Olyphant's Hitman shooting blanks

bsu legato

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=12104

Twitchfilm is reporting that director Xavier Gens has been thrown off the film in the final stages of editing because Fox thought the movie was too violent. The site says that Nicholas De Toth has been brought in to oversee a new edit of the movie. As if the name De Toth wasn't enough to tell you he's a Bad Guy, this fellow was the same guy who edited Live Free or Die Hard down into a bloodless PG-13 version.

Not that I was hotly anticipating this movie to begin with, but it did look like it would at best be a serviceable action romp. Oh well, now at least the video game demographic can get into the theater to see Agent 47 pwnzor some nubs. lol

Saw the trailer (preview?) when I watched Balls of Fury. Don't much care for Olyphant one way or another BUT I was absolutely thrilled to see what appeared to be live action 'Jin-Roh' troopers in a firefight! Looks like it'll be at least a good afternoon matinee, regardless of the amount of blood spilled on screen.

now at least the video game demographic can get into the theater to see Agent 47 pwnzor some nubs. lol

the game is rated mature for 17+ i think that should have been the demographic for the movie not some kiddy show...

• 1 month later...

Saw the movie, it is rated R for those who don't know and it was good. The best video game movie i have seen. I haven't played any of the games but the fact that it wasn't lame or too over the top and felt like a straight forward movie puts it there. It is basically you cliche hitman/ assaissin flick. Someone sets him up and he tracks them down. The cool thing is you don't know why they set him up or who, he just goes about doing the job he is supposed to do. Some people will see this as a flaw but i kind of like when everything is not explained. That's just me.

Saw the movie, it is rated R for those who don't know and it was good. The best video game movie i have seen. I haven't played any of the games but the fact that it wasn't lame or too over the top and felt like a straight forward movie puts it there.

Hmm...Ima gonna' have to see this now...

Timothy Olyphant was good as a calculating hitman. Parts of the movie reminded me of the Star Wars Bounty Hunter Wars where he sets stuff up so far in advance you don't see it coming till the end. Also for those wondering if they play up the religious angle that the commercials are selling it is false. I don't think there was ever mention of him being a saint or blessed or anything. You see a priest at the beginning or someone dressed like one but it has nothing to do with the story. I do recommend this film for anyone looking for a good action flick, or anyone who has like real nice suits with red ties.

The cool thing is you don't know why they set him up or who, he just goes about doing the job he is supposed to do. Some people will see this as a flaw but i kind of like when everything is not explained. That's just me.

In case you weren't paying attention, they did explain.

The fake Russian president is someone important to the Organization's goals and probably is a member himself. Agent 47 was used to kill the real president, and since he was the only one left involved in the whole conspiracy, they wanted to kill him.

The movie is just ok. It had nothing to do with the game's plot except the title character, Agent 47, which is quite a shame since the game reveals more about the Organization and a better plot as to why they betrayed him. This show is kinda cliched with the "master assasin" who everyone wants to kill but he is always 2 steps ahead, the cop that has a unhealthy obsession in catching the guy, and the beautiful girl caught in the whole mess. Yeah...sorta like Bourne movies. :lol:

Agent 47 is supposed to be a professional silent killer but in the movie he was depicted like some kinda Chow Yun Fat one against many guy. Hell they even thew in other bald guys to fight him. Oh gee....how clandestine of the super secret organization.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, I thought I replied here earlier, oh well.

I just got back from it. As I fan of the games (though it's been awhile, and I'd never managed to beat any of them), I had my reservations. Olyphant didn't have the look in the trailers, though he did work in the film better than I feared. I till missed 47's calm deeanor and clipped voice. Olyphant's 47 was a little too brash at times. Though he's way better than if Vin Diesel had played the part as planned.

Still, simplified/cliched or not, it was still a fun film and stayed reasonable grounded. Like kanedaestes said, it doesn't get too over the top, and sort of feels like the game if you don't pride yourself on heavy stealth. Sure, I'd have liked him to be a bit more subtle at times, but pacing demands something a little faster. About the only thing I didn't get was the girl. She served her eye-candy purpoe well, and did allow some introspection into 47's character, but I culdn't quite get how she got all lovey-dovey in their one sided releationship, nor why she refused to ever listen to him.

I did like the little nods to the games as well.

As usual, it's not as close to the games as it could've been, but it was still an enjoyable film, and better than most like it. I'd even not mind a sequel.

Though maybe I'm biased after having been droned to death by The Boring Compass right before seeing it....

I agree I thought it was pretty good, alot better than what it could have been. . .