Model Kit noob questions....

miriya

Ok so I am a noob to the model kit thing. If there is a thread like this already then my bad just please redirect me. Otherwise maybe a good place for new comers to the hobby can get guidance.

So I will start with a couple of questions here.

1. When sanding and cutting parts from a resin kit do I need to use a respirator or mask or is it fine to just freeball it so to speak?

2. What kind of tool is good for cutting large chunks off of resin parts off either from massive mold overflow or frankensteining? Would a small hack saw be good?

I am sure that I will post more questions here later. Especially since I am in the process of attempting some stuff.

Thanks.

I would recommend a mask or at least doing outside. I use the Dremel with cutting disk ( looks like mini circular saw blades) and my trusty exacto saw.

Filler I have always used Tamiya or MR but you can use auto filler too.

Hey thank you all for your help with these questions. That is very helpful. I guess it is off to the hardware store after work for me!

1. Dust mask

2. Dremel tool

3. jewelers saw

Then off to the hobby shop

1. Tamiya filler

Then to the liquor shop

1. Single malt scotch

Then to the workbench!

Hey thank you all for your help with these questions. That is very helpful. I guess it is off to the hardware store after work for me!

1. Dust mask

2. Dremel tool

3. jewelers saw

1. Tamiya filler

Then to the liquor shop

1. Single malt scotch

Then to the workbench!

Good luck with this Miriya...I am certain it will turn out wonderfully. Be careful with the Dremel though. I have close to the lowest powered one and it is POWERFUL. Also...good choice at the liquor shop ;) .

:ph34r:

Good luck with this Miriya...I am certain it will turn out wonderfully. Be careful with the Dremel though. I have close to the lowest powered one and it is POWERFUL. Also...good choice at the liquor shop ;) .

Hey it's great to know there are common interests other than Macross! Just this morning I bought a 16yr Bushmills!

Hey it's great to know there are common interests other than Macross! Just this morning I bought a 16yr Bushmills!

Sweet! I really enjoy bushmills too.

I just discovered my new favorite (affordable) scotch. It is called Highland Park and it is from the Orkney Islands (Where I have been a long time ago).

So I got a little razor saw, some MMD white putty, and a mask and have continued on my Macross Factory multiscale kit. Of course after a few shots of Jameson and a corona.

Also I have just soapy washed my Glaug kit getting it ready for priming coat. However I am seriously considering constructing this kit mostly unpainted! The parts are moulded in good colors and I thought of maybe just adding a little bit of paint here and there while leaving the plastic as it is. Of course that would be susceptible to UV discoloration which would eventually suck. In any case I will be doing this glaug in a non-cannon scheme even if I do a full paint up.

Thanks again everyone!

Thanks for the heads up Ryno. I did go to Home Despot and looked at the dremels and became overwhelmed with anxiety and fear. I ran out of that hell hole with a toddler on my shoulders!

Thanks for the heads up Ryno. I did go to Home Despot and looked at the dremels and became overwhelmed with anxiety and fear. I ran out of that hell hole with a toddler on my shoulders!

:lol: Yes yes...you must be careful when at the Home Depot. Tell that kid of yours to quite making you go there and look at powertools :D .

OK, I can't vouch for the booze, but an awesome Dremel unit is the 800. It's cordless, lasts a long time on the battery, and most important, has the lowest stock speed of any unit I've used. It has a lithium ion cell so no memory problems with charging and I've charged it and used it on and off for months before needing to charge it again! As a bonus, buy the keyless chuck ($10) and the light unit. It runs off the speed of the dremel and helps you see intricate work. The light is awesome, but you can drop the keyless chuck if you're always using 1/8" bits (their standard size). I've had my unit for two years and ou of all the rotary tools I've owned (5), it's my favorite! Oh yeah, and it comes with loads of bits in a case already! - MT

1. Dust mask

2. Dremel tool

3. jewelers saw

1. Tamiya filler

Then to the liquor shop

1. Single Double malt scotch

Then to the workbench!

You might want to also want to consider mild soap, and plastic containers of various sizes for soaking and cleaning.

OK, I can't vouch for the booze, but an awesome Dremel unit is the 800. It's cordless, lasts a long time on the battery, and most important, has the lowest stock speed of any unit I've used. It has a lithium ion cell so no memory problems with charging and I've charged it and used it on and off for months before needing to charge it again! As a bonus, buy the keyless chuck ($10) and the light unit. It runs off the speed of the dremel and helps you see intricate work. The light is awesome, but you can drop the keyless chuck if you're always using 1/8" bits (their standard size). I've had my unit for two years and ou of all the rotary tools I've owned (5), it's my favorite! Oh yeah, and it comes with loads of bits in a case already! - MT

Wow! Thanks. That is great advice. I was wondering because there are so many dremels out there.

You might want to also want to consider mild soap, and plastic containers of various sizes for soaking and cleaning.

Thank you! So far I have used my kitchen sink for soap cleaning and a dedicated tupperware for soaking (ie in pine sol for paint removal etc.). Thanks for the tip.

Also, is there really such a thing as double malt scotch? I have to say that I have never seen that.

Thank you! So far I have used my kitchen sink for soap cleaning and a dedicated tupperware for soaking (ie in pine sol for paint removal etc.). Thanks for the tip.

Also, is there really such a thing as double malt scotch? I have to say that I have never seen that.

Oops, meant to say blended. Some people refer to a double as a blend of two types of scotch, eventhough it's not really a term for this type of libation.

Oops, meant to say blended. Some people refer to a double as a blend of two types of scotch, eventhough it's not really a term for this type of libation.

Ah! Gotcha. Now I know what you are talking about.