Custom 1/55 Vf-1S “Hikaru”

mitch

Well, it’s taken about 6 months but the main body of the VF-1S Hikaru custom that I started way back in January is done. I’m currently working on the Strike Pack and hope to be able to show it off before too long.

So without further ado, I humbly present…

FIGHTER

F01.jpg

F02.jpg

F03.jpg

F04.jpg

F05.jpg

F06.jpg

GERWALK

G01.jpg

G02.jpg

G03.jpg

G04.jpg

G05.jpg

The Gunpod was modified so that it can still fire the ‘missiles’ that come packaged with it, but retains the lines of the original artwork. The ‘trigger’ pops up when the missile is inserted and lays flush with the barrel of the gunpod when unloaded. The strap was made from materials available in any good craft/hobby store (I went to Kit Kraft Inc. in Universal City, California 818-509-9739).

Edited by mitch

I just want to say a big thank you to all the members of MW and the Chunky Mafia (1/55’s FTW!!!) who took an interest and offered advice and support, as well as Adam, Larry, Scott, Matt and Philippe for all their help. Pictures were taken by Mikey J.

Edited by mitch

Awesome!!!

Where can I get a cockpit/pilot like that?

Thank you! The cockpit and pilot were custom made. I casted the pilot from a toynami 'masterpiece' and sculpted on the DYRL shoulder pads, made the display screen from styrene and cut a space for the pilot in the existing cockpit from the 1/55.

Thank you! I may do some other members of Skull squadron some day, you never know. Right now I'm working on a Strike pack for this one, and I've got about 3 other Macross projects ready to go after this, but I can potentially get more of the wing missiles casted, along with the inserts for the forearms to hold the hands. The main problem would be doing the thigh swivels since I was able to use a pillar drill to make sure the sockets would be correctly aligned, but thats just the way I do them.

If anyone else would like to do Roy, Max, etc. then I'd be happy to help out in supplying recasts of some of the accessories or info on techniques.

Thank you, it's like miriya said, it seems a shame that thigh swivels were never added since I think it adds so much more to the poseability and the visual dynamics of such a classic design. it was seeing the result of the thigh mods done by Skull-1 and others, as well as the designs for 1/55's with retractable necks from San Diego Comicon last year (I'm still holding out hope, Toynami..!) that got me inspired to give this a go.

Here are a couple of pictures of the Gunpod that I forgot to post...

GUNPOD01.jpg

GUNPOD02.jpg

Thanks again to DyNo for supplying the recast DYRL hands and big F for the tip.

GREAT JOB MITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are officially inducted into the Chunky Monkey Mafia (assuming there are no objections--there won't be I am sure).

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have done a wonderful job. No, a MASTERFUL job. Outstanding.

I'm really almost in tears it looks so good. Way to go brother.

What did you do for the panel lines?

Looks good. I keep gravitating to this thread. I just love the work you did. The hands and the pilot really set the whole thing off. The feet are mastefully done. I really like that take on it. Absolutely great.

I'm going to start doing my customs again this week.

Thanks for the motivation to get back in there.

Edited by Skull-1

The panel lines were done with Tamiya 'smoke'.I was hoping that the paint's translucency would keep them subtle, but keeping the line's depth consistent wasn't happening so I had to make them pretty solid, but at least they are easy enough to clean up with alcohol and a Q-tip. Next time I'll go for something more gray to reign them in a bit. Plus, I found out that Gundam Marker panel liners don't react well to lacquers, so they may not be for everyone.

That's a great custom, mitch! Did you modify the existing feet or scratch-build new ones?

Thanks, I used the original feet on this project. I clamped a metal straight-edge to the top of the foot where I wanted the 'lip' to be to keep the line straight and sanded them, then I scribed the line around the base of the feet. The insides were just masked and sprayed to give the illusion of depth.

Agreed.

I'm going to do my feet like that from now on if I can.

I like the graduated ledge.

Mine have been the same angle all the way down. These are much more accurate.

The color scheme on the feet is also very smart. It definitely gives the proper visual effect.

Just a great job.