Macross Zero F14 Tomcat

destroid

Hi there all,

I am thinking of building a Macross Zero F14 Tomcat in 1:48 scale...

Was wondering if anyone out there has already done this and if there is anything special I need to know about the Macross Tomcat....

I will be using the Italeri 1:48 F14A Tomcat kit.... with home made decals.

Cheers,

There is no such thing as an F-14C. The M0 Tomcat was a mix of the A and D models. It has the chin pod of the D but the seats of the A. I believe it also has the B/D's engines. I don't recall if it had the ECM bumps under the wing gloves. David will be able to help you out, I'm sure he'll pop in here soon! :)

Chris

There is no such thing as an F-14C. The M0 Tomcat was a mix of the A and D models. It has the chin pod of the D but the seats of the A. I believe it also has the B/D's engines. I don't recall if it had the ECM bumps under the wing gloves. David will be able to help you out, I'm sure he'll pop in here soon! :)

Chris

F-14C exists, but was an extremely short run of planes that might as well've been Bs.

Though, you're correct with the rest of it.

The M0 Tommie was the D's airframe with an A-like cockpit, and I believe the removal of the wing gloves.

Note that the A and B both used the TF30 and the D had the working engines.

F-14C exists, but was an extremely short run of planes that might as well've been Bs.

Though, you're correct with the rest of it.

The M0 Tommie was the D's airframe with an A-like cockpit, and I believe the removal of the wing gloves.

Note that the A and B both used the TF30 and the D had the working engines.

Both the F-14B and F-14D had the GE F110 engines. There was no F-14C.

The F-14C never existed as anything other than an aircraft on paper, all of the improvements that were supposed to be in the F-14C were later incorporated into the F-14A+ (later renamed F-14B) and the F-14D, the only difference being that the F-14C would have had the GE F101DFE engines.

The Macross F-14 Kai, or whatever it's called, has the Chinpod of the F-14D, the seats and cockpit of an F-14A or early F-14B, the under wing glove bumbs or an F-14B and the GE F-110 engines of the F-14B and D.

If you want to build one in 1/48th your best bet would be to use the Hasegawa F-14D kit and change the cockpit to that stated earlier. The italeri kit isn't really that good, and you will need to source aftermarket parts for the engines, cockpit and chinpod, which when added up will proberbly end up as the same price as the Hasegawa kit.

If you do decide to start with the italeri kit as your base you will need to change the engine nozzels and their fairings to the F-110's (the F-14A had TF 30's which look very different to F-110's), change the TACAN antenna on the spine for a late model one, add a couple of bumps on each side under each wing glove, change the under nose pod to the dual kind used on the D (which is wider and very different to that used on mid to late F-14A's and B's) and finally change the cockpit to a decent representation of either a late A or early to mid B.

The F-14C never existed as anything other than an aircraft on paper, all of the improvements that were supposed to be in the F-14C were later incorporated into the F-14A+ (later renamed F-14B) and the F-14D, the only difference being that the F-14C would have had the GE F101DFE engines.

The Macross F-14 Kai, or whatever it's called, has the Chinpod of the F-14D, the seats and cockpit of an F-14A or early F-14B, the under wing glove bumbs or an F-14B and the GE F-110 engines of the F-14B and D.

If you want to build one in 1/48th your best bet would be to use the Hasegawa F-14D kit and change the cockpit to that stated earlier. The italeri kit isn't really that good, and you will need to source aftermarket parts for the engines, cockpit and chinpod, which when added up will proberbly end up as the same price as the Hasegawa kit.

If you do decide to start with the italeri kit as your base you will need to change the engine nozzels and their fairings to the F-110's (the F-14A had TF 30's which look very different to F-110's), change the TACAN antenna on the spine for a late model one, add a couple of bumps on each side under each wing glove, change the under nose pod to the dual kind used on the D (which is wider and very different to that used on mid to late F-14A's and B's) and finally change the cockpit to a decent representation of either a late A or early to mid B.

Ahh,

Exactly what I needed to hear....

Thanks very much for the advice.... I have a mate who is a tomcat nut - should be able to source some parts from him.

Cheers,

Actually...............

Can anyone help me out and post some nice pics of a macross F14 Tomcat....

Reference reference - you cant have enough reference....

Cheers,

Both the F-14B and F-14D had the GE F110 engines. There was no F-14C.

I'm not gonna go too hard in arguing this, but the F-14C did see a few test types. And the F-14A even saw F101 action.

I don't even know why we're going on about F-14Cs and the turbines. In a 1/48 kit, are you really gonna notice the turbines when the Nacelles are the same rough shape?

For that matter, it doesn't seem like they could've used F101s in the Mac0 F-14s, anyway.

The only Tommie I don't like: Shin's.

Please show me a picture of an F-14C? I can show you sites with pictures of every F-14 model including all the prototypes, but none of an F-14C, because it simply didn't exist as far as i know.

Outside, it's identical to the F-14B. Inside, it's mostly so. There are a few differences, which warrant its name.

I'm not even gonna keep bothering with this.

As a general note, apparently you shouldn't listen to anything I say. It's always wrong. <_<

:rolleyes:

In anycase didn't someone confirm the CG model was basically a rip of Hasagawa's 1/72 kit?

Edited by Noyhauser

add a couple of bumps on each side under each wing glove

Those bumps are only seen on the F-14B and late F-14A (they were a retrofit), and are the best way of seperating the F-14D from those models if you can't see the dual IRST/TCS chin pod. The F-14D incorporated those antenna flush into the airframe and they're simply missing on the earlier F-14A. I did a lot of research into the Tomcat when I was doing my F-14E/F/EF-14G VF-0/F-14 meld designs a couple years ago.

Also,

That Macross Tomcat carries AIM-120's instead of AIM-7's

As you can see in the above pictures, Shin's Tomcat has AIM-9 Sidewinders on the Wing glove sub-pylons and AIM-120 AMRAAM on the main ones and the four fuselage Sparrow hardpoints. The real Tomcat was never deployed with AIM-120 and carried AIM-7 Sparrows until its 2006 decommissioning.

Edited by Talos

Hi there all,

I am thinking of building a Macross Zero F14 Tomcat in 1:48 scale...

Was wondering if anyone out there has already done this and if there is anything special I need to know about the Macross Tomcat....

I will be using the Italeri 1:48 F14A Tomcat kit.... with home made decals.

Cheers,

Thanks for all the respose on this...

Ill keep you all posted on my progress. Have another project to finish before I start this..

But I have my way forward now,

Cheers,

Those bumps are only seen on the F-14B and late F-14A (they were a retrofit), and are the best way of seperating the F-14D from those models if you can't see the dual IRST/TCS chin pod. The F-14D incorporated those antenna flush into the airframe and they're simply missing on the earlier F-14A. I did a lot of research into the Tomcat when I was doing my F-14E/F/EF-14G VF-0/F-14 meld designs a couple years ago.

As you can see in the above pictures, Shin's Tomcat has AIM-9 Sidewinders on the Wing glove sub-pylons and AIM-120 AMRAAM on the main ones and the four fuselage Sparrow hardpoints. The real Tomcat was never deployed with AIM-120 and carried AIM-7 Sparrows until its 2006 decommissioning.

I would have thought Shin would have fired the AIM-120 before the AIM-9. Though I heard an F/A-18 pilot do something similar

Edited by Andrew

I always took it as Shin was being an uber-ace and fired the AIM-9 solely to distract the MiG-29 and make him evade and deploy flares, while Shin was preparing his "real" attack with the AIM-120----and the MiG-29 fell for it/flew right into it. Basically, Shin baited the MiG into position.

I always took it as Shin was being an uber-ace and fired the AIM-9 solely to distract the MiG-29 and make him evade and deploy flares, while Shin was preparing his "real" attack with the AIM-120----and the MiG-29 fell for it/flew right into it. Basically, Shin baited the MiG into position.

I took as if they don't have much confidence with 1 missile and want to fire both 'just in case'. I figured since the AIM-120 being such an uber-missile, it would have been easier for the missile to track than a plane moving around trying to dodge the AIM-9. But either way, it still looked pretty neat to see modern a/c in a dogfight.

I'm gonna go with this. :) I wonder if such a tactic has ever been tried in real life though.

I'm gonna go with this. :) I wonder if such a tactic has ever been tried in real life though.

Back in the Cold War days, the Soviet VVS would equip aircraft with a semi-active radar homing (SARH) and an imaging infrared (IIR) version of the same missile. The pilot would fire both, because it was thought that the western pilot would spoof one of them, but wouldn't counter the other. Also, during the Vietnam war, it was typical to launch two missiles in quick succession because of unreliability.

So pretty close! In real life, the AIM-9's performance envelope is a lot shorter then the AIM-120. It's supposed to engage targets inside the AIM-120's minimum range. The AIM-9 doesn't operate into the AIM-120's envelope. I don't have the numbers on me right now, since I just woke up, but I'll look for them later.

Ok - I may as well push my luck here....

Can anyone post a scan of the Hasegawa instructions? Specifically the painting instructions - but the whole thing would be better!

That should be enough to complete the references for a 1:48 build.

Cheers,

Ok - I may as well push my luck here....

Can anyone post a scan of the Hasegawa instructions? Specifically the painting instructions - but the whole thing would be better!

That should be enough to complete the references for a 1:48 build.

Cheers,

Something like this? http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/models...f14/hasef14.htm

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/models...F14_Dec_Ins.jpg

Aahh!

There it was right under my nose all the time!!

Thanks for posting that link.

Cheers,

Glad I could help! I used those to draw the F-14 tail insignia to use for my VF-4 profile drawings. (I did a squadron marked as SVF-225)