Two Questions.

M. Frost

alright, so I just bought my first Valkyrie, the 1/60 YF-19 w/Fold Booster and while it's introduced me into collecting these, I was just wondering if there are any that are made of Die Cast Metal, either a little bit or primarily?

I'm looking at the WAVE SDF-1 on my "next to get list"

any other suggestions on which one I should buy next as well?

and hello ;)

Get the Bandai 1/55 chunky monkey reissues if you want more die-cast in the valks ... but they are not as detailed as the Yamatos.

And welcome to the MW forums ...

Edited by Vermillion21

alright, so I just bought my first Valkyrie, the 1/60 YF-19 w/Fold Booster and while it's introduced me into collecting these, I was just wondering if there are any that are made of Die Cast Metal, either a little bit or primarily?

I'm looking at the WAVE SDF-1 on my "next to get list"

any other suggestions on which one I should buy next as well?

and hello ;)

So far none of the 1/60 scale valks or 1/48 valks by yamato have any metal. The wave SDF-1 had some diecast, but not a whole lot. If I were you id get myself at least one 1/48 scale VF-1 for its sheer size. Or you can wait for the 1/60 vf-1 coming out but it wont be as big.

Only the early yamato 1/72 macross plus valks and the original 1/60 vf-1 have any substantial diecast.

the 1/48s have a tiny amount of diecast, landing bay doors, landing gears, and the swing bar

the newer 1/60 valks have die cast landing gears and die cast hips/swing bar.

My most recent Macross purchase was the WAVE SDF Macross... it's great - but -

I would personally advise you to get the SV-51 Nora or Ivanov; or a VF-1.

Sadly, I must say you should stay away from VF-Os because it's important you get some non-risk-of-breaking Valks to fall in love with them and then you can take the plunge, cross your fingers and be ready to buy 2 or 3 Zeros before getting a fault free one :)

Welcome to...OBLIVION!! :)

VFTF1

out of the various yamato releases:

- The 1/48 VF-1(x) has the fewest problems and is a safe bet in terms of QC and design

- The 1/60 YF-19 has a few problems, like a gunpod that doesn't sit straight in fighter mode, but if you can find the w/ FAST pack & combo set or the 25th anniversary repaint, those two have resolved all design issues. Though there is no lock for the chest in battroid and GERWALK mode, which some people find annoying.

- The 1/60 SV-51 DD type has a few problems, loose leg joints and wing armaments that don't like to stay on as well as a few having a problem with one of the wing hinges, NORA and CF type are flawless from all accounts.

- The 1/60 VF-0s and CF are plagued with busted arms. And the VF-0s has a few other problems like the feet not locking out in battroid and the gun not fitting on the arm peg. There's apparantly some chemical reaction between the plastic and the rubber friction inserts that causes the plastic to go brittle and shatter into itty bitty pieces. The shin ghost combo might have the arm fixes, but the only safe bet is the VF-0s reissue or the VF-0s Ghost combo.

There's the 1/60 yf-21 and the new 1/60 VF-1s ver 2.0 coming out shortly and Graham has promised us flawless toys, but most of us are keeping our fingers (and toes) crossed.

Edited by eugimon

Dude, buy the nora SV-51. It feels light but that is imo so far the best valkyrie yamato has done so far. The reason diecast is bad is the paint can chip the more the parts scrape together. Most yamato toys are mainly plastic, which is good in some ways for them because the joints may get loose and the limbs become floppy due to the weight. (eg the legs of the old 1/72 yf-21 would sag down if you lifted the toy up by the chest instead of the legs staying stuck in the position you last left them. This is not good for people like me who like to display my toys sometime in a flying or "floating in space" pose in battroid mode)

- The 1/60 VF-0s and CF are plagued with busted arms. And the VF-0s has a few other problems like the feet not locking out in battroid and the gun not fitting on the arm peg. There's apparantly some chemical reaction between the plastic and the rubber friction inserts that causes the plastic to go brittle and shatter into itty bitty pieces. The shin ghost combo might have the arm fixes, but the only safe bet is the VF-0s reissue or the VF-0s Ghost combo.

How do you tell if it is a reissue?

How do you tell if it is a reissue?

I don't know how to tell if it is still in the box. But the reissue should have the feet fix, and the gunpod fix. So if the feet can lock out and hold the weight in battroid, then you should be good. I think safest is to look for a vf-0s/ghost combo.

If you're looking for one, there's a member selling one for a good price in our for sale section.

honestly, all three of my VF-0's are just fine...and I have first releases of the 0S and 0A

Which is great for you, but even yamato owned up to the fact that the VF-0 was flawed, hence the material changes and the replacement arms they offered (sold).