1/144 VF-171

TSP

Like I already announced in the "what's lying on your workbench"- thread, the next update is in a separate thread. ^_^

The base kit for this conversion is the Macross 7 VF-17D/S toy model from Bandai.

For those who are to lazy to search on the main site for the actual product. Box art and its content needed to build the VF-171

th_VF17100.jpg th_VF17101.jpg

The snapped model kit looks like this.

th_VF17102.jpg th_VF17103.jpg th_VF17104.jpg

What I want to build.

th_VF171SC1.jpg

Edited by TSP

Thank you guys.

He he, great minds think alike. I've had a Talgeese shield on hold for the same thing; but for a VF-1. It's coming along great. - MT
Yeah, I always wanted to have a proper use for this part as a radome. But never found a nice kit for it. Especially fitting its size .

At the moment I am working on several things simultaneously, so progress isn't much for today. I'll try to do more these days. As you can see I've found a donor kit (poor Academy F-14 T_T) for the nosecone and cockpit section. The nose is still to pointy and requires more putty and sanding. But I'm confident it will fit the perfectly as soon as I'm done with it. I also made an opening for the left leg gattling gun and covered the intakes with styrene. Still a lot of work till it looks like a VF-171 but it well worth it. Maybe I should get another pair of VF-17s. Those small Bandai kits sure are fun to build.

th_VF17112.jpg th_VF17113.jpg th_VF17114.jpg th_VF17115.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to drop by.

Okay! Time to lower the limbo pole a bit. Those who still think 144 scale modeling isn't something serious, just don't have good eye sight or aren't willing to do more than necessary.

I changed the nose to a more Valkyrie like form and thought about a cockpit to release the "Chairman"(The pilot guy that is partly molded into the chair) from his pain of being used...At least not on/in this kit. Oh, and the canopy is almost ready. It still needs some polishing but I doubt I will get any polishing paste or micro-mesh sticks into these areas.

The first pic is only for size comparison. Someone form another forum requested it. I thought I add this without any particular reason or maybe as bonus. Now up to todays pictures.

th_VF17116.jpg th_VF17117.jpg th_VF17118.jpg th_VF17119.jpg

th_VF17120.jpg th_VF17121.jpg th_VF17122.jpg

This night will be dedicated to the cockpit interior. Thanks for taking your time.

TSP

Excellent custom you have there!

:D

I have 3 of the 1/144 VF-11s and two of the VF-19s. I do like the scale of those Bandai kits. I have yet to actually build anything though.

How difficult was it to add the fast packs to the VF-11? I was thinking that I'd like to do that.

Would you mind posting side view of the VF-11?

Excellent custom you have there!

:D

I have 3 of the 1/144 VF-11s and two of the VF-19s. I do like the scale of those Bandai kits. I have yet to actually build anything though.

How difficult was it to add the fast packs to the VF-11? I was thinking that I'd like to do that.

Would you mind posting side view of the VF-11?

Thank you!

The VF-19 requires a lot more work to convert it into something similar to scale modeling. Still have an unfinished one lying around. I want to add Soundboosters on this one. After yesterdays modeling session I'm not quite sure about the VF-19's cockpit any more. Those sounds in my head are quite annoying. The demand an detailed interior for this one too.

th_VF-19002.jpg th_VF-19003.jpg

The Thunderbolt mods where pretty easy. I used the Battroid legs for this. Cut the upper part of the legs and landing gear housing. The most intricate part was actually the Intake and chest armor area. I sanded down the whole area around the Intakes to get a more taper fuselage on the upper side of the intakes. If you would ask me for a suggestion on Fast Pack conversions now, then I would probably recommend the leg armor parts to be made of sheet styrene instead of using model kit parts. By the way. I added side rudders on mine which animation technically isn't correct. No one complained about it so I left them where they are. Still have an unbuilt VF-11 lying in the storage. Here are some shots from my Thunderbolt III.

th_VF1101.jpg th_VF1110.jpg th_VF1111.jpg th_VF1112.jpg th_VF1113.jpg th_VF1114.jpg th_VF1120.jpg

I guess I exaggerated the whole cockpit thing a bit. And now I'm thinking of building an opened canopy otherwise non of all the improvements can be seen. Maybe something like a hangar scene. *Starring at PetarB's launch arm post * Uuh maybe not. There are too much of these builds already.

The interior!

th_VF17123.jpg th_VF17124.jpg th_VF17125.jpg th_VF17126.jpg th_VF17127.jpg

Thank you for watching.

Edited by TSP

It looks just great. Where did you find the sit?

Thanks! I found the seat on my bench in form of sheet styrene. I only needed to cut it out and glue the parts. I guess the pictures would be better if I had primered the parts.

Edited by TSP

Painted the cockpit last night. Now its time to put all things together. The dash board isn't canon also the chair. I didn't took the time to correct this cause I know that this would just slow down the whole thing. Or even worse I might even loose interest finishing this and it will end up like everything else. If I can grab another one cheap I'll try to correct this. The other thing I noticed are the canopy struts. I should have made these out of gray styrene instead of white plastic card. I would spare the painting process inside the canopy if you prefer a view inside the diver's cab. Oh well next time I'll know.

There won't be any update for the next few days due to Gundam Wing GB at Hobby Fanatics. Need to get that finished too.

th_VF17128.jpg th_VF17129.jpg th_VF17130.jpg

Thank you for watching.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
bump from the dead...

hey TSP did you finished?? pics?

Sorry I was busy with a lot of other things these last 6 months and am still alive. Also want to let everyone know that I resumed work on this project today. But I'm still not sure if its worth making a mold for this Valk since I still believe that Bandai will come up with a IP kit of this fighter. At least that's what my Hunger-O-Metre (belly intuition) tells me. Maybe that's why we don't see any GK previews/announcement for VF-171 kit on WHF or WF

I'll post some progress pics tomorrow.

Cheers, TSP

Sorry for the late update. I had trouble with my computer and the Internet connectivity. Upload processes are like in the good old days of 33k modems and my Shuttle PC don't like me anymore. At least I hope the connectivity gets better during the week.

Back when I started this project there weren't much reference for the recon Valk and most of my build was only based of what I could see on the picture and my imagination. but now, after 15 episodes the whole thing look so wrong. Especially beneath. <_<

I'll try to correct some parts but I guess this build will only be a look-a-like Reconnaissance VF-171. I've made some screen captions to give you (and myself) a better picture of what I try to achieve.

th_VF171SC2.jpg th_VF171SC3.jpg th_VF171SC4.jpg th_VF171SC5.jpg th_VF171SC6.jpg

th_VF171SC7.jpg th_VF171SC8.jpg

And this is what I've done so far. There's still a lot work to do down under.

th_VF17132.jpg th_VF17133.jpg

Good night and thanks for watching todays show.

Edit: Added another picture.

Edited by TSP