What Would Have To Happen...

VFTF1

I would lose interest if...

1. They start using more melee weapons than actual guns ala Gundam. Anti-Armor knife/bayonet, Macross Frontier, Macross Plus, Macross 7

2. The mecha in this become so resilient to damage that they can take direct hits and not suffer crippling damage ala Gundam. VF-25 Messiah, Macross Frontier

3. If piloting skill and excellence takes a backseat to the technology of the mecha they're piloting or pilots are able to bring out inherently suppressed super abilities that seem to defy all odds but only emerge when the pilot is under a stressful situation. What a load of bull.Alto Saotome, Macross Frontier

4. If the love triangles and singing get worse than what it already is and have a larger role than piloting itself. Mac Frontier was already pushing the boundaries in terms of this.Macross Zero

That's my take.

I will always have an interest in Macross. I often find myself re-watching parts of the original SDF, DYRL, PLUS, and Frontier. Occasionally I do watch Zero, Two, and Seven though. If god forbid a new Macross series was "Robotech 3000" bad I might watch it once for the lols and appreciate the classic Macross all the more. So I say rather then lose interest in Macross fans would simply turn back to the classics even more.

uh.. Schizo, just because there were melee weapons in some of those series, they were hardly prominent weapons. Mac Frontier was getting closer though, but still a ways off from having a laser-space-sickle.

As for the VF-25F... Are you kidding? It gets trashed every second episode. Alto just some how doesn't die.. WHICH HE SHOULD. Ozma took a severe hit too, but he did preemptively use his point defense barrier to block most of it. He still got messed up pretty badly though. Kudos for actually taking visible damage. That was one of my few favorite parts of Frontier.

As for 3.... yea, Mac Frontier screwed up there. I agree. Mac 7 did the same too.

Also agreed on 4.

Edited by Cent

macross 7 nearly did it back then, but these days it feels like it just keeps getting stronger,i dont think anything will ever release me from my macross fandom, unless misa turned into a guy then i would cry and boycott,but that will never happen :lol:

I thought Frontier was a step forward again as far as the equipment not taking the focus. Yes, the VF-25 is the new and superior model, but there were good pilots and nameless cannon fodder pilots flying it, and further the "special" versions of it weren't overall superior but rather special purpose and not even piloted by the best of the best. After the "ace hero pilots all get super advanced special forces VFs and advanced prototypes and custom models" of Plus and 7(much as I love Plus on its own merits), it was a welcome step back to the original even if the heroes were part of a special organization with better VFs than the rest.

If I ever see another clone rather a new character in a new series, or a rehashed scene. I think I will be so disapointed I would be forever stuck with the originals SDFM and DYRL and would never watch another macross series again.

I mean, Frontier went a little too much with the clones (Writhai, Exsedol, Kamjin, Misa, etc,etc) and rehashed scenes (like saving ranka from a valkyre or the pineapple salada v2 scene ).

Edited by dakedo

They did most of that intentionally as a homage. In fact, MacF paid tribute to M7, M0, DYRL... damn.

Dude, **I know** they were homages and still didnt like the idea, it was just plain silly, if other people think it was clever and cool to have another Misa, Writhai and Exsedol. so be it, I think otherwise.

Macross would have to get really bad for me to lose interest in the shows I love from it. I thought Macross II was mediocre, but it got nudged over to non-canon status to make way for Plus, which was awesome. I think 7 could have been a lot better, but I enjoyed it. Enjoyed Dynamite 7 a lot more. I though Zero was pretty good, if rushed in places. I loved Frontier, though I would have enjoyed it even more without the overuse of anime stereotypes.

I think I will always be a fan of the parts of Macross I have always liked which is everything but M7. Macross7 made me loose interest although I still liked the mecha from 7. I wouldn't write off Macross entirely just because I don't like one particular series.

• 2 weeks later...
unless misa turned into a guy then i would cry and boycott,but that will never happen

I take it this would be a bad time to break out the spoiler screen-cap from the "Director's Cut" version of SDFM TV that is coming on DVD this June?

azchz.jpg

Somebody on another forum did a translation of some of Kawamori's Director's Commentary to this scene - which got cut along with several others which have now been restored:

"It has been said that I envisioned the bridge to be all woman. But no. I wanted the bridge to be all transexuals. Bridge Bunnies and Misa are men who dress like women. In climactic scene, Misa reveals to Hikaru that she is really Suzuki. But, studio said no. Now - when people are more open minded, the scenes can be restored to SDFM and the series can be shown as it was envisioned. Sadly, when DYRL was made, this idea of transgender Misa was not permitted because of success of real-female Misa. This is why I always repeat that story line of SDFM TV is true story... DYRL is just a documentary..."

Pete