Matchbox SDF-1 - someone scored?

ROBOTECH/MACROSS- MATCHBOX SDF1 NIB w/ POSTER

The box was a little used up (for collector's standards). But the toy inside looked like it just left Price Club 20 years ago. Pristine. The box wasn't even opened, with the exception of the flat panel, in which they sliced a circle-sticker, simply for the purpose of a ebay photo shoot.

My question is: I thought these things were rare. And in this condition?! That's cheap, ain't it? I usually see them all crapped up. Missing arms and legs. Bundled together with a used red and green lion from Voltron.

I would have bid on it, but I didn't have time for a bidding war. I thought it would reach over $300 easy.

And WHY, other than those two little metal mini's, doesn't Yamato come out with some new versions? Or even a re-release from the Matchbox (Tat/Bandai) version. Or some company?

Did someone lose the master molds? Is the toy not cool enough?

Did Micheal Jackson buy the rights so no toy company can make them? (rumor has it, he bought the rights, because back in 1987, he was really good friends with a Japanese kid dubbed "Japan's #1 MJ Fan".. Today, this kid is now the head designer for a Japanese model/toy company. Apparently, this company is the only organization that has the rights to make a Macross (aka SDF-1: Home of the Robotech Defense Force) toy. And for some odd reason, they like to leave a large crotch gap on their design. Almost looks like the toy is splitting apart diagonally.

Yamato... would make a decent one.

Bandai... would make a decent re-release.

CM... would make a decent one, but with colors too bright (and priced over $280 + $40 shipping)

Toynami... would make one that blows.

All the other toy companies would make a static figure where you didn't even know if you were gonna get one, because they came bundled up in a random set of 4.

This filipino is pissed.

Where's that dude who just got rid of his SDF-1 model?

How much did the one you're talking about end up going for? I thought it was $200-$275 for a minty Matchbox SDF-1 and $500ish for a minty Takatoku were about the going rates. I've sold a couple mint SDF-1s for less than $300, I know that.

The one I'm talking about went for $162 I think.

Bummer.

Oh, and another auction ended: ROBOTECH/MACROSS- MAC ll DESTROID CANNON (Matchbox) MIB...

Only fifty bucks.

Yeah, I remember getting a Red Legioss (Matchbox) from Kaybee for 9.99 clearance.

Edited by fifbeat

Matchbox Robotech stuff is cheap. Generally why they may also be rare, there is less demand because a lot of the toys sucked. Battlepod prices went down when more people went for the cheaper Exo-squad versions instead.

I traded all my Exo-squad Robotech for MASK toys instead.

The Matchbox SDF1 is cool even though it's missing so many features of the Takatoku...but I think I paid $80 for my boxed one and I applied the stickers myself. I added an extra few as well to cover the holes at the top for the missile launcher which I thought looked stupid. The Daedalus and Prometheus are in sorry need for some detail though.

I would kill for a good sized DYRL SDF-1, not the small one released a while ago that claimed diecast but hardly had any metal and was uber expensive.

Yeah, i guess that makes some sense. =)

Yeah, I'm not feeling those recently released SDF1 toys either. I'm not digging the way they look, and they're too small and pricey for their size.

The ONLY macross toy you truly get your money's worth for are 1/48's... though they're just plastic, they're HUGE, well-made and look awesome!