Studio Half-Eye YF-19 transforming resin kit

protostar8

I've had the thing laying around for years now and never did anything past making sure all the parts were okay inside. I searched on the boards but didn't really turn up too much info on it (could be my search skills just sucked on this one though). So how hard are these kits to assemble and do they require any extra parts not included in the kit? And this is probably the wrong place to ask this, but did anyone ever make re-casts of these?

I should mention that I've done tons of gundam kits and a few other kits, but never a resin kit.

Edited by protostar8

I've had the thing laying around for years now and never did anything past making sure all the parts were okay inside. I searched on the boards but didn't really turn up too much info on it (could be my search skills just sucked on this one though). So how hard are these kits to assemble and do they require any extra parts not included in the kit? And this is probably the wrong place to ask this, but did anyone ever make re-casts of these?

I should mention that I've done tons of gundam kits and a few other kits, but never a resin kit.

Dude, why not just build it fixed? You really think you are going to play with it? If you are going to play with it, don't you think your time might be spent better building other kits? Seriously, who would ever bother to transform a resin kit? You work so hard to get it beautiful, but then they are so fragile that you break it and/or scratch the paint job trying to transform it. And why? Because you wanted to zoom it around your apartment? Seems silly.

Dude, why not just build it fixed? You really think you are going to play with it? If you are going to play with it, don't you think your time might be spent better building other kits? Seriously, who would ever bother to transform a resin kit? You work so hard to get it beautiful, but then they are so fragile that you break it and/or scratch the paint job trying to transform it. And why? Because you wanted to zoom it around your apartment? Seems silly.

Maybe b/c part of the reason why I bought a transformable kit was to be able to transform it??? I'd have bought a damn Hasegawa kit if I wanted it fixed. Hell, there have been plenty of toys that transform and get scratched from that process but some people (myself included) like that it transforms and enjoys transforming it.

I asked how hard the kit was to build and if I'll need anything extra to build it other than basic hobby tools.

Resin kits require more skill than you're regular gundam snap plastic kit, it needs to be test fitted, cleaned, filled, sand, etc, I've never built a SHE kit, but read a little bit about them and some drilling may be require for screwing articulation and joints, it's not an easy fit, I haven't seen a SHE kit build up of a YF-19 anywhere, there's a SHE VF-4G around that you could use as a bit of reference point as to how a SHE kit works, all SHE original kits come complete with everything you need except your basic tools, never seen either a recast of this kit

I can only imagine you pay a very hefty price for this, I would recommend you search for a lot of 'tips' treads around here that will show you how to work with resin and try getting a cheapo resin kit of whatever to practice a LOT with it before you move to this, just to resume

1. carefully pry away parts from the trees with the correct tools

2. test fit part

3. drill where it's needed

4. wash the parts to remove excess flash

5. prime, putty, sand

6. paint

7. clear coat to protect from scratches on transformation

8. details

hope it helps

Edited by Valkyrie addict

Resin kits by their nature are a bit more fragile than styrene kits. I would possibly take the advice and build it in a fixed pose. For a first resin kit, a 'transformable' one is a bigger challenge than a static one.

Edited by PetarB

I believe the SHE recasts came with most of the stuff a "real" SHE kit needed you to buy separately--mostly the screws, pins, etc for the hinges. Possibly WAVE joints and polycaps.

AFAIK the hardest thing (asides from the sheer fact that it's resin) is getting the pins and screws in straight---you have to drill all the holes yourself. If you're off by just a little bit, then the parts will pivot/hinge at an angle, and may not transform correctly. Be very careful and make sure you're drilling/installing pins/screws at exactly the right angle.

Okay guys, thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I may just let it sit unbuilt for awhile longer b/c it sounds like more work then I'm up for at the moment. I had actually considered selling this at one point or seeing if anyone wanted to recast it, so I may end up going that direction if I think it'll be too much trouble to build one day.

I also had forgotten to mention that I've built transforming custom Transformers from scratch (sheets of plastic and rods), so I'm cool with pretty much everything mentioned minus drilling holes, but I could practice on some spare plastic I have sitting around if needed.

Edited by protostar8

All original SHE Macross kits come with the necessary screws. However you will need to accquire some polycaps, which can prove a task. They are specific WAVE made ones aqnd have been long discontinued.

Last but not least, as far as I know, the only SHE recast ever made was the VF-4 :rolleyes:

All SHE Macross kits use the same polycaps, if you can tell me how many of the large and small ones you need I might be able to help you as I should still have some recast ones!

If you have been doing scratch build TF's then you should be able to do this kit. The fact that they are non too common might sway you to get someone to recast it for you. That way you could ask for a cast as payment and use that instead of the original.

Those wave polycaps are great I bought a load of them while I was in Japan a few years ago. When I ran out, I went back to get some more a couple of years later and they had gone :(

The guy in the shop said when they were discontinued someone came in and bought all his Wave Polycap stock along with the rest of the Wave bit sets in one go.

Some one should really consider recasting sets of them as they are Uber useful.

I've worked on YF-19 and YF-21 SHE kits.

Tips:

Get the correct drill bits for the screws. I believe they're specified in the kit's manual.

You'll need a right angled ruler (Kotobukiya produces a small set). The right angled ruler can help you determine perpendicular drilling locations for the kit.

Pilot the drill locations using a smaller drill bit. If your drill requirement is 0.4mm go with a 0.2mm drill bit and then work your way up, so this way if there is a mistake it won't be as big.

And if you really mess up... use some epoxy or strong putty (that can be drilled) which is about the same consistency or hardness of the resin. You can just patch up the mis-angled drill job, remeasure and re-drill again.

Hope this helps,

Max

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX