Macross Pencil Sharpeners

Draykov

I was surprised to not see a thread dedicated to these yet, considering how often I've heard them mentioned in the forums (or maybe my search just missed it). Anyway, I've found yet more Macross stuff that I wouldn't normally have paid much attention to, but after gazing longingly at the pictures and the promise of "2 mystery type" items, my curiosity has peaked to the point of purchasing. First though, I thought I'd see if anyone here had already shelled out the $30+ for them. The pictures I've seen look pretty cool, and I'd like to have some small scale Valks, etc. floatin' around to put in my display case that I'll eventually get. Any thoughts?

macsharp.jpg

m_pencil.jpg

pencil_ostrich.jpg

pencil_ostrich2.jpg

Edited by Draykov

I bought a couple of boxes. I got the full set of the twenty normal sharpeners. If you find a picture of the box there is a set of 10 pictures on the top of the box and another set of 10 pictures on the front of the box. Basically you either get the set of 10 on the top or front. I think one set is definitely superior to the other. The set on top of the box is the one with the SDF-1, Hikaru, Minmay, destroids, and enemy mecha while the other is basically all valkyries is various modes. The super ostrich comes with the destroid box and the other chase figure of a Super Hikaru DYRL VF-1A comes in the other.

The plastic is pretty flimsy but I like the variety of the assortment. I think most people either love them or hate them. The fighters are displayed on a launch arm which I think is a nice touch. The Hikaru is about 1/48 scale as some people have already noted so it's a nice way to have a more detailed pilot with your already impressive 1/48.

I bought a couple of boxes.  I got the full set of the twenty normal sharpeners.  If you find a picture of the box there is a set of 10 pictures on the top of the box and another set of 10 pictures on the front of the box.  Basically you either get the set of 10 on the top or front.  I think one set is definitely superior to the other.  The set on top of the box is the one with the SDF-1, Hikaru, Minmay, destroids, and enemy mecha while the other is basically all valkyries is various modes.  The super ostrich comes with the destroid box and the other chase figure of a Super Hikaru DYRL VF-1A comes in the other.

The plastic is pretty flimsy but I like the variety of the assortment.  I think most people either love them or hate them.  The fighters are displayed on a launch arm which I think is a nice touch.  The Hikaru is about 1/48 scale as some people have already noted so it's a nice way to have a more detailed pilot with your already impressive 1/48.

Thanks, Biggy. Sounds cool. As they are really just display pieces, I don't mind flimsy plastic, so long as Valks aren't dangling off their launch arms. The Hikaru next to a Yamato 1/48 super VF-1A Battroid or open canopy fighter mode Valk sounds tempting. I think I'm sold. Any dissenters?

Edited by Draykov

Well, I got my first set of these today. I say first because they're pretty cool and I may go for a second set in an attempt to complete the collection. I ended up with the SDF-1/VE-1/Destroid set (that's the one with the Hikaru pilot that Rohby is recasting). I did end up with the VT-1 Super Ostrich in place of the Regult...so for me the Regult is now the chase figure from this set. :rolleyes: These are really cool little sculptures. Think of them as Macross Micromachines but with a functional purpose. The fighter mode Valks come off of their launch arm stands so you can swoosh 'em around. My only complaint is that, like Micromachines, thin, protruding parts like Valk wings tend to get bent up in their little boxes and only straighten out with lots of effort (extended pressure in the form of a clamp or something). I highly recommend these to anyone trying to spice up their display shelves with some small scale goodness or to those with many, many dull pencils.

Edit:

$107.99 shipped?! The crack is strong in Hong Kong...

Edited by Draykov

I actually have 2 cases of these things that I picked up when they first came out to get the whole collection. Unfortunately I never got the whole thing but I did get most of it. I was actually thinking about selling them because I dont see anyone trading anymore.

Rob :ph34r:

I actually have 2 cases of these things that I picked up when they first came out to get the whole collection.  Unfortunately I never got the whole thing but I did get most of it.  I was actually thinking about selling them because I dont see anyone trading anymore.

Rob  :ph34r:

Which ones do you have (that is, if you've opened them to look)? I may go ahead and get a second set, but depending on what you have I might be interested in purchasing them from you or trading (provided I have purchased another set and get duplicates).

Edited by Draykov

I wonder how these Macross pencil sharpeners are being marketed in Japan (overseas). Can you find these alongside Sanrio products? I would imagine they're being pushed towards students.

I'd be kinda funny if there were ONLY adults collecting these things. :ph34r: