Star Wars New Essential Guide

Mr March

Star Wars The NEW Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels

Written by W. Haden Blackman

Illustrations by Ian Fullwood

Del Rey, Published by Ballatine Books

ISBN 0-345-44902-9

For a fan of Star Wars, much of the wonder of this mythic science fiction fable has been thanks to the wonderfully colorful spacecraft that fly across the screen. Whether doing battle or just cruising in hyperspace, the spacecraft detailed in this updated book on all ships Star Wars is enough to satisify most fans of the franchise.

To label Star Wars The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels (NEGVV) as either essential or new is something of a misnomer. What the book does is list in alphabetical order all the ships and vehicles from the Star Wars movies and books, devoting two pages to each vehicle. For each ship within its pages, the NEGVV features a full color, one page glory shot of the ship at a dramatic angle as well as two small orthogonal schematics and some breif statistics. The second page features a name and class designation as well as a detailed and at the same time frivolous description of the ship. Yet while the NEGVV is certainly an improvement over the black and white schematics of the previous edition, don’t toss your old yellow book by Bill Smith and Doug Chiang into the green recycle bin just yet.

The reason the title of this book is a little misleading is because like its predecessor, the NEGVV is a 200 page book. Unfortunately, as many Star Wars fans well know, there has been a number of new ships and mecha created for the Star Wars franchise in the seven years since the first Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels was released; a book which itself was 200 pages back in 1996. What this means is the NEGVV is something less than complete. Those Star Wars fans who own the first edition of this book and collected the Incredible Cross Sections series will find they certainly want to maintain their collection. The first edition EGVV features some Star Wars materiel not included in the NEGVV (or only breifly mentioned). Furthermore, the Incredible Cross Sections books (especially Curtis Saxton’s remarkably comprehensive Attack of the Clones ICS) explore the machinery and statistics of each Star Wars ship in much more detail and most importantly, with much better accuracy and science. Lastly, the written descriptions feature plenty of fluff just like the first edition. There is more than a little information included for the sake of word count that reads like a comic strip and is just plain incorrect or irrelevant. More hard statistics like complete ship measurements (ie more than just length), weapons payload, operational ranges, and more real technical analysis would be welcome. In other words, get Dr. Curtis Saxton to write more of these books...many more.

So what does the NEGVV get right? Actually, quite a bit. The presentation itself is plenty to be happy about. The guide is printed on glossy paper and is much more colorful than the dull, colorless pages of the first edition. The NEGVV provides the beloved schematics featured in the first book while also featuring full color, full page pictures of the ships in all their glory. Most of the glory shots look great and many of the vessels - like the Mon Calamari Cruiser - benefit from a much stronger presentation. The NEGVV also has a good number of new vehicles not featured in any other book to date and all of the vehicle descriptions are newly written. The book also corrects several size errors and moves numbers more towards the accurate sizes of the Star Wars ships. The fan favorite Executor is described as 12.8 kilometers long in NEGVV and while this number is still a long way from the correct canon figure of 17.6 km, avoiding the long time erroneous 8 km figure is a welcome change in a Star Wars publication.

Most of all the NEGVV is a fun read. Even for diehard fans who ould probably write a better guide themselves, the book is worth the price. Just hang on to all your other Star Wars books, cause the ultimate guide hasn’t seen the light of day just yet.

Rating: 7 out of 10. A flawed encyclopedia of Star Wars vessels that is at the same time entertaining to read and informative even for veterans of the franchise.

Thanks for the review, Mr March. It sounds like I'm better off saving my money, at least for the time being. The new Essential Guide seems decidedly so-so. The new format they're using in the Essential series is definitely an improvement over the 1st editions, but it's still no excuse for fluff-filled writeups. At least the old version was informative, even if the text was largely lifted from the old West End Games books.

Since some vehicles have obviously been omitted from the new edition to make room for the Clones hardware, what's been included from the previous edition? I personally wouldn't miss some of the more goofy EU vehicles.

I admit I'm very picky about my technical data. If I had to choose one over the other, this new second edition would win. The old black and white EGVV got two things wrong that really made me dislike it. They used that stupid 8 km length for the SSD and they stuck the schematics for a Victory Star Destroyer into the section for the Imperial Star Destroyer. For crying out loud the ISD is the poster child for Star Wars spacecraft...it should have been a no-brainer. So yeah, the NEGVV definitely beats out the old.

But just so you know where I stand on written content, the NEGVV contains no more or less fluff than the old one. The old EGVV is just as campy and "fact" filled as the new one. The new one may even be slightly better because of the more accurate editing, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Personally, I consider "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones Incredible Cross Sections" to be the definitive published work about any Star Wars spacecraft released to date. The book featured real scientific units, plenty of accurate data (let me say that again...accurate...that felt good), and had the most technically relevant discussion that was both entertaining and interesting. Unless someone does the same in their book, I'm always going to give the competition a lower grade.

As for stuff that got the axe, all the stations have been removed. No Death Star, Cloud City, Hosk Station, etc. Which is kinda good in a way since they are neither vehicles nor vessels. You'll be happy to know that most of the EU stuff got axed to make room for the clone hardware and like you, I don't miss the cut. Personally, the more stuff I see about the Acclamator-Class Republic Assault Ship, the better. Here's a short list

Stuff I miss from the old guide:

Death Stars

Victory Class Star Destroyer (even if it was just an RPG concontion made out of Star Destroyer concept artwork)

World Devastator

Stuff I love in the new guide:

Acclamator

Mon Calamari Cruiser (new, more accurate schematics and a great glory picture)

All the droid army materiel

All the clone army materiel

Techno Union Starship

Color pictures!

hmm, does the new book have any of the pod-racers?

I have been looking for something with ACCURATE info on them, but haven't really found anything.

Some of the episode one books had stuff, but sizes and descriptions were off, so I avoided them. Even the SW web-page has not-accurate-to-footage dimensions.

I hope this has 'em.

On a side note, any of the other books have anything worthwhile on podracers? Seems odd that they were the center of the first movie's only really good action scene...but get so little press.

ed-for spelling

Edited by Phyrox

I think the Episode I Incredible Cross-Sections is your best bet for Podracer data.

I'm glad to hear that most of the EU vehicles have been cut. Given a choice between the "Sun Crusher" and the Republic Gunship....which do you think I'd pick? ;) And the Death Star and the other stations and cities don't really belong in this book anyhow, so again there's some wise editing decisions being made.