I have an insane idea. First I need a Bootleg Perfect Memory.

Macrossmaster

OK, goofy idea here, and one I almost certainly can't make happen, in terms of language skills. With the advent of bootleg Perfect Memory books being available mostly cheap, has anyone though of cutting one up to scan fully, then translating it and PDF'ing the whole shebang? I used to be a graphic designer, so I could scan and assemble all the pages, but couldn't do the translation. Anyone ever think of something as crazy as hacking up a PM to do this with?

OK, goofy idea here, and one I almost certainly can't make happen, in terms of language skills. With the advent of bootleg Perfect Memory books being available mostly cheap, has anyone though of cutting one up to scan fully, then translating it and PDF'ing the whole shebang? I used to be a graphic designer, so I could scan and assemble all the pages, but couldn't do the translation. Anyone ever think of something as crazy as hacking up a PM to do this with?

Some here would support the idea since the book is long since out of print, while others would not citing copyright infringement.

I have no issues personally, since the book has been out of print for over 20 years and has never been reprinted since 1986, thus the printer and authors have made their money and have since moved on.

If the book were for community purposes only, I suspect many would support it.

Wide distribution to all would probably catch the attention of the original publisher who'd then have the right to order it ceased. Whether they would or not is debatable, but they would have full rights to do so.

Who cares if some people here wouldn't support it? There are those who would, and would appreciate it, he'd be doing it for them.

I've thought of doing this very thing with several of my art books (Gall Force, Macross, Gundam: Sentinal), but the translation is just too expensive to buy, and too time-consuming and exacting for a casual fan.

If you find a willing translator, more power to you brother. Let the haters hate all they want.

Actually, there are non destructive methods of scanning material - I work for a non profit that digitizes texts ( 70,000 thus far - from 1475 to 1923) I direct one of the largest centers in North America - it can be done cheaply and fast! OCR and translation would be iffy B)) www.archive.org - Text's section.

G

Edited by protodeviln

Good luck finding a translator who would be willing to tackle an enormous project like this at a reasonable cost. By comparison, scanning the entire book would be the easy part.

My feeling is certain parts would be relatively easy. Just getting down the titles of certain mecha, etc. My feeling is the bulk of the book is minor stuff, with text heavy areas not being so major. I mean heck, if we could just get most all the captions translated that'd be a good start.

I have no issues personally, since the book has been out of print for over 20 years and has never been reprinted since 1986, thus the printer and authors have made their money and have since moved on.

Wait, wasn't it reprinted not too long ago? I got it new a few years back. Is mine a bootleg?

Wait, wasn't it reprinted not too long ago? I got it new a few years back. Is mine a bootleg?

I am only aware of 2 official printings, 1984 & 1986, so it is very possible.

Did yours come with a poster of a painting of the SDF-1?