MW 2002 Tokyo Gathering

Renato

I was looking for the "What do MWers look like?" thread, but I couldn't find it. Then I decided I was gonna put this in the Conventions and Gatherings forum, but I figured that's mostly for news of upcoming events, and this is more for nostalgic purposes, so here we go.

Well, I was clearing up some old files today and I found some old photographs. This is a really small scan, but anyway, it's the only photographic memento I have of Shawn and Graham actually being together in one place.

It's 2002 and it's dinner time, everyone's tired after Tokyo Toy Show weekend. I remember the 1/48 was unveiled and everyone was awed, whilst crying their eyes out with laughter over Rick the Hunter's (I think it was him) parody of the Robotech MPC ver.2, with the bent leg in fighter mode and a huge NO STEP on the wing. Also, this is the time when HG began to send out cease and desist letters to everyone they felt they could bully.

Anyway, I'm in there, too, so it's time to play "Guess the MWer!!"

(If anyone else, maybe even Shawn or Graham, have more pics from this time, we'd love to see 'em! I think there were a few in the main page too.)

post-1318-1243595028_thumb.jpg

Is that Noel (Blackaces) sitting across from Graham?

Yes it is.

Sitting on my right, is the infamous Seichi and next to him of course is Shawn.

Can't remember the name of the guy sitting next to Noel, but on the far left at the back, that should be Renato.

Graham

They say time flies.... and indeed so. I don't see Noel (Blackaces) posting here already nowadays... and Shawn seemed to hvae disappeared altogether... has he *gasp* finally grown out of Macross?

Edited by BlueMax

Wow...so Graham isn't the same person as Shawn, despite popular belief. :lol:

Good times.

I've seen and talked to Graham, he's real for sure...NEVER seen AKA "Shawn" online or offline, what is the dark mystery surrounding him? More veteran MW'ers please illuminate me!

I've seen and talked to Graham, he's real for sure...NEVER seen AKA "Shawn" online or offline, what is the dark mystery surrounding him? More veteran MW'ers please illuminate me!

The "dark mystery" surrounding Shawn is not the man himself but rather whatever causes the forum server to go down or the boards to go offline.

If something major and crazy on the technical side goes down with the MW boards, Shawn's the go-to guy that will get the board back up and running.

He doesn't post all that much nowadays. But you'll usually see him pop up the first few days after the server has been upgraded or after the boards come back online after being down for awhile.

While Graham gets us some news and info. from his Yamato contact(s) and the mods take care of the day-to-day running of the board, Shawn's the guy taking care of the more technical/server-related aspects of our little message board.

I'm sure the older posters here can give you a much better and more in-depth biography of the man than I can though.

From what I remember:

Shawn's the one who is maintaining the forums... not just technically, but also financially.... well, bandwidth costs money, and I'm sure that is what we had quite a bit of when Mac F was airing.

Other than that, he's also more into model kits instead of toys.