Macross Frontier Girls Part 3

Vinnie

This is a poll up to episode 15, will post again in another 5 episodes.  

108 members have voted

1. 1. This Frontier Girl is my favorite so far....

• Sheryl Nome
    • Klan Klan
    • Ranka Lee
    • Nanase Matsuura
    • Cathy Glass
    • Nene Rora
    • Raramia Rerenia
    • Monica Lange
    • Mina Roshan
    • Grace O'Connor
    • Kanaria Berstein
    • Ram Hoa
    • All of the above one at a time again. Third time's a charm, right?
    • All the Zentraedi Babes (Pixie Sq) at once!
    • None of the above
    • Dude these are cartoon characters. You guys are sick!
    • Still not sure.

Just a joke I think. I will however take this opportunity to point out that I was dumb enough to vote for her in the first poll. So she has a cell phone in her head - what could possibly be the harm in that.

Nope, I voted for mainly because she's become a heck of a lot more interesting in the shadows than the more predictable others. She's also way more interesting now than when you voted for her. Given that, it's better than voting for them all, since I won't vote Sheryl or Ranka.

1 person voted for Grace....I see they like their fake women.

I dunno, the fact that she sprouts tentacles can be a bit off putting.

However, as a celphone/tentacle hentai monster/rogue AI/manager who also happens to the Final Cylon and the Boss as well as a member of Section 9, SEELE and the Patriots, she can't help but be interesting.

Indeed. Though we don't know if see is merely an AI. There could very well be a real Grace. At least, at one time or another. So could just be controlling replicas of herself from Galaxy.

Oh, and you forgot backup power generator. ^_^

Nice to know you still view Sheryl objectively, Mike_S_6. It helps me to know such. I agree that the characters, while good, could be better. So much has gone into the triangle, but not enough into it's participants. Even Sheryl's a tad blah for me, as her character does seem a tad forced (rewatching her early scenes did help immensely, but the damage is done). Though her recent jabs at Ranka were more in the character first established,so they're correcting it. I can't say I particularly like that side of her either. She can be rather underhanded (the whole birthday bit was horrible in terms of friendship with Ranka though). It seems in matter of the heart, Ranka is naive, but learning (she did push back instead of back down in 15), and Sheryl won't pull any punches, even when up against a friend, though she's starting to see her as a rival. So she does have a bit of a sugar on the outside and spice on the inside persona, which was horribly out of balance writing concerned for most of the show. It's improving though. Her fandom tends to overblow her even. The recent Fairy 9 thing does hint at a somewhat satisfying back story though that might explain her better. Is it true she was intended as a bit player? It would explain somethings, as seems sort of obvious in her poor or perhaps convenient fleshing out. If so, it makes me wonder if she was originally going to die on Gallia IV.

If you don't mind my asking, what would be Sheryl deal breakers for you?

Ranka's plodding along, and developing well though, if by numbers, and Alto's pretty decent with his "I hate my dad" motivations. The characters are likable if nothing else, and if Hellsing TV has taught me anything, Sheryl or Ranka could have no depth whatsoever and people would still love them. Particularly Sheryl.

So yeah, Grace is probably the most interesting at the moment if only because we have no clue what she's up to. Though Inoue's voice helps and I still love that line as done by Lunar, "Hatrid will burn in its infernal glory".

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Indeed. Though we don't know if see is merely an AI. There could very well be a real Grace. At least, at one time or another. So could just be controlling replicas of herself from Galaxy.

You mean she's also Dr. Doom + Doombots as well!? :blink:

Nice to know you still view Sheryl objectively, Mike_S_6. It helps me to know such.

If you don't mind my asking, what would be Sheryl deal breakers for you?

For one, I liked Sheryl because she's professional. If she loses that, that's minus ten points. I also like her for being strong. So if she becomes the most helpless girl in the story, not even making attempts to fix the problem herself (and becomes a bloody clingy crying pulp and asks Alto to stop fighting because she will lose him blather), that's another twenty points. And then she becomes self-destructive and does a very stupid thing that kills many people... out of love for Alto...

I'm not very creative with this, you see. Well just a proof that my image of the characters are not fixed - I'd probably vote for Michael as my favorite male now. One episode ago, I almost hated his character, but Alto's line about Michael being intuitive made me reconsider. However, I do recognize that one of the reasons I like Sheryl's character is forever to her credit - the fact that she starts out very high in the story, and then seemingly lost almost everything halfway in. It's a nice twist, it's uncommon for a protagonist, and I like it.

But if I don't vote for Sheryl, that doesn't mean I'd vote for Ranka. I will probably vote for Grace if Sheryl goes down in my eyes. Ranka is just not my type of character. I have a mild dislike for Cinderella stories and their lead characters.

(By the way, my favorite character ever in any Japanese animation is Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop. I loved the characters in that animation.)

It is a nice turn, though not entirely uncommon. I's the "oh, how the mighty have fallen" or, "the bigger they are, the harder they fall". If you like that, check out some Greek tragedies maybe. The fact that she was being used (as Ranka is now) is interesting. I wouldn't call Ranka's a Cinderella story, despite their use of the term. At least, not in the true sense of the term. She's developed a use, and the powers that be are manipulating it to their favor. She's a pawn, they all are. It seems she's even been one since birth. Ranka has that in common with Sheryl now. Though she scored a few points in allowing her song to be warped in such a way for the sake of Alto and Ozma. I'm not sure i like what they did with the heart of it (though the score to it is bloody awesome). I loved the nose art too, though Ranka's a little to kid sister for me to fully appreciate it. Episode 17 is spelling doom for Ozma, which should affect her immeasurably.

As for what they'll do with Sheryl, your way is quite plausible in many ways. Though I don't see her getting weepy, except in maybe a sudden tearful dropping of her defenses. A total, full of herself moment (and she is indeed full of herself, she even admitted it, if in jest), where she suddenly stops the games and comes straight out is a scenario I could see them using. I can also see her acting rashly in a defensive way, as she tends to do such (how many, "how dare you" moments has she had with Alto not?). She's very impulsive, she I can see her causing trouble. I don't think she's going to be very friendly with Ranka, not like she was underneath anyway. She strikes me as a girl of many faces and persona. I haven't determined whether she's a strong woman that hides behind a sarcastic, playful demeanor to those close, or the more common tenderness hidden behind fierce, protective will. Which is the mask? Maybe it's a mix. Her recent actions suggest a very headstrong, but very insecure woman that needs to feel, well, needed. It obvious that nothing makes her feel better than being important. She also knows how precarious her position is, otherwise so wouldn't be so irked by Ranka's new found success. I say the sarcasm is a front, and her actually persona is pretty much the opposite of what she projects. That's not to say she's weak, but she's probably not as confident or secure as she had people believe.

Describing her as such sort of makes me want to equate her to Mitsuki Hayase from Kiminozo. A character I absolutely adore due to her utter realism, but most people seem to revile. Though Mitsuki was utterly dependent on the mask of strength she hid behind, and then the guy she loved after she shed it and became the real, sweet, soft her. Hence it was absolutely crushing when it seemed like he was leaving her to the point that severing all ties was the only way to go on. While I think some of her strength is very real unlike Mitsuki, Sheryl still seems very dependent on the status quo, even if she knew she was being used, and not as strong as she'd have people believe. Having Ranka replace her is definitely going to cause fireworks. They may end up playing her as Alto being the only thing she has left.

Amusingly, while I hate how she's played the triangle so far, if she does turn out to be Mitsuki-esque, I'll probably like her a lot more, as her actions will have great motivation. Though I'm a sucker for Tsundere types anyway. Strong, yet vulnerable. Episode 16 has got me thinking about her. They've definitely fixed some of the irks in her personally. I never could buy that cold pro to carefree teen bit from early on. too damn inconsistent. So the writings improved.

I wonder if that makes Ranka Haruka? She is the maturing character type. Gaining confidence and such.

Does that mean Alto's like that indecisive wuss Takayuki who's "I have to have both" act ended up hurting both girls. I hope Alto isn't like that kind of scum. ^_^;;;

"You mean she's also Dr. Doom + Doombots as well!?"

Yes. Basically, a puppet master. Who knows though. It's a heck of a conspiracy.

Ah yes Mitsuki Hayase was a great character but misunderstood by so many, think it has a lot to do with the age range of people watching anime too...

Episode 17 is spelling doom for Ozma, which should affect her immeasurably.

Darial on Suki did a break down of episode 10-16 spoilers vs what actually occurred.. most of the time the spoilers were misleading and weren't the main issue for the episode. Look at episode 14, you would have no idea a massive battle which was the focus of the episode was going to take place reading the spoilers.

Yes 17 will feature the back story on Ozma and Ranka and about damn time too.. but I wouldn't be surprised if Goodbye Sister is referring to Brera, could he start to be regaining some memories next episode? Will it be of the one where he parted from Ranka in the past?

"Ah yes Mitsuki Hayase was a great character but misunderstood by so many."

For once, I think we truly agree, Westlo. I once wrote a huge piece on her to defend against such an attack.I actually won the other guys respect for it.

"think it has a lot to do with the age range of people watching anime too..."

I think it has more to do with the handling of the time skip. My sister loved her too, then they showed her dating Takayuki with no setup. Most people who hate her got colored by that into viewing her as a man stealing tramp. The damage going so far as to have them ignore the circumstances behind it, and the many years she waited. They acted like it was all, "Whoo Hoo, my best friends in a coma, time to get MY man." Which of course is despicable, but couldn't be further from the truth.

I don't read spoilers. I'm merely going with what the preview gave us. It could be Brera, but the focus was on Ozma. Whether he's severing ties or what, I don't know. He just seems so ripe to die, especially given the measure Ranka just took to try to protect him.

On a somewhat unrelated note, curse you for having me return to myanimelist. I'd forgotten how ridiculously over thorough it was. I also love how I have over 400 views over the course of two years with a mere two titles (out of the hundreds I've actually seen) listed. What...The...F*ck...

Though looking at your list, we should get along a lot better than I think we have... :blink:

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Sheryl took a huge hit this time round, about a 20% drop?

Its becoming a three way tie between Cathy (who I liked from the start), Sheryl (I reserve judgment on her until I see how she acts after getting discarded by Grace) and Grace herself (blowing up half a planet never looked so good). Can I have all three? Please?

In the end Cathy's shower scene was the the thing that tipped me to voted for her. Yes I know I'm shallow.

Sheryl took a huge hit this time round, about a 20% drop?

Its becoming a three way tie between Cathy (who I liked from the start), Sheryl (I reserve judgment on her until I see how she acts after getting discarded by Grace) and Grace herself (blowing up half a planet never looked so good). Can I have all three? Please?

In the end Cathy's shower scene was the the thing that tipped me to voted for her. Yes I know I'm shallow.

Actually she's increased her lead in this poll from MF Girls Part 2. Her % in this poll is 63.51%, her % in the previous poll is 49.63%.

Macross Frontier Girls 3

Sheryl Nome [ 47 ] [63.51%]

Klan Klan [ 6 ] [8.11%]

Ranka Lee [ 11 ] [14.86%]

Macross Frontier Girls 2

Sheryl Nome [ 133 ] [49.63%]

Klan Klan [ 51 ] [19.03%]

Ranka Lee [ 25 ] [9.33%]

Klan's has hardly had any screen time in the last 5 episodes while in the previous poll she was featured heavily in episode 9 ad the poll was done after 10.

And I really like Cathy to.. she needs more screen time... more shower scenes.. I mean banter with Ozma!

Edited by Westlo

And I really like Cathy to.. she needs more screen time... more shower scenes.. I mean banter with Ozma!

What she need is more character development, not just shower scene you pervert :lol:

I bet there's plenty of Cathy on the next episode if she prepared a salad thingy :rolleyes:

To each his own, I suppose...Me, I think the show needs 83% more Nanase. And if there's a scene without her, everyone else needs to stand around and say, "Where's Nanase?"

Finally, they could retitle the show "Nanase F." Or, "F. Nanase," depending on how the show's new direction is received...

I thought Sheryl was running at high 70% low 80% the last time. Of course she's still the queen. And I had expected a sympathy in her favour.

I tell you what, you can watch the character developement scenes and the couples banter between Cathy and Ozma. I'll watch the shower scenes for you. B))

I should have added, "...in anime." And yes, I am familiar with Greek tragedies, mostly from studying mythologies in school.

Oh, it happens in anime too. Though usually not so pronounced, or they start normal, go high, then fall. Usually they claw back up too. Mitsuki's one, definitely. Asuka too.

Oh, it happens in anime too. Though usually not so pronounced, or they start normal, go high, then fall. Usually they claw back up too. Mitsuki's one, definitely. Asuka too.

Of course it happens, I didn't say that it doesn't happen, I just said that it's not common, especially for a protagonist who's also one of the leading characters.

Edited by mike_s_6

To each his own, I suppose...Me, I think the show needs 83% more Nanase. And if there's a scene without her, everyone else needs to stand around and say, "Where's Nanase?"

Finally, they could retitle the show "Nanase F." Or, "F. Nanase," depending on how the show's new direction is received...

Klan eats Nanase for Breakfast. :ph34r:

I don't know why you guys are fussing about Klan eating seven colored carrots :lol:

I'll say that Ranka is like FIX, Cathy is HGUC, Sheyl is MG, Nanase is PG, and Klan as a Jumbo Grade. ^_^

I'ts time for my medication I think....... :wacko: