The Mysterious Cities of Gold

For those of us who are fans of this obscure anime title from the 80's, word is that the series is to be released on April 7 of this year. I'm pretty excited about this, as I have not seen this show since it aired on Nickelodeon in the late 80's. And being a fan of old school anime, this will be a real treat.

For those of us who are fans of this obscure anime title from the 80's, word is that the series is to be released on April 7 of this year. I'm pretty excited about this, as I have not seen this show since it aired on Nickelodeon in the late 80's. And being a fan of old school anime, this will be a real treat.

I take it you mean that it will be released in the US on that date. It came out in the UK last year.

img_1368.jpg

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=66689

It was a strange show. Very kiddy-like until the last few episodes in which most of the cast was brutally wiped out.

Taksraven

ARRAHH! Thanks Noriko! I think i remember this one! In the other thread (what anime you first watched yadda) i couldn't remember

the name of this series, it was pretty cool to me as a kid back then. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysterious_Cities_of_Gold

Like most anime/cartoons back when i was a kid i never finished watching the whole series, very sparotically.

Didn't they have a flying concor that was sun powered?

This and Danger Mouse "Penfollllllld!!!", Inspector Gadget "I'll get you next time Gadget! Nexxxtt timmeee! HUhuhahahahah MEEOOWWARRRCHHHK!" and the Goodies.

GOODIES!

Goody GOODY YUMM YU UMMMMMM.

Ohh sad....

And don't forget Duckula!

g/g ABC

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

This and Danger Mouse "Penfollllllld!!!", Inspector Gadget "I'll get you next time Gadget! Nexxxtt timmeee! HUhuhahahahah MEEOOWWARRRCHHHK!" and the Goodies.

GOODIES!

Goody GOODY YUMM YU UMMMMMM.

Ohh sad....

And don't forget Duckula!

g/g ABC

Dont forget Doctor Who, Battle of the Planets (which was originally on channel 10 before being shown by the ABC, weird), and STAR BLAZERS.

I think that I heard back during the 1990's that some parents group organised to hassle Australian television networks about violent cartoons being broadcast in early morning childrens timeslots. As a result Robotech was not shown again and I think that the ABC is supposed to have promised that it would never show "violent" cartoons such as BOTP and Star Blazers again. Need confirmation of this tho....

Taksraven

Obscure? I beg to differ! This was one of the highlights of my viewing as a kid growing up in Australia, my friends and I loved this show and had no idea it was available on DVD.

"DVD GET!"

Obscure, as in here in the US. Thing was, if you wanted to watch this show, you had to look for crappy VHS rips where the quality was horrible.

While I never watched it, I remember it being all the time on Nickalodeon, along with the Star Trek animated series. In that sense, durring broadcast it wasn't obscure. After it went off the air, it was obviously quite difficult to find.

Edited by Keith

Wasn't there a line of models based on the Cities of Gold? I'm sure that there was a model of the golden Condor available sometime in the late 80s.

I was always a fan of this show. Great opening title music.

Yep!!

There was a line of models available near 2000-2001...

This is a link of these models (condor, Solaris...)

model line goodies condor and others

Eb*y: http://cgi.ebay.fr/%3DLes-Cit%E9s-d'Or...217127001r27931

Hmm, and where's the U.S. release of Ulysses 31!

I've seen french release dvd of Ulysses 31...it's beautiful...

link for commentary of these dvds:

http://www.dvdanime.net/critiqueview.php?id_critique=1653

http://www.dvdanime.net/critiqueview.php?id_critique=1553

That's all.

akim.

Edited by akim

I loved all the old DIC shows from the 80s.

Looking at the pics on the website, that French release of Ulysses seems spectacular. It looks so clear! I was in Europe a few months ago and I did actually think of buying it.

Ulysses 31 has also been released in Australia in a similar set by madman ent, which unfortunately is still PAL, but R4 instead of R2, not that it makes a ton of difference.

Mysterious Cities of Gold ties with Ulysses 31 for worst cartoon theme ever. (Ok, Ulysses opening theme was not THAT bad, but the inclusion of the No No solo, *aarrghhh*, actually there is an extended version of the theme out there with THREE No No solo's *KILL ME NOW!!!!!*)

Taksraven

Are you talking about the Saban/Levy theme or the Japanese theme? They are totally different.

For the Mysterious Cities of Gold, never heard a Japanese version of it. Would like to hear it though. I was talking about the english language version.

Taksraven