Yoko Kanno Concert (with Mac F)

Tochiro

Famitsu online just revealed that there is a new Youko Kanno best of album (3 discs) coming out, including music from Mac F, Mac Plus, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, etc.

Moreover, there will be a concert held at Saitama Super Arena on July 7, featuring not only May'N and Megumi, but also Maaya Sakamoto and even Origa from the Stand Alone Complex openings.

Talk about a dream concert! Unfortunately, tickets will be drawn in lots. These things are going to go for a small fortune on auction...

http://www.famitsu.com/anime/news/1223556_1558.html

Mai Yamane who sang the ending theme of Bebop, and Scott Matthew who sang a few songs in GITS:SAC are also going. I was wishing they had AKINO (the one who sang the OP to Aquarion) in the set list, and I'm still hoping. I won't be able to go, but they should make a DVD of this.

IMO, the best thing about it is that they're importing the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra!!!

Mai Yamane? Does that mean there might be a live "After in the Dark?" if do please GOD let there be a live DVD. Kanno also did the opening to Lodoss TV right? Kanashii no Umi or something like that? Who was the singer?

Kiseki no Umi, sung by Maaya Sakamoto, lyrics by Yuho Iwasato, and yes, composed by Yoko Kanno :)

Looking through my Hotchpotch album, seems like they do everything together. Hell, didn't know Yoko Kanno also composed "Platinum" from Cardcaptor Sakura...

I want to see this concert... but alas, it's so far away... be awesome if they recorded it for dvd release.

Edited by shiroikaze

Please....for the love of God.....release this on DVD!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate hearing about these awesome concerts and not being able to go, let alone see them on dvd :(

I will start a rally if they don't. Heck they're currently selling an expensive cellphone accessory with Kanno's voice in it, and they won't sell out by making a DVD? I doubt it!

I will start a rally if they don't. Heck they're currently selling an expensive cellphone accessory with Kanno's voice in it, and they won't sell out by making a DVD? I doubt it!

Speaking of which; any news about the Frontier concerts on DVD? It's been so long now that I really beginning to believe that it's not going to happen anymore.

Not too far fetched when you consider the Nanoha concert DVD came out within 6 months of the concert. It's now way pass that for Frontier. Not a fan of Nanoha btw, just using it as an example. And Nanoha isn't even as popular as Frontier.

I also echo the belief that they'd be stupid not to release the DVD of the concert, there definately money to be made there for them and the demand for it it there as well.

Speaking of which; any news about the Frontier concerts on DVD? It's been so long now that I really beginning to believe that it's not going to happen anymore.

Were there any Macross concert DVDs ever (sorry, don't know)? I haven't heard of any news if the Macross F concerts are to be published, but then again, the show isn't done yet, so we could keep our hopes up. There's new music for the movie, and if they decide to hold a concert after the movie and release it as a DVD, it would be better as that would encompass all songs for the show.

But I have higher hopes of the Kanno concert to be released because I know at least her Bebop and Turn-A Gundam concerts have been released in DVDs.

Then there is hope! :D

I wouldn't hold my breath, really...

Look at May'n. Her concerts were in...what, January? And the DVD came out this month. Megumi's similarly-timed concert has a DVD coming out soon, as well.

Now maybe if those sell REALLY well, we'll get the Macross F concerts.

I wouldn't hold my breath, really...

Look at May'n. Her concerts were in...what, January? And the DVD came out this month. Megumi's similarly-timed concert has a DVD coming out soon, as well.

Now maybe if those sell REALLY well, we'll get the Macross F concerts.

Oh, I meant, if there is going to be a concert after the movie, after we've heard all songs from the series, then I think there's hope that it would have a DVD release :p

• 2 weeks later...

Mike - I am hoping to go. Am applying for the draw when it opens this weekend. If that fails, Ill try for one of the leftovers that is actually sold regularly. If that fails, I suppose Ill just have to pay Yahoo auction prices. In other words, Im determined to get in somehow.

And while theres never been a DVD of any Macross live event released anyway as far as I know, this concert would surely be even less likely to get a release due to there being various animation companies (and therefore rights holders) involved.

I dunno, in a way, concerts and magazines/books are the only two things left that cant be easily bootlegged and downloaded these days. Keeping the concert off DVD makes it all the more special imo. Yes, selfish, I know, but hey I have to justify STILL being in Japan somehow! hehehe.

I hope you can go, so that you can tell us about it! :)

And while theres never been a DVD of any Macross live event released anyway as far as I know, this concert would surely be even less likely to get a release due to there being various animation companies (and therefore rights holders) involved.

Maaya Sakamoto is about to release a live DVD with song themes from various animations this month. Kanno herself is going to release an anime compilation CD. Maaya's and Kanno's anime music are both under Victor Entertainment, and rights isn't really much of a problem if it's under one record label. I would be really disappointed if they don't release a DVD for this, as they did for Maaya.

By the way, PV:

http://www.pia.co.jp/plus/asx/kannoyoko090501.asx

I hope you can go, so that you can tell us about it! :)

Maaya Sakamoto is about to release a live DVD with song themes from various animations this month. Kanno herself is going to release an anime compilation CD. Maaya's and Kanno's anime music are both under Victor Entertainment, and rights isn't really much of a problem if it's under one record label. I would be really disappointed if they don't release a DVD for this, as they did for Maaya.

By the way, PV:

http://www.pia.co.jp/plus/asx/kannoyoko090501.asx

That was an awesome little video! Must have watched it a dozen times yesterday!

Have entered the draw and now just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best!

The thing with anime music artists is that most are licensed to a single label. This is why Megumi Hayashibara and Masami Okui get away with doing best of collections. However its pretty rare, from my experience at least, to find a DVD that includes intellectual properties from several different studios. Such concerts DO occassionally happen, but the royalties and distribution rights tend to tie the DVDs up in a legal quagmire. Even at the concerts themselves, footage can be a problem. When there was an orchesteral anime concert held in Nagano a couple of years back, the werent allowed to show actual footage from more than half of the anime theme songs they were playing!

• 2 weeks later...
I too entered the draw... let the prayers begin

TICKETS GET!!

Im in! Out of 6 friends, ONE actually got tickets. Its a good thing you could apply for a set of 3 or 4!

Anyone else have any luck?

Am totally pumped! Time to start practicing some SMS chants!

I got them too. I applied for 2. Anyone wants to go?

You have no idea how much I'm contemplating joining you, but I already have a trip that coincides with the date ;__; Tochiro, josue, tell us about it when you guys get back from the concert okay :)

I got them too. I applied for 2. Anyone wants to go?

Mate, you have some extreme luck! Out of everyone I know who applied, you and my friend are the only ones who made it in with the first round. This is one seriously hard concert to get in to.

People are already auctioning tickets, damn them. I bet we will see some crazy prices by the end of the month

http://search.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/sear...=0jp&acc=jp

• 2 weeks later...
Like I said - give it until the end of June. If its anything like the Mac F concerts, people will be asking foe 30 000 to 40 000 yen a ticket :blink:

I saw the Yahoo auction page today. 55000 yen for a ticket!

So who is on for a little reunion after the concert? How could we do this?

Ok. Lets make a list of all people that are going to the concert. We can meet before going in to decide where are we going afterwards. Saitama shintoshin, where the Saitama Super Arena is, it's not a big place so we might move to Shinjuku, Ikebukuro or Ueno to search for a place to eat, drink, karaoke, etc.

So people speak up! :lol: