MSiA Gundam Figures in the U.S.

I saw MSiA figures for Zeta Gundam in issue of Toyfare several months ago (around April or May, I think), and the September issue showed U.S. releases for FIX figures. The release dates were supposedly for Fall and Winter '03, but now Bandai America has merely started cranking out rereleases of 3-year-old Gundam Wing figures and Battle-Scarred MS. Beyond that...nothing. No news, no rumors...nothing. I've searched the internet for SOMETHING regarding future releases, but it seems that kids (including the big ones like me) have finally gotten their fill of this line...and Bandai has slowed production down to almost a trickle. :huh:

Suddenly all we're getting here in the U.S. are tons of these SD Gundam figures and minifigures. These simply don't have the appeal to me that the "accurately scaled" figures do. I know that many people on MW are big SD fans, but the cuteness of the oversized heads and stubby limbs wears off really quick for me. And the SD Gundam series on Cartoon Network is the most insipid thing I have ever seen...it makes Sailor Moon look like high-drama. <_<

Does anyone know if Bandai has given up on bringing any of the other Gundam series over here in MSiA form...or are we doomed to the next 3 to 4 years of every Gundam MS being in Super-Deformed versions? :(

Ben

Edited by Yamato Lover

I think it because Bandai releases the figures along with the show. SD Gundam is the new thing so they will put out SD stuff right now. When Zeta is released or about to be released, the Zeta figures will be in the stores.

If they released Zeta figures now, most kids probably would pass them over since they have no idea what the Zeta Gundams are about. I passed on getting any G-Gundam figures until I saw the show. Once I saw them in action, it made me want them.

I saw MSiA figures for Zeta Gundam in issue of Toyfare several months ago (around April or May, I think), and the September issue showed U.S. releases for FIX figures. The release dates were supposedly for Fall and Winter '03, but now Bandai America has merely started cranking out rereleases of 3-year-old Gundam Wing figures and Battle-Scarred MS. Beyond that...nothing. No news, no rumors...nothing. I've searched the internet for SOMETHING regarding future releases, but it seems that kids (including the big ones like me) have finally gotten their fill of this line...and Bandai has slowed production down to almost a trickle. :huh:

Suddenly all we're getting here in the U.S. are tons of these SD Gundam figures and minifigures. These simply don't have the appeal to me that the "accurately scaled" figures do. I know that many people on MW are big SD fans, but the cuteness of the oversized heads and stubby limbs wears off really quick for me. And the SD Gundam series on Cartoon Network is the most insipid thing I have ever seen...it makes Sailor Moon look like high-drama. <_<

Does anyone know if Bandai has given up on bringing any of the other Gundam series over here in MSiA form...or are we doomed to the next 3 to 4 years of every Gundam MS being in Super-Deformed versions? :(

Ben

Bandai has undoubtedly changed the Zeta merchandise release to better coincide with Zeta's video release next year. But yeah, I got a hankering for some Zeta toys myself! B))

Suddenly all we're getting here in the U.S. are tons of these SD Gundam figures and minifigures. These simply don't have the appeal to me that the "accurately scaled" figures do.

I suggest you take another look at the Zaku II figure and compare it to the machine gun that comes with it. The gun is way oversized for the figure, a big screwup that still went unfixed even with the version 2.0 release of the Zaku II figures.

Suddenly all we're getting here in the U.S. are tons of these SD Gundam figures and minifigures.  These simply don't have the appeal to me that the "accurately scaled" figures do.

I suggest you take another look at the Zaku II figure and compare it to the machine gun that comes with it. The gun is way oversized for the figure, a big screwup that still went unfixed even with the version 2.0 release of the Zaku II figures.

for that reason alone, i cannot wait for the FIX Zaku....

Suddenly all we're getting here in the U.S. are tons of these SD Gundam figures and minifigures.  These simply don't have the appeal to me that the "accurately scaled" figures do.

That's why I put the term accurately scaled in quotation marks. I know that MSiA figures aren't 100 accurate in scale. Some range between 1/100 and 1/140 scale with a host of offbeat scales in between. ;)

On a related note, did anyone catch how they have changed the acronym for SD?. It's Superior Defender according to the show title, and not Super Deformed.

:rolleyes:

Cultural issue. The Bandai representatives at SDCC 2003 explained how young american audiences would not understand the idea of "super deformed," hence the new use of the SD acronym of superior defender.

bandai hasn't completely given up on the MSiA, but their distribution seems to have gone into the crapper again. part of the problem is that the last wave or two of G gundam figures didn't sell well, nor are the battle scarred figures selling well, so most of the places i look are overstocked with pegwarming figures from the mid-summer. the other problem is that the new releases right now are mostly just upgraded wing figures. there are some new figures, transforming epyon and wing, and the manguanacs. but the other figures are pretty much just the old figures with better joints and a few remolded parts. they do seem to be selling well though, or at least i'm having a hard time finding them.

it should be interesting to see what they do with the zeta line. since cartoon network has officially stated that it won't show Zeta the toys won't have a supporting tv show. F-91 is supposed to get a limited theatrical release, but so far there are no new toys being hinted at. if we get a gundam show next year, it will probably be SEED, but the seed toys so far are not suited to the US market, nor am i especially interested in them. SEED will probably breathe quite a bit of new life in to the US gundam market, as it seems to have been tailor made for the wing obsessed US fanbase. this will, of course, delay the releases of the rest of the UC shows as well as X and turn A.

SEED, however, has scored as the least popular gundam show ever in a poll taken of gundam fandom. check out the numbers HERE its towards the bottom of the page. granted the results are mostly from the hardcore long term fans, but they are an important segment of the market.

On a related note, did anyone catch how they have changed the acronym for SD?.  It's Superior Defender according to the show title, and not Super Deformed.

:rolleyes:

Cultural issue. The Bandai representatives at SDCC 2003 explained how young american audiences would not understand the idea of "super deformed," hence the new use of the SD acronym of superior defender.

thats crap. There were Star Wars SD figures, and they had Super Deformed Written on them.

SEED, however, has scored as the least popular gundam show ever in a poll taken of gundam fandom. check out the numbers HERE its towards the bottom of the page. granted the results are mostly from the hardcore long term fans, but they are an important segment of the market.

How did SEED do where it really matters...the TV ratings?

from what i've gathered, the ratings were pretty good, and dvd sales for the episodes are doing very well. but it seems that the show was slightly popular with parents for some of the content, but there were other content elements that got it in trouble. as a run of the mill anime it seems a success, its main problem seems to be that its tied to the gundam franchise, and the gundam fans weren't happy.

i saw a zeta figure at my target and walmart, it was one of those super deluxe expensive ones with craploads of accesories and parts and comes in a box not on a board

Which one?

im not sure, i didnt have much interest in it as i didnt find it to look good, i kno it had alot of white auxillary armor

i saw a zeta figure at my target and walmart, it was one of those super deluxe expensive ones with craploads of accesories and parts and comes in a box not on a board

Which one?

im not sure, i didnt have much interest in it as i didnt find it to look good, i kno it had alot of white auxillary armor

That sounds like the Full Armor Nu Gundam

Thankfully the opinions of 2000 old school fans having a knee-jerk reaction isn't that relevant to the big picture.

The show has been quite successful in all other aspects.

Hell, just the notion that SEED could be considered inferior to drek like Wing, ZZ or F-91 is laughable, to put it mildly.

wow were figures really planed for US release? i know the kado senshi were at one point b ut not anymore =(/

lets hope SD gundam is a gateway to zeta since the kids will get older and want somethin more suited for them.

if anything lets hope we get a big ass dx f-91. nothing wtrong with huge gundams. although its p[rety small to begin with

Thankfully the opinions of 2000 old school fans having a knee-jerk reaction isn't that relevant to the big picture.

The show has been quite successful in all other aspects.

Hell, just the notion that SEED could be considered inferior to drek like Wing, ZZ or F-91 is laughable, to put it mildly.

maybe, but you'll notice that though plans were announced for SEED 2, the project has now been shelved, and that statements were made that the next show would attempt to make the long term fans more happy, though its air date has been pushed back as well.

Yamato Lover said...

and the September issue showed U.S. releases for FIX figures.

Are you for sure about this? Is Bandai REALLY considering releasing the FIX FIGURATION series in the N.A. market? Great Maker I hope so. With the recent rise in shipping costs, I have been reluctant to purchase another FIX FIG.