• DigiQ-R (Konami/Takara)
    • XMODS (RadioShack)
    • ZipZaps (RadioShack)
    • Q-Steer (Takara Tomy)
    • CAUL (Takara Tomy)
    • X-Trek (Silverlit)

(Edited for grammatical content)

Any 15-minute one is better.

Yeah, but which ones come with AAA batteries? As Greyryder said, the one by Energizer doesn't come with AAAs.

And as far as charging time goes, as long as it's under two hours and the charger comes with more than four AAAs, I'm happy.

Any 15-minute one is better.

Yeah, but which ones come with AAA batteries? As Greyryder said, the one by Energizer does not come with AAAs.

In addition, as far as charging time goes, as long as it is less than two hours and the charger come with more than four AAAs, I am happy.

any shack ones work descently. they have ones that fit both AAA and AA. for my overland its a godsend since the ol takes AAA and my controller takes AA.

Btw. I perfer to keep my sentences free from the restrictions of creativity called Grammar. your lucky im using periods since i belived they are out of date with todays thinking

Those all look like good deals to me, but note that none of them are 15-minute chargers--all take at least an hour to fully charge a battery. But since they give you so many batteries, you really wouldn't have an excuse not to always have a fully-charged battery on hand. Just be sure they're NiMH (was hard to tell in a couple of the ads) since they last longer and, if you care about the environment, NiMH don't have mercury in them so they're easier to dispose of.

i don't think your looking in the right place, radio shack calls them ic3 think the rayovac ones are called the same thing too and they do charge the batteries fully in 15min most of the time, once in awhile it takes longer on a single battery for some reason. The bad things about the 15min batts and chargers is they are loud when they are charging with the cooling fan they have and the batteries when just charged are hotter than the nomal ones but not too hot to burn you.

http://www.xmodworld.com/ is a couple dollars cheaper and it has gpm parts which is a ok factory that produces metal parts. its not anodized like the one in atomic mods but you realy never notice when the body is on. Also eventualy gpm will anodized parts for xmods soon, on mini-z they usualy have them in black, blue, and red. gpm will also sometimes push out titanium products like the tit ball diff drive shaft and the main gear. if you see one for your xmods I suggest you pick it up quickly since they dissapear real quick then the ebayers start to charge too much for them.

• 2 months later...

Working at RadioShack does have its privileges. Employees get 10% off name-brand merchandise (i.e. Sony, RCA, Samsung, etc.) and 30% off any RadioShack product - including XMODS. Even more if it happens to be a former store demo unit.

Early this week, my boss decided we shouldn't have any XMODS demos in the store - and we had every one of them on display except the '65 Mustang. Shortly after the demos were repacked and stored away, I decided to buy the red Supra. It was all scratched-up and the chassis was dirty, but it didn't matter. For $25, it's a steal. Besides, I recently bought the silver Supra body kit and I had some fresh leftover parts from my Skyline.

After a few hours of cleaning and modifying, my Supra drift machine was completed. Here are the specs:

1997 Toyota Supra Turbo

- Stage 2 Drift Motor (30,000 rpm)

- Metal Bearing Upgrade

- BOMEX Body Kit

- Chassis Upgrade (Clear Chassis + Carbon Fiber Upper Decks)

- Suspension Upgrade (Soft front & Hard rear)

- Tire Upgrade (lubricated Hard Slicks + Brake Discs & Calipers)

- Wheel Upgrade (Enkei)

- Command Logic Lights

- Command Logic Ground Effects Upgrade

And here are the updated specs of my Skyline:

1999 Nissan Skyline GT-R R34

- Stage 2 Drag Motor (30,000 rpm)

- Metal Bearing Upgrade

- AWD Upgrade

- Billet Aluminum Wheel Knuckles (courtesy of AtomicMods.com)

- Billet Aluminum Tie Rod (courtesy of AtomicMods.com)

- BOMEX Body Kit

- Suspension Upgrade (Soft front & Hard rear)

- Tire Upgrade (Soft Slicks)

- Wheel Upgrade (ACE)

- Command Logic Lights

Edited by areaseven

How hard would it be to strip the paint off one of these Xmods? I want to repaint my yellow skyline with something a little better.

Depends on which model. Some are molded in that one color and sprayed with clearcoat (i.e. red Supra, black Skyline). Others are molded in white and sprayed with the specific colors (i.e. silver Supra, burnt orange 350Z). IIRC, the yellow Skyline is a white body underneath. Try using paint thinner (or brake fluid, as some MWers would recommend) to strip the yellow.

I have three:

http://www.ic.ucsb.edu/~gundam/Xmods.jpg

http://www.ic.ucsb.edu/~gundam/Xmods2.jpg

http://www.ic.ucsb.edu/~gundam/Xmods3.jpg

Doesn't look like much, but there's not much I want to do to the appearance of these cars. I'm waiting for some funds so I can by JGTC bodies for these babies. Endless Z, Esso Ultraflo Supra, Arta NSX... Oh man, I can't wait.

And they've seen a fair bit of action.

Upgrades: All three have metal bearings. The two Skylines have six cell mod, but the extra weight makes the upgrade seem pointless. I'm looking to get Li-ion upgrades, and stack the FET's to prepare for some of those extra hot motors. What I need in the immediate future are metal parts for the steering knuckles and tie rod. The other metal parts seem pretty pointless as well.

I had good luck taking the paint off my yellow Skyline with Rubbing alcohol, but I was also trying to take off a coat of Fusion that was refusing to dry. Don't know if the Fusion had anything to do with it, or not.

I've got a blue Skyline, with white rally stripes on the hood, and nose. No other exterior mods. Never did get around to buying bearings for it. It's got suspension (yellow front, blue rear) and four wheeldrive. I also did a DIY tight turns mod, with a couple of resistors, and some wire.

I hate you ;)

Now that I've discovered these XMod thingys I want the '65 Mustang w/ the light kit and maybe a few other upgrades!

UPDATE: Well, I picked up the '65 Mustang, light kit and suspension kit. This thing is really fun even though I'm a crappy driver. I'm still experimenting with the suspension parts to find the combo that gives the best handling.

Edited by Matt Random

I perfer mini-z overlands after being burned with the xmod's radio shack quality of products but seems they getting bit better now.

Didn't think you can put a fet stack on the pc board since theres so little room plus the original fets are directly making contact with the metal plate on the bottom. Im guessing a 2x2?

• 1 month later...
UPDATE: Well, I picked up the '65 Mustang, light kit and suspension kit. This thing is really fun even though I'm a crappy driver. I'm still experimenting with the suspension parts to find the combo that gives the best handling.

For my Skyline and Supra, I use soft springs on the front and hard springs on the rear. This setup provides oversteer while keeping the rear end stable. My RSX uses medium springs all around.

Speaking of RSX, I forgot to mention that I bought one from my store for $7. Believe it or not, the upgrade parts (except the lights) cost more than the starter kit itself. Because the RSX is a FWD car, I installed the AWD upgrade and removed the rear differential. As a result, it understeers a lot; but that's what I need in the car in contrast to my Supra, which is set up as a drift car.

rsx01.jpg

rsx03.jpg

rsx04.jpg

Pics taken with a Samsung Digimax A6

(When replying to this quote, remove all IMG tags before posting.)

Edited by areaseven

Sorry if this has been posted before. There's a HLJ sale and some Bit Char-Gs are going for 70% off, for a low low price of 780 yen! I grabbed the Skyline and RX-7.

http://www.hlj.com/product/TOM64193

http://www.hlj.com/product/TOM62959

http://www.hlj.com/product/TOM62852

http://www.hlj.com/product/TOM58408

XMODS really left me feeling flat. They just handle like crap, and too slow.

I think I'll pick up a Mini-Z at some point.

yep I realy like my overland. its nice to use a real controller, better than the folding boomerang xmod controller.

also the palm runner for the budget RCers or for getting cheap bodies (controller also funky like the xmods).

are there any decent muscle car bodies?  I'd love a black charger or a big ugly super bird.

Well you proly be lucky to find a ready to run kit with a muscle body with it now (try ebay) but I would get like the Chrysler 300C and then get the autoscale body for it or you a good painter get the white unpainted ones that are about 10 bucks less.

the MR-015 Chrysler 300C

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/product_info...oducts_id=11146

autoscale bodies

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/product_info...roducts_id=9686

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/product_info...oducts_id=12399

mr02 body (will need to convert some parts to fit)

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/product_info...oducts_id=13845

Edited by Zentrandude

• 3 months later...

Axelay's gonna love this - the XMODS Evolution Mustang GT (Catalog #60-8018; $59.99) is now available at your local RadioShack.

mustang01.jpg

mustang04.jpg

mustang02.jpg

Although the packaging labels it as a 2006 model, the markings on the product itself say 2005, not to mention that it's molded in Sonic Blue, not Vista Blue. How do I know? Just shine it against a light and you'll see the purplish tint Sonic Blue is known for.

mustang03.jpg

mustang05.jpg

The Body Kit (Catalog # 60-8559; $12.99) is also available, featuring two different sets from Classic Design Concepts and H&R, plus a Sparco steering wheel.

mustang06.jpg

Chrome "Optional" wheels (64F) wrapped in low-profile slicks.

mustang07.jpg

mustang08.jpg

mustang09.jpg

mustang10.jpg

Overall, despite the awkward wheel proportions, I'm very impressed with the design of this R/C. The second-generation chassis looks much more durable than its predecessor.

I haven't run it yet, as I'm in the process of adding metal bearings to the chassis. A road test will be available tomorrow.

Strange that xmod starting to copy some mini-z style components the motor thats sideways. I always felt it was too open since im cleaning the dirty off it all the time.

You can go for the xmod truck too.

Xmod world link

Form me Im still waiting for a 4x4 mini-z overland upgrade, took them a long time to make a 4x4 mini-z racer so im thinking a few more years.

HOLY CRAP...!!! That is awesome! Man, I already have ALL of the different ZipZaps Mustangs in every color, and now this. Thanks for pointing this out - it's a must-buy for me. :D

EDIT - Hmmm, I don't suppose it comes with the Bullitt wheels? I can't really find a lot of information on this, even on Radio Shack's site. On the other hand, though, I did see on their site that there's a sale on the ZipZaps Ford GT, and that's just too good to pass up on another of my favorite cars.

I'm not that familiar with the XMODS sets, but I certainly am going to look into them now! I oughta get a blue one and have someone paint white stripes on it just so that I can say I have my very own RC car of my real car. Never done that before. LOL.

Oh yeah, I also just saw some BEASTLY XMODS 60's Mustangs on eBay. Man, you have totally given me something exciting to go shopping for now. :lol:

Edited by Axelay