Thinking about buying my first Valk...

Bowen

Originally posted in the Newbie ANSWERS thread, but I figured it's worthy of it's own topic...

Hey guys, lately I've been thinking about buying my first 1/60 Valk (knowing myself more will probably follow ).

However, since every now and then I read about quality issues, breaking soldiers, parts not properly clicking into place and whatnot I was wondering, what are the best 1/60 Valk toys out there quality-wise, and which ones do I absolutely need to avoid? Ofcourse being faithful to the anime/line-art is also important to me.

Many thanks to anyone who's willing to provide some answers

~Bowen

The VF-0 series (0A and 0S) should be avoided unless it is the VF-0S w/ghost booster combo. The VF-0A Shin w/ghost booster is supposedly hit and miss, some have fixes some don't. The VF-0 is a beautiful valkyrie, and was one of my favorite Yamato releases, up until my VF-0A's shoulders crumbled. And I refuse to spend money on replacement arms.

The YF-19 on it's own, has an issue of crooked gunpod storing under fighter mode, and the rear landing gear doesn't cant outwards. The YF-19 w/Fast Packs and Fold Booster has these fixed. I don't know if any newer runs of the stand-alone YF-19 have these fixes or not. I love my YF-19. Just take care in transforming the neck portion. The first transformation is scary, but once you get the hang of it it's a breeze. It helps to watch some of the transformation guides on youtube.

The SV-51 Ivanov I believe had some issues of reversed wing joints, which was fixed on the Nora and Cannon-Fodder versions. Other than that, the SV-51 seems to be good in the qualitcontrol department.

The YF-21 has had glowing reviews, and I haven't read about any catastrophic problems.

It's still to early to tell on the 1/60 VF-1 series. Things are looking good. In the thread on whether the VF-1s are good or have breakages, we've had only one person step forward to describe the problems. Other people have voted, yet didn't detail what the problems were, leading some people to believe that those votes were BS.

A 1/60 scale VF-11 Thunderbolt is in the works, though we have no pictures or details yet.

Thanks for that, Sumdumgai :)

So, from the looks of it, my options for a quality 1/60 Valk include the VF-1S with Ghost, the YF-19 with Fast Packs and Fold Booster, the SV-51 Nora and SV-51 CF, the YF-21 and possibly the VF-1 v.2.

To be honest, the SV-51 never really did anything for me, so I guess that's out (besides, the only color scheme I really liked was the Ivanov one :p).

As for the YF-21, I saw the pics on these boards and I can't deny that it's a great toy alltogether and I absolutely love the fighter mode, but GERWALK and Battroid modes just don't work for me, so this one's out as well, seeing as if I'm gonna spend a pretty large sum of money on a toy I want to like it in all of it's modes.

The VF-1 v.2 seems to be okay so far but between it and the VF-0 I actually prefer the looks of the VF-0, so I think it'll be the VF-0s with Ghost or the YF-19 (which I absolutely adore) with Fast Packs and Fold booster.

Any thoughts on the matter, great 1/60 Valks not mentioned in this post or other QC issues that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance,

Bowen

As a first valk, I'd prefer the new 1/60 VF-1 since it's the most famous valk. The only reason why I bought the YF-21 first is because the 1/60 ver 2 wasn't out yet and then a local hobby shop had a sale and I couldn't resist the pride it had for the YF-21 (I wanted the YF-19 but they quickly ran out of stock). But no regrets, though, as the YF-21 is absolutely excellent and is chock-full of extras compared to the YF-19. I actually felt that I got more than what I paid for.

But between YF-21 and VF-1 version 2, I pick the latter :) I love the new 1/60 so much I bought two already :D

I was trying to decide what to buy as my first valk too. I like the look of the vf-0s but I dont like how its just one color except for one small stripe. I originally wanted a v2 vf-1S hikaru, but looking at the upcoming releases it doesn't look like its gonna be soon so I settled on this.

I would also vote for the ver.2 VF-1S. It comes in a compact package that even includes the fastpacks. So for its cost, you get a Valk and add-ons!

The YF-21 isn't really that recommended as a beginner's Valk due to it's rather very very involved transformation scheme! Go grab it after your 2nd or 3rd Valk.

The VF-0S with Ghost is a good one as well but it won't be as perfect as the ver.2 VF-1S (or YF-21). It's great to hold a VF-0S and compare it with the ver.2 VF-1S and really get a feel of the design evolution of the toy!

Nope your pretty much safe there with both of those. They are both re-issues and come with fixes. (VF-0S+Ghost has the all important good shoulders/non floppiness and the 19 is updated with straight gunpod when stowed in fighter mode, and the rear landing gear pans our properly)

Guys, aside from the scale, is the 1/60 VF1 really better than the 1/48 VF1? I want to get a 1/48 for its size... but looking into the future, I think the 1/60 is a wiser choice down the road cuz of the other valkyrie models' scale. Anyway, please let me know. ^_^

Guys, aside from the scale, is the 1/60 VF1 really better than the 1/48 VF1? I want to get a 1/48 for its size... but looking into the future, I think the 1/60 is a wiser choice down the road cuz of the other valkyrie models' scale. Anyway, please let me know. ^_^

It really depends. Many still swear by the 1/48's but having never owned one, I really wouldn't know. From what I've read, though, the new 1/60 is more proportionally balanced in all modes. If you're a fan of fighter modes, though, the 1/48 is still tops with a lot of fighter-mode details than the 1/60's. But it's not to say that the 1/60 isn't good in fighter mode. That's not the case at all. It's reversed in battroid mode as the 1/60 incorporates numerous improvements.

If you'll be collecting Macross, I'd advise that you go for the 1/60 as honestly being in scale plays a big role. Even Bandai's upcoming Macross Frontier figures will be in that scale. If you want to have at least one 1/48 in your collection (which I'm sure you'd definitely want along the way), go for the non-canon valks (like the Low Vis versions, 1J Stealth, or the 1S 25th Anniv paired with the Stealth FP if possible). That way, the misproportioned scale won't go against your main collection as these are special edition ones :)

Comparing the new 1/60 to the 1/48, I personally prefer the 1/48 VF1. They are both evenly matched on the fighter and gerwalk modes, so the battroid mode becomes the tie-breaker for me. If you prize scale as much as beauty, get the new 1/60. You'll also benefit from its newer, sharper look. Get a valk from the 1/48 scale just to satisfy your curiosity.

1/48 fighter mode is more sexier imo. Longer nose, pilot is not so far up front of the cockpit. You get the added extra's of moveable wing flaps, air brake...

get atleast one. Too bad the angel bird 1/48's are not on sale anymore, that would have been perfect for you.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Before transforming the 1/60 YF-19 watch a few transformation walkthroughs on youtube, in particular pay attention to how to "break the neck" of it to transform it into battroid. It's a scary process the first few times through. After you understand what movements and how far to move parts, it gets easy.

Addition: Glad to be of help Bowen. :) With the amount of money involved in getting these toys, getting as much info as possible to make a decision is always a good thing.

Edited by Sumdumgai

I only have 1/48s and I can't imagine going to the 1/60 because I like the size of the 1/48s. I only collect VF-1 fighters though so scale is not an issue for me. I got introduced to these figs via Transformers Jetfire. I was browsing the Transformers listings on Ebay and seen a "Masterpiece Jetfire". It was a VF=1S Hikaru and I had to have one. I now have VF-1J Stealth, VF=1J Max, VF-1J Miria, VF-1J Hikaru, VF-1S 25th and VF-1S as Jetfire. I am working on getting VF-1S Roy and then I think I will be done. If I could only have one it would be the VF-1S as Jetfire. If I would recommend one it would be the VF-1J Stealth. The 1/48s are a true Masterpiece.

I would personally suggest going 1/60 -- I think it's a good scale in the long run. I mean should you continue on with Valks from the other series, then Macross Zero is in 1/60, Macross Plus is alson in 1/60 and eventually Macross Frontier is rumored to be 1/60.

the thing is, do you want your vf-1 to be same size as your yf-19??? If yes, like me, then get 1/48th. If you want to scale in terms of real size, then going 1/60th would be it. Of course, another way would be to get only vf-1 1/60th, and forget about 1/60 yf-19 and vf-0, and buy a masterpiece starscream, and Master grade gundams, and they will all be similar sizes!!!!

I have most of the 1/48 scale VF-1s (except for the Angelbird, Low Viz. v.1, weathered Roy) and I just love 'em. They look best in fighter mode and you just can't go wrong with their scale and detail. I guess it all depends on what you intend to do with your new valk. If you just want to display it, then the 1/48s are perfect as they're beautiful to look at once you add all the decals and accessories. But if you want to play with it then that's another story. They're notorious for shedding their accessories if you try to barrel-roll or transform them. On the other hand, the new 1/60 v.2, as represented by Roy's Skull 001 that was recently released, is much tighter and the accessories (missiles, pods and FAST packs) are designed to stay put regardless of how many barrel-rolls and Immelmanns' you perform with it. And most of the important markings are already printed on. Plus, if you intend to collect as many valks as you can and if space is an issue, you can't go wrong with the size of the 1/60s. Like I said, it just depends on what you have in mind.

For it's size, you will most likely have to use EMS for shipping, which is the most expensive, whilst being the safest, and fastest way. You should spend

the extra dosh fo something so important tho. Try Kevin at http://www.valkyrie-exchange.com/ , i got my 2 off him, but he probably is out of stock, E-mail him.

but give him a try first anyways coz he is the best of the best. Also www.hlj.com type in macross in quick search and it brings up the full list of in-stock

and out of stock macross stuff. Their price is reasonable for international dealings.

Happy hunting mate!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie