VF-17S/D Nightmare

klam1020

Two quick points.

First, this isn't a garage kit you're recasting: its a Wave Kit. That not Tanmen or Gokiken-Semetsu; its a major company, which I think recasters would not like to toy with. There is also an outside chance they might re-release the kit it due to apparent inclusion of the fighter in Macross Frontier, or come up with a new one.

Second, the Wave kit isn't that rare; I've seen it from anywhere between 30 to 100 dollars. Considering the size of the current vinyl kit, I'd say that a resin recast would greatly exceed that price and just not be that economically viable.

I could be wrong about all of this but I think they are issues that you should be aware of.

I would...althought, I do have a 1/72 vinyl, but I don't know squat about working with vinyl, so I wouldn't mind havent a set in resin to make up Diamond Force...

I would like more a 1/72 fighter mode VF-17S

Well,I hope I can use the 17 B mode to build a F mode but now it just a plan^_~

I think it would be nearly impossible to convert the Wave 1/72 VF-1& resin battroid mode kit to fighter mode. I own the kit. The battroid proportions are way off for fighter mode. It would be far easier sculpting a fighter mode from scratch.

Graham

The WAVE vinyl kits are more "anime proportioned" rather than "technical lineart" to the like of Hasegawa model kits, so if Hasegawa does get the licence for it (which I doubt) it will look much different!

Coming back in getting the WAVE kit recasted, well in my opinion not worth it as an original WAVE it is not that expensive and quite readily available. The main factor though is the size of the kit, casting it out of resin will make it very heavy and not cost effective (huge mold cost, resin amount used, shipping cost etc.).

I won a bid on Ebay for a Wave VF-17 1 month ago, and I paid $70 :D

Sorry I pushed it up for you. I have bought every Vf-17 on eBay for the last couple of years except your`s and one other maybe Valkyrie addict's one.

I was thinking of making a fighter or Gerwalk using bits from the kits plus some scratch made stuff. Im in if you can do it well as it saves me the bother.

I hope that Hasegawa dont beat you/me too it.

Sorry I pushed it up for you. I have bought every Vf-17 on eBay for the last couple of years except your`s and one other maybe Valkyrie addict's one.

Don't worry, that's the Ebay law. ^_^

• 8 months later...

Dont recast or support recasters. With a couple kits mastered by myself soon i know the dangers and frustration of recasting now. Alot of people , myself included, have gone the recast route before to get certain kits but have long given it up. It isnt worth it and im sad to see it becoming commonplace on MW again. With all the original new resin kits being made available to members here and being made BY members here it is a sad thig indeed.

Dont recast or support recasters. With a couple kits mastered by myself soon i know the dangers and frustration of recasting now. Alot of people , myself included, have gone the recast route before to get certain kits but have long given it up. It isnt worth it and im sad to see it becoming commonplace on MW again. With all the original new resin kits being made available to members here and being made BY members here it is a sad thig indeed.

I'd agree with this, up to a point. I think in some cases, for long out of production kits or ones that are being hoarded purely for its rarity value, recasting actually might be beneficial, if done under certain conditions. In the case of Wave VF-17, the model certainly doesn't meet this standard; its possible to get models for around 50 dollars.

Yet on the forum there are three good example of recasts that have brought an rare kit to a wider audience; the VF-4 recast, the YF-21/22 hase Battroid conversion and the Valk Launch Arm. Seriously, would we see so many VF-4s or Launch arms constructed if a recast didn't occur?

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?act=...st&id=29703

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?act=...st&id=50763

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?act=...st&id=29520

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...=VF-4&st=40

Of course not. I tried for two years to legitimately buy YF-21 battroid conversion from Japan, willing to shell out several hundred dollars for it... far greater than what it was worth originally. I even had someone go to wonderfest to pick one up, but he was unable to secure a kit. Personally I wasn't interested in getting it to hoard, I generally build whatever I buy. If it wasn't for a member recasting it on this board I probably still wouldn't still be in possession of it or have paid an exorbitant price for it.

I should also note that in all three of the cases I outlined, the recaster actually made a far better work than the original. From what I've seen of the original, the current VF-4 kit looks like a generations ahead. The addition of brass piping on the Launch arm and its hull details blew away the original Japanese launch arm, and psychodynamic's VF-21 is far crisper from the original goigen semetsu kit. I think these people have done a service, and it shouldn't be criticized for it.

Where I agree with you about the dangers of recasting is probably true in other cases, which likely represent the majority of cases, particularly with those companies we all know exist. They are a problem. But quite a bit of the recasting done on this board is positive, and shouldn't necessarily criticized for it.

Edited by Noyhauser

Well your launch arm , launch vehicle and alot of other models are coming back out. I know who is doing it and wont say who.

Recasting is a bad thing either way you look at it. Its just YOU not wanting to WAIT for the model to come back out. So it gets recast. That recast being available makes the caster of the original not rerelease his kit since there is no market demand.

Instead of recasting things why not PM and E-mail the caster of the original. Enough interest usually gets a rerelease.

I have bought a recast or two in my time and apart from my Vf-4 and the 1/55 bits they have all been fairly meh!! I got one figure to build because I already had one boxed and wasn't about to pay the ridiculous amount wanted for another just so I could have one built. the recast has loads of holes in it and voids and even some miss cast bits. so all in all i saved some £$ but cost myself several hours in build time. I always look twice now to check that purchases are not recasts.

Well your launch arm , launch vehicle and alot of other models are coming back out. I know who is doing it and wont say who.

Recasting is a bad thing either way you look at it. Its just YOU not wanting to WAIT for the model to come back out. So it gets recast. That recast being available makes the caster of the original not rerelease his kit since there is no market demand.

Instead of recasting things why not PM and E-mail the caster of the original. Enough interest usually gets a rerelease.

I agree with you wholeheartedly; I'm happy to buy originals operate under the exact policy that you outlined. Still though there is I think a legitimate market for some recasting to occur. Quite a few of the kits recasted on here are long out of print patterns that won't see the light of day unless reproduced, since the remaining kits are basically being hoarded for their collector value alone. This is why I brought up the three examples.

First, with the Valkyrie launch arm, I think you've misunderstood me. The original launch arm was a japanese production long out of production, which gundamhead fixed up, added a nice base (which made it far superior), and then sold to many on here, including myself. Its debatable whether it should be consider it a recast, so maybe its not the best example. However I doubt that Musasiya is ever going to recast its 1980s VF-4 kit, given its 20 years old and the company has been out of the regular models models business for at least the last 10 years, if not longer (they do figures now.) Tect has all but folded up and doesn't exist, so I can't email them to remake their 1/144 add on kits... which is why someone on here recasted the VF-11 Full Armor applique kit recently. Its not a matter of waiting for the model to come back out; it won't ever come back unless a recast is issued. Its quite likely the original molds have long since been destroyed in many of these cases.

I didn't mean to come off as an ass on this, I just think there are circumstances where it should be considered.

Edited by Noyhauser