Macross Museum Exhibit

Gyges

Hi, all.

I went to the Vacnouver Art Gallery yesterday; they have an exhibit on the art of graphic novels, comics, manga, anime and video games. What did I see at the entrance of the anime section but a clip from episode 27 of SDF: Macross on a loop! There was some accompanying text, mostly on Itano (in point of fact, falsely attributing mechanical design of the VF-1 to him). They also have a great theatre, where they were showing some episodes of SDF: Macross.

What can I say, as a Macross fan it was a thrill. The exhibit in general was very nicely done, so I can recommend a visit to anyone in the area.

Hi, all.

I went to the Vacnouver Art Gallery yesterday; they have an exhibit on the art of graphic novels, comics, manga, anime and video games. What did I see at the entrance of the anime section but a clip from episode 27 of SDF: Macross on a loop! There was some accompanying text, mostly on Itano (in point of fact, falsely attributing mechanical design of the VF-1 to him). They also have a great theatre, where they were showing some episodes of SDF: Macross.

What can I say, as a Macross fan it was a thrill. The exhibit in general was very nicely done, so I can recommend a visit to anyone in the area.

I gots to see that.

No surprise they got the mechanical designer wrong, the curator of the exibit is some guy who did a documentary once. He isn't any sort of fan of pop culture. He's gotten many facts wrong according to a local comic shop owner...

I gots to see that.

I was considering going but I'm getting a bad vibe from the advertising. I have a feeling it's not a celebration or real objective look at game/comic/anime culture - it feels like the usual derisive point and shout "Look at the geeks!" approach. It's not okay to present sports fans or opera lovers as weird outsiders but it's acceptable to look down of SF fanboys?

Plus I just don't like the VAG on principle. VAG gets the great old building and the Vancouver Centennial Museum get diddly.

Like you guys care about the history of Vancouver Museum. Sorry for the rant.

At least they are showing Macross and not Gundam....

Edited by DestroidDefender

I was considering going but I'm getting a bad vibe from the advertising. I have a feeling it's not a celebration or real objective look at game/comic/anime culture - it feels like the usual derisive point and shout "Look at the geeks!" approach. It's not okay to present sports fans or opera lovers as weird outsiders but it's acceptable to look down of SF fanboys?

And that matters how? The Geeks shall inherit the Earth, or should I say already own half of it... B))

The beer swilling factory workers can have the sports events and act like total miscreants. The cops are always there to catch them when they fall... :p

At least they are showing Macross and not Gundam....

That's because you can watch Gundam EVERYWHERE!!!

I was considering going but I'm getting a bad vibe from the advertising. I have a feeling it's not a celebration or real objective look at game/comic/anime culture - it feels like the usual derisive point and shout "Look at the geeks!" approach.

I can see why you'd get that from the advertising, but I can assure you the exhibit is not like that at all. The tone is, if anything, scholarly throughout.

There was some accompanying text, mostly on Itano (in point of fact, falsely attributing mechanical design of the VF-1 to him).

OUTRAGE!!!! :angry:

(I would have graffitied "Is Shoji Kawamori Idiots" all over the place... And burn it afterwards...)

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

I can see why you'd get that from the advertising, but I can assure you the exhibit is not like that at all. The tone is, if anything, scholarly throughout.

Yeah, I heard that too.

The errors are what get me...

If one is going to put on a show then one should get their facts straight otherwise look like an ignorant fool...

Alright then I suppose we have to go.

Full Cosplay gear it is. I'll be a fat bald Basara.

LOL, with your hair fart combed up from the back of your head...

I think I'll go Tuesday nights as it's like a 5:00 minimum donation as opposed to $20.00 to be irritated by mis-information...