What are your favorite Import games for PS2

jwinges

Since a lot of us just bought our first import for PS2 (Macross of course) and don't know what other great import games there are for us that are playable even if we don't speak or read japanese. How about a top ten or something from those who have played a lot of imports.

Well I have imported Super robot wars Alpha 2 and while it may not have macross it is still just as cool as the previous installments.

For those who don't know what SRW is basically

You control giant robots form all your favorite series (Gundam, Mazinger,Macross etc.) in a stradegy RPG format.

Its REALLY cool for macross you would have to turn to the PS1 alphas though or the GBA one for M7.

That's funny graham. :lol:

I used to have SRW-alpha for the dreamcast and it frustrated me so much I sold it for cheap. Couldn't figure the darn game out. Cruddy graphics except the movies and near impossible to understand gameplay...but I've never been one for role playing games. :(

If you like gundam I would suggest Mobile Suit Gundam : Lost War Chronicles. It plays just like Gundam side story for DC but better GFX and more replay Value.

There's also Macross, but it's kinda short and controls are clunky. However it is by far the best Console Macross release imho and that's saying a lot.

There's a crapload of good RPGs for PS2 but you're gonna have to know a crapload of Kanji and Japanese in order to play them.

Many of the popular/good titles come out in America anyways, for example Way of the Samurai 2, which is pretty good, is bound for stateside so I'm not gonna buy it while I'm here :p

hey bob joe mac,

For SWRA2 you say its a role playing type fighting game right, so do you need to be able to read japanese if you play this game?

Ok well the text is in japanese. So if you want to know about the plot then yes its hard to understand.

BUT 80% of the game is in a grid based battle field.

In this field you Select your units (What you have depends on where you are really in the game)

So before the battle starts you will get a screen off units and I recognize them by the Englsih or numbers in there names or by the symbols.

So for example you would get

VF-1J*Jap text* *Pilot name* 1900/1900 HP

*Jap text* 3 (Daitarn 3) *Pilot name 9000/9000 HP

*Text*-Z (Mazinger-Z) *Pilot name) 4000/4000 HP

*Jap text* *Pilot name* 2300/2300 HP

So you knwo to understand that you would have to recognize the symbols which you would after a little bit.

After selecting your units the enimies appear and your guys appear.

SO its your turn. Every one can move a certain amount of spaces and attacks can only go a certain distnace so lets say in case of macross.

VF-1J plioted by Hikaru is in some mountain turrain so instead of moving every 2 sapces you transoform to Valk mode and move 6. Once you get closer to the enemy you attack.

So it goes into a different screen showing your guy shooting missiles or somehting. The missiles hit lets say a Zaku and it take off 2000 HP he shoats in japanese (the coolest part) and pulls out a bazooka and shoots back.

Repeat said process with all units until mission is over.

Go here fo SRW @2 screenshots and movies.

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/srw/srw2a/srw2a.html

BUT if you only want this for a cool Macross stradegy game where you can blast Zentraedi's GET ALPHA 1

Alpha 1 you get the Macross and Skull squadren and do Missions straight from DYRl or the TV show. (well ya know but with maybe some other giant robots with you) you will also get the YF-21 and 19

Alpha Gaiden the Zentraedi are no longer there and the macross has crashed. but you still get Skull Squad and YF-19 and 21.

now those are both for the PS1 and the only other one with macross is SRWD for the GBA which has M7 in it.

Now I know thats like an essay but I hope it clears it up.

Rez

and the Biohazard games don't need a lot of Japanese knowledge

their out in english.....

Rez (at last check) was fairly rare in english and the biohazard games are playable and good. And they both don't need japanese knowledge. And there was the version of Rez that came with the trance vibrator.

Rez

and the Biohazard games don't need a lot of Japanese knowledge

their out in english.....

Rez (at last check) was fairly rare in english and the biohazard games are playable and good. And they both don't need japanese knowledge. And there was the version of Rez that came with the trance vibrator.

biohazard is resident evil.

why would he want a vibrator?

I just bought a Japanese PS2 way back because I wanted to import the Gundam games so I can hear the original voices. I didn't really get any other games as there weren't many there that I couldn't eventually get here, so I can't really help ya.

There are currently no Resident Evil/Biohazard games worth getting on the PS2. Code Veronica X looks bad graphically for a PS2 game, and the 4th Gun Survivor (Dead Aim/Heroes Never Die) sucked so hard it swallows. Gun Survivor 3 was never released in the U.S. so it might be worth importing if you can find a used copy for cheap.

I'd recommend Sakura Taisen: Atsuki Chishio Ni to anyone who hasn't played any of the Sakura Wars games. It's a remake of the original game with a lot of updates that makes it feel more like a sequel to the latest chapter on the Dreamcast than a remake of the first game.

Gundam: Lost War Chronicles and Giren's Greed: Zeon Revolutionary War Chronicle are also highly recommended. The only Gundam games that got ported over to the US are crap compared to these two Japan-exclusive titles.