts and emotions are all expressed in language - we even cannot help but use this tool when we think to ourselves.

So we seek out the pre-lingual even though we are trapped in language. What do we find then?

Music, art, theatre, movies, books, video games, anime - generally what is called culture.

This is nothing short of the attempt to restore a healthy emotionalism to our lives and free us from the confines of language which traps us in conventions.

So -

Look at it this way - the whole point of Bassara is to attempt to channel into something that is common for all sentient beings - sentient meaning they are conscious of their existence and feel anxiety in a primordial sense about who they are, where they came from and where they are going.

Basara uses music to evoke the emotions that language has covered up and break through the stereotypes and conventions that language has created.

He does so by turning language against itself - by speaking words in melodies which strike the heart and by composing lyrics and accompanying music in such a way as to move people's hearts.

And move the hearts of the Protodevilin.

Maybe a good analogy would be this:

Bassara is like a body builder in a room full of coach potatos. People who do nothing but sit around all day, play nintendo and eat pizza are bound to eventualy develop heartache, their joints stiffen up, they feel lethargic.

They are unable to feel good about themselves because they lack physical fitness. So what do they do? They turn on the TV and watch Ahnold or some other show about people who move around, have girlfriends, cars and muscles. All of this because they feel that they cannot have these things.

In comes Basara - body builder.

He puts on some music, and starts jumping around encouraging people to get off the coach and do some aerobics, lift some weights - to develop a routine that will restore their physical strength and potential.

In the end - Basara the bodybuilder proves to the coach potatos that they don't need to live out their fantasies by proxy. That TV shows can be inspiring and nice - but they are no substitute for finding a girlfriend, getting a car, lifting weights, jogging, winning basketball games and generally making your own life interesting.

That's exactly what Bassara teaches the Protodevilin and exactly what Macross 7 teaches us :)

Pete

That and it would help if someone explained what a marcupial pouch is?

First off Agent1 - have no fear that you will be assailed for starting anything because I'll always back you up.

Second - there is zero substance in the entire show - that's sort of part of the point. Let me put it this way: there are generally two ways to look at things: through emotions and through reason. The majority of people look at things through a combination of both - because all of us feel a little and all of us reason a little.

Some people sometimes tend to reason more and feel less, other people feel more and reason less. Nekki Bassara doesn't reason. He's totally unreasonable - and therefore there is no substance to him. There's nothing reasonable.

Sounds convey emotions. Language is the rationalization of sound in order to convey reason. Another way to put this: "um-um...mm..." muttered while rubbing your stomach might convey the feeling of hunger. "Could I please have a large pepperoni pizza with extra cheese?" is an example where sounds have been rationalized into a language which attempts to signify very definitive things or actions in order that people can better understand their true desires and be able to interact with a view to the fulfillment of those desires.

However - sometimes - it is possible to use sounds which have been rationalized into language to reach back to the irrational roots of language: sounds.

Huh?

Well - lemme put it this way: the more words we come up with to define our world, the more those definitions trap us in conventions. Words like "monster" or "transsexual vampire" or "gremlin with a lolipop in his hair and cotton candy as pants" seem to explain the Protodevilin to us - but in fact they make it more difficult to understand the protodevilin.

In the extreme, language, which is a rationalization of sounds meant to help us rule the world and live better can end up ruling us by closing the world off from us - making it impossible for us to experience the world without the filter of language which, rather than signifying something meaningful, suddenly takes up a meaning all its' own and blinds us to the thing it is attempting to grasp.

This is where the urge to rebel against language comes in - the urge to return to a more primordial experience between man and the universe. Yet since we are trapped in history and most of us have been throw school and nurtured in a culture where thoughts and emotions are all expressed in language - we even cannot help but use this tool when we think to ourselves.

So we seek out the pre-lingual even though we are trapped in language. What do we find then?

Music, art, theatre, movies, books, video games, anime - generally what is called culture.

This is nothing short of the attempt to restore a healthy emotionalism to our lives and free us from the confines of language which traps us in conventions.

So -

Look at it this way - the whole point of Bassara is to attempt to channel into something that is common for all sentient beings - sentient meaning they are conscious of their existence and feel anxiety in a primordial sense about who they are, where they came from and where they are going.

Basara uses music to evoke the emotions that language has covered up and break through the stereotypes and conventions that language has created.

He does so by turning language against itself - by speaking words in melodies which strike the heart and by composing lyrics and accompanying music in such a way as to move people's hearts.

And move the hearts of the Protodevilin.

Maybe a good analogy would be this:

Bassara is like a body builder in a room full of coach potatos. People who do nothing but sit around all day, play nintendo and eat pizza are bound to eventualy develop heartache, their joints stiffen up, they feel lethargic.

They are unable to feel good about themselves because they lack physical fitness. So what do they do? They turn on the TV and watch Ahnold or some other show about people who move around, have girlfriends, cars and muscles. All of this because they feel that they cannot have these things.

In comes Basara - body builder.

He puts on some music, and starts jumping around encouraging people to get off the coach and do some aerobics, lift some weights - to develop a routine that will restore their physical strength and potential.

In the end - Basara the bodybuilder proves to the coach potatos that they don't need to live out their fantasies by proxy. That TV shows can be inspiring and nice - but they are no substitute for finding a girlfriend, getting a car, lifting weights, jogging, winning basketball games and generally making your own life interesting.

That's exactly what Bassara teaches the Protodevilin and exactly what Macross 7 teaches us :)

Pete

1. I think bodybuilding is pretty gay, so calling Basara that only confuses me, but I think I see your point.

2. Thank you for admitting m7 is shallow.

3. So the whole point is that the entire universe can give up on their problems and just sing J-pop?

I like body building. Ever since I started working out, I've found that I can smoke and drink more without feeling like my lungs are going to ooze out my nose, or my liver is going to explode. I'm slowly building to actually being able to lift those huge barbell things... but it'll be a while. For now I just do an hour on the exercise bike and then take turns on all those contraptions for weight lifting where you don't actually lift the barbell things but instead you have these machines...I dunno...you know what I'm talking about...they are made to tone and build particular muscles and it varies depending on what machine you get on... It's interesting because I'm kind of learning and getting the hang of it. I only work out once a week though - can't really afford more... The key is to keep going at it and not give up.

As for the gay thing - yeah - kind of in a Borat like way. Lots of sweaty guys, and in Eastern Europe EVERYBODY who is a total stranger HAS TO great you. It's seriously just like in Borat. Remember that scene in the NYC subway where Borat is going around saying "hello, My name a Borat. It nice to meet you" and everybody freaks?

That's 'cause Americans like their private space; and I still have those sensibilities even though I've been here for so many years... so... in the gym...I'm just peddling away on the bike and every single sweaty guy in there feels compelled to come up to me, shake my hand and say "Hi, my name is..." And I have no choice but to also say "Hi. My name is Peter. Nice to meet you."

It's just the way things are.

Thankfully nobody here kisses you.

I'd have to go further east for that :)

Um... but... anyways - the Bassara/Body Builder analogy was just my attempt at getting A1 to see a positive side to Bassara.

I have said it a millio times - the execution of Macross 7 could have been better. And if you don't particularly like Fire Bomber - it makes it a lot harder to forgive some of the more problematic features of the anime.

It just so happens I love Fire Bomber - so I have less trouble taking in Macross 7.

Now if I could only find some kind of sports club where I could get in a game of basketball... really miss those...

Pete

A1 is just some idiot who thinks working out makes him a god or something. Must be all the 'roids.

- Many people workout, they are not gods. It is applying principals correctly and working hard at sticking to them for years that brings one to a level that seems superhuman.

- "idiot?" really? Four patents, a master's degree, and halfway through a PhD?

- Steroids are fools gold. The gains disappear as soon as one stops taking them. I have been in shape for 10 years (like I am now, 220, 6%bf) straight. This wouldn't have been possible if I had ever used steroids.

- Though you are being a douche bag today, your comic was funny. Can you start doing those again? Or at least post the old material somewhere?

EDIT IT: pink valk with boobs = lame

Edited by Agent ONE

Note to Agent 1:

Psst! Remember to mention something about Macross 7 and Bassara in your more off-topic posts, even if they are replies to other peoples' off-topic posts. This way you can always get away with being off topic on the technicalilty that actually, you tied it all back to the topic. Kind of like that one episode of Macross 7 where Bassara quits the band and goes "off topic" insofar as going off to look for his soul or something is kind of an aside to the main plot.

:)

Pete

Note to Agent 1:

Psst! Remember to mention something about Macross 7 and Bassara in your more off-topic posts, even if they are replies to other peoples' off-topic posts. This way you can always get away with being off topic on the technicalilty that actually, you tied it all back to the topic. Kind of like that one episode of Macross 7 where Bassara quits the band and goes "off topic" insofar as going off to look for his soul or something is kind of an aside to the main plot.

:)

Pete

Thank you

- "idiot?" really? Four patents, a master's degree, and halfway through a PhD?

I have one patent, a master's degree and I'm halfway through a PhD, and I admit that I am an idiot. None of those things mean anything when you are discussing cartoons.

Even so, I have "figured out" Macross 7. B))